• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mediterraneo in Providence

VivreManger

I could not with any sense of dignity recommend this restaurant. Over-sized, dull portions devoid of any seasoning and poor service. Unless you're Italian, they don't much care about you.

Was thinking of trying it this coming weekend. Any recs out there?

Mediterraneo is passable but -- now that Buddy Cianci is no longer holding court there (or at La Dolce Vita, or anywhere else in state, for that matter) -- it's not worth paying double for the so-so fare. And if you're looking for something new to try...

...head to Mike's Kitchen in Cranston, a ten minute drive from downtown. Fantastic, simple Italian in a VFW rec hall. You'll wait for a while (no reservations) surrounded by an atypical foodie crowd, and you'll be thinking, "I'm gonna kill that SOB for sending me here." But hang in there.

About an hour or so later, after you've eaten Mike's polenta (rightly paid tribute to in the Al Forno cookbook), some sausages, perhaps a stuffed artichoke if they have 'em, you'll think, "To think I was headed for that overpriced Federal Hill tourist trap! What a saint that recommender is!"

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

No offense, I know there is a lot of hype, particularly from the Al Forno crowd, but Mike's kitchen is neither good, a treasure, or anything elso for that matter. If you really want great Italian food in Providence, pick up some good pasta, sausage, ground chuck, veal, and lamb, an onion, garlic, fresh flat-leaf parsley, salt and pepper, simmer everything until it is tasty, toss with your pasta, something no one does, season again, and enjoy with your favorite beverage.