• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam and Harry's Half-Priced Wine

Busboy

When Mrs. Busboy travels to Denver, as she does regularly, she brings back astounding beef from Oliver's Meat Market on Sixth, so most of my steak-eating is done at home. But every summer we try to make to Sam and Harry's during their half-price wine special -- every bottle, every Friday and Saturday between July 4th and Labor Day, for half the listed price. It's not the most creative list in the world, but if you're in the mood for a night of big red wines and big red steaks, followed by a relatively small check, it's a pretty good way to spend the evening.

See you there.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We usually go for the lower-end bottles (compared to the reserves, anyway). Given how easy it is to drop $40 on a forgettable bottle of plonk in a restaurant these days, getting something that is, imo, pretty nice for $50-75 is a pleasant change.

I'm on the pavement

In my own narrow sphere of interest, there's at least one really good deal among the more esoteric choices on that list: the Rust en Vrede Estate 1998. $34 would be under retail for an excellent vintage (WS 90+, Top 100, if that sort of thing appeals to you) of what is arguably South Africa's best Bordeