• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi-rific

This is a continuation of a thread from the kabob-slash-Todoi threads.

Tell us fellow Northwest gulletarians... where are your favorite sushi places?

Mine:

I Love Sushi Bellevue: 11818 N.E. 8th Bellevue, 425-454-5706. Low tech atmosphere, but reliable sushi.

Uijamaya Deli: 600 Fifth Ave. S., Seattle; 206-624-6248. The deli has good prepackages sushi combos. They also make to order if you don't see what you want (if you ask them nicely). I also really like the Thai place in the Village (the same people who own Racha Noodles).

Zen Sushi: 10720 S.E. Carr Rd, Renton; 425-254-1177. This is up the hill from Valley Medical Center (a few miles east of Ikea). Very nicely decorated little place with a sushi counter. Very nice people run the place.

I am not an eater who needs a swanky Belltown atmo to eat my sushi, but I wouldn't be opposed to hear about your fave swank sushi joint :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

The best sushi I've had in Seattle is at Shiro's (2nd & Battery).  Pricey, but a cut above anywhere else I've been (Nishino, I Love Sushi, Sanmi Sushi, Mashiko).

I haven't tried any of the newer places though:  Saito's, Chiso, Todai.

My favorite sushi is Albacore (shiro maguro "white tuna" ).  Melt in your mouth tender.  Love yellowtail, fresh salmon, eel, tuna, fatty tuna (toro).  I have a really hard time with salmon roe (ikura), squid (ika) and sea urchin (uni) though.

Dammit. I keep spelling Uwajimaya wrong. My apologies if you went searching for it on qwestdex.com and couldn't find it thanks to my spelling woes. Anyway, the correct spelling is: Uwajimaya. There.

This is why my nickname is The Typo Queen.

:)

And here is a link to their web site:

http://www.uwajimaya.com/retailstores_seattle.html

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this site this morning while looking for a new place to try in the International District.  It's basically a Tokyo gal (Noriko) who has moved to Seattle,  and her 4 friends reviewing Japanese Restaurants/Sushi Bars in Seattle, complete with comments.   I thought I'd pass it along for y'all to see... http://noriko.trd.or.jp/seattlee.html

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best, but certainly the cheapest! Hana on Broadway has become my favorite - not necessarily because of the quality (pretty good, not fantastically great), but because they make it affordable enough that I can eat it fairly often (ũ to ũ.50/piece for most nigiri sushi). Their Nabeyaki Udon is pretty good, too.

Also, since I didn't see it mentioned, Toyoda sushi on Lake City Way (around 125th and Lake City Way) enjoys a pretty good reputation and I wasn't disappointed the couple times I have been there.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a huge sushi fan, if I could afford it, I'd eat it every day.  Here are my favorites:

1) Mashiko's: I always have a fun time here, but sit at the bar.  Of course I believe that's true at any sushi restaurant.  Everything is fresh and you can strike up a good report with the chefs.  They love to try to freak you out!  Try and get the river crab when they're available.

2) Shiro's:  Rather pricey, but always the freshest ingredients.  They keep the sweet shrimp live behind the bar.  If they were as inventive as Mashiko's, they be the tops.

3) Wasabi Bistro:  Almost as pricey as Shiro's, good ingredients, swanky atmosphere.  You must try the Seattle tempura roll, standard Seattle role of smoked salmon, cream cheese and I think cucumber then the whole role is deep-fried with tempura batter, very tasty and very different from the other sushi restaurants.

4) Toyoda's: Less expensive than Mashiko's, good ingredients.  the sashimi plate was very elegant and rather tasty.  Make sure to get there right when they open or you'll wait an hour.

I haven't tried Nishino's, I Love Sushi or Shiki's (now serving fugu).

I like Mashiko's too.  Their sushi is not only fresh but big.  This brings me to a couple (novice) sushi questions.

Is it more proper/preferable/desirable to eat the sushi in one bite, or is 2 bites more the norm?  Smaller sushi is ok in 1 bite, but Mashiko's is too big for 1 bite.   2nd question....is it more preferable to eat sushi with chopsticks or fingers?  I'm sorry if I sound like a real sushi geek.  Although I enjoy it, I'm never sure if I'm doing it right!  Also, do you dip the sushi in the wasabi paste, or does one always mix the wasabi w/ soy sauce first (don't know why, but I like a little straight wasabi on the sushi, probably because that's how I first ate it, not knowing one mixes it with soy sauce.  Any other tips I should know so not to embarass myself at the sushi bar?  I really do love sushi! (and you're right...it's so expensive that I don't get to enjoy it often enough)...sigh.  

It was only until this last year did I learn what you're asking.

1) One or two bites?  Whatever you prefer, it isn't considered rude to take two bites as long you finish it.  Having large portions is one of the reasons why I love Mashiko's so much.  And with albacore (Mashiko's serves 'em up awlfully nice), I like to lengthen my enjoyment of it as much as possible so I'll even take three bites sometimes.

2) Fingers or chopsticks?  Likewise with two bites, it isn't considered rude to use your fingers.  Shiro (of Shiro's, can't remember his last name) told me that nearly everyone in Japan uses their fingers and since then I mainly use my hands.

3) Wasabi/soy/dipping.  I used to make a sauce of wasabi and soy until Shiro gave me bad looks and said that was a faux-pas.  And now I thank him for that because there are so many subtleties to sushi that you miss with the heavy wasabi/soy bath.  So now with the average sushi I'll just dab some wasabi on top and only rarely do I dip in soy.  But like anything, it's a matter of taste.

The best thing you can do to enjoy sushi is sit at the bar and just start talking to chef.  The chefs at Mashiko's are very friendly and can quickly ascertain your level of experience and ensure that you enjoy yourself.  As long as you're polite, you can't go wrong.  Mashiko's really delights in doing chef's choice (Omakase).  That way you're almost guaranteed to get the freshest in the restaurant because the chef knows all, plus you'll get to try new things that otherwise you wouldn't.

For instance, right now sea urchin is in season and when I went there on friday he served it on top of squid sliced in to "noodles" with flying fish roe.  The texture difference and the freshness of the sea urchin was out of this world.

Those were great explanations.  Thanks!  I will now feel much more confident at the sushi bar.  I have to admit I used to feel a little self conscience.  

The sea urchin combo you described sounds unlike anything I've ever seen before.  Sounds so intriguing and delicious!   I wonder if they do sushi w/ sea cucumber, too?

btw...I grew up watching Hogan's Heroes...it was one of my faves.

That is great advice, klink--I've been making the soy-wasabi sauce and fumbling with chopsticks even when faced with less-than-cohesive rice.

I'm going to go omakase at Shiki one of these days and let you know how it went.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

just noticed there are a couple of fascinating threads going on right now on the Japan board.  One has to do with Favorite Sushi Toppings (makes my sushi experiences look extremely weak by comparison).  The other interesting thread over there is on Favorite Japanese Foods.

Ever since the Seattle Times (11/28) mentioned that Shiki serves fugu, I've been angling to go there despite everything I've read that fugu is actually quite boring, devoid of any noticable flavor or interesting tecture.  That, and it's great expense.  Luckily though the PI mentioned a couple of weeks later that you can get nigiri pieces of fugu for only บ, definitely worth the gamble of death.  The article in the Times only mentioned the soup (๪) or a sashimi platter (๠).  I can't wait to hear your review of Shiki's mamster.

Something I forgot to mention in an earlier post about enjoying sushi if you're relatively new is stressing the importance of going on an off-night.  Friday and Saturday nights are usually crowded and consequently, unless you know the chef, you won't get as good of service.  Wednesday and Thursday nights are usually best, especially Mashiko's where there might be only one other party at the bar and you can have the complete attention of the chef.  Be forwarned that almost all sushi restaurants are closed on Sunday and Monday, although Toyoda is open on Mondays but closed on Tuesdays.

• 2 weeks later...

All right folks, I have led all of us astray.  After talking to a real sushi expert (20 yrs experience, trips to Tokyo with top sushi chefs),  I have been corrected.

1)  One or two bites?  One bite.  No matter how big the piece is, take it all down in one fell swoop.

2)  Fingers or chopsticks?  My expert says there's a point in the meal where it's acceptable to switch from chopsticks to fingers and he still hasn't figured it out.  But Shiro still says that fingers are acceptable.  Point of note, when dipping into soy (don't mix the wasabi in), don't ever, ever leave rice in the soy dish.  Major faux pas, the big chef's will have nothing but contempt and scorn for you.  But it's not much of a problem here in the less traditional sushi restaurants.

The third point about not mixing wasabi and soy is still valid.

One more tip, good sushi chefs are sick and tired of making California rolls.  If you are desperately in need one, sit at a table where you can order it in cognito, otherwise make do.  I'm seen first hand where the chef rolls his eyes when they're ordered, every time dying a little more on the inside.  Keep your sushi chef happy and s/he will go out of their way to please you.

• 3 months later...

Well, maybe this topic is dead now, but let's get it going again. Sushi is always at the top of my mind.

Being someone who is frequently in Olympia (though I live in Seattle) I have to give props where they are due. Osaka is the best sushi around (that I have been to anyway).

Osaka Japanese restaurant

7265 Martin Way East. Olympia, WA 98516

Reservations (360) 413-3911

www.osakajapanese.com

Awesome tempura, geoduck sauteed in ginger and butter. The tastiest uni.

I haven't been to Shiro's, Shiki or Nishino but I think it is much better than Toyoda at about the same price, maybe a little cheaper. So if you are in the neighborhood . . . why not, eh?

They also have a spicy fish soup that you will never be able to finish but is exquisite.

My husband and I ordered omakase at Shiki the other night.  It was not the best I've ever had, but was very good overall.  I ended up eating things I didn't like, but that was intentional.  The chef asked if we had limits, and we said no.  I still don't quite _get_ uni, but at least I tried it again.  I felt really rushed, though.  The chef works extremely fast, and I felt like I had to eat fast, which I didn't enjoy.  It was my birthday, and I wanted one of those leisurely omakase experiences I'd heard about.  One point I wanted to make is that Shiki's sushi is so BIG, I simply cannot eat a piece of nigiri in one bite.  No can do.

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I agree that Shiki's is not the best I've ever had although the quality of his fish is top rate and he keeps a tank full of sweet shrimp right on the bar. That was really cool. Shiki's was the first place I've been to where a nigiri piece (sweet shrimp) actually twitched in front of me. I have nothing less than superlatives (good ones) for that experience. Yes, Yamamoto is the fastest chef I've had omakase for but I didn't find it too distracting.

My only grief, and it is only a minor one, is Yamamoto's lack of originality. He served ONLY nigiri. MsRamsey, did you find that as well? After going to Mashiko's (I'm also going there tonight) and seeing what the vast array of talent behind the bar can put out, I like seeing a lot of variety. But damn, everything that Yamamoto put in front of me at Shiki's was really tasty.

My only grief, and it is only a minor one, is Yamamoto's lack of originality. He served ONLY nigiri.

You are right on the money, klink.  Nigiri and rolls.  This was especially too bad because it was Monday, it was pretty empty, and he was idle most of the time.  He could've gotten creative because he had the time.  Also, there was a tank of active little crabs right next to us that we kept eyeballing.  My husband inquired about the crabs, and all Yamamoto would say was "appetizer."  I don't know what's up with that; we were polite and spent a lot of money.  We did get to try the sweet shrimp, which was very nice.

Next time I do omakase, it's going to be Shiro's.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

klink and I had the crabs.  Boy, that didn't sound right.  Let me start again.

Yamamoto served some fried river crabs to me and klink.  Klink specifically asked for them, but it sounds like you did also.  Maybe ck just exudes a sushi savvy to which chefs can't say no.

The crabs were awesome, by the way, crunchy little explosions of crab flavor.

Oh! I forgot to mention Maneki. I was very surprised to see that it made it on Seattle Weekly's top 100. I am actually surprised that anyone has heard of it besides me and the people who introduced it to me.

The clearest thing that I remember about this oldschool place was the monkfish liver. An eye opening experience. By this I mean, sort of like the first time you try uni and your eyes fly open (is this odd texture something that should be resting on my tongue?). Something so intense is a rare thing to experience, especially in dining.

I am reminded of the time that a vegan friend of mine let me cook whatever I wanted for her as long as it was not meat. I served oysters and she had to stop after two. In her words she felt "too high." She didn't think that she handle another. (Her eyes were shining.)

Anyway, I am getting sidetracked. I will always hold Maneki in a dear place for this feeling. Good, clean tastes.

One more thing:

The last time I was there, was last summer at the height of Ichiro and Sasaki. We were sweltering and our server brought us cold slices of watermelon after the meal while we were struggling to move.

Both Todai (in Redmond Town Center) and Nikko (in the Seattle Westin Hotel) are all-you-can-eat for a fixed price.  The quality suffers considerably, of course.

From what it looked like to me, Todai's sushi is machine-made.  They take a slab of rice and squish it in a press to create a whole bunch of nearly-identical patties.  Then they drop too-large strips of fish on top.  The fish might be hand-cut, but is very uniform;  I think they do a whole slab at a time.  No wasabi is used at all;  you have to add it yourself if you want it.  The result is that the sushi isn't well-balanced, and it tends to taste bland.  They do have many other items available in their buffet line.  Overall, it's not a terrible place, but I wouldn't recommend going unless you simply want to stuff yourself.

Nikko is slightly better for sushi.  Selection is smaller, and they only have sushi, but the sushi is a little better balanced and has somewhat more flavor.  Expect long waits between servings.

Nikko charges extra if you leave any rolls uneaten (I dropped one, but wasn't charged for it;  they may allow one or two).  I don't know what Todai's policy is.

I haven't found a sushi bar that I really like since Kampai in Bellevue closed several years ago.  The Belltown ones are ok but very expensive.

My husband inquired about the crabs, and all Yamamoto would say was "appetizer."  I don't know what's up with that; we were polite and spent a lot of money.  We did get to try the sweet shrimp, which was very nice.

I can't believe he didn't give you the sawagani! That and the very fresh sweet shrimp are the best reasons to go to Shiki. Have you had the crab before? They're pretty tasty and totally cool to eat. I think it's just amazing that you eat 'em whole: shells, legs and all. If it makes you feel any better, the place was almost empty when mamster and I went and he had plenty of spare time to waste on artisnal pieces. I think he's just more of a tradionalist.

The best omakase in town is Mashiko's although I still haven't tried Nishino. There's a little more variety at Shiro's than Shiki's but I find Mashiko's much more enjoyable. They have a more relaxed atmosphere and they've come up with very memorable experiecnes for me. Don't get me wrong, Shiro's quality is fantastic and you'll definitely like the experience, but after going to Mashiko's, it prefer the later. If you're lucky, they'll have the baby octopi! They're so cute and tender. If you squeeze your eyes tight, you can imagine that you're a big fish and one of 'em floats by and you inhale them. But if you had them raw, I bet they'd be chewier.

I was at Mashiko's last week (and I'll be going again on Saturday) and they had both the baby octopi and the sawagani but we had to ask for them. The one new item I had was golden trout, deep fried whole and served on a bed of vinegared vermicelli and seaweed, very tasty. The scallops served in the shell were also quite scrumptious. MsRamsey, when you go to Mashiko's make sure you get their albacore, it's my favorite item they serve and I'd almost go so far as to call it their signature dish.

Welcome UnemployedBum! eGullet is a pretty cool site so watch out, pretty soon you'll be addicted.

I see that this thread was started back in December.  It's very cool to see it still going strong.

After all the talk about Mashiko (and thanks klink for so many juicy DETAILS!!), you can bet it's climbing toward the top of my list.  The rub is that I hardly ever get to West Seattle; with the husband unit out of town, I don't know who I'd be able to drag over there.  Almost all of my friends are either vegetarians, too cheap, or really unadventurous eaters.

I am kind of pissed about the sawagani thing, since it was really empty the night we were there too.  We even used the best *sushi* etiquette we knew how.  But I won't dwell.  The dinner was very tasty.  It was really up to us to be more clear about what we wanted, right?!

Love the Mashiko website, sushiwhore.com.  Hilarious!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

You can drag me!  And I'll bet you can drag klink and Batgrrrl, too.

I was hoping Shiki would have more of the Mashiko-style fireworks I'd heard about, too.  It was my first omakase experience, though, and probably represents a good baseline, in that it was mostly very ordinary but high quality pieces.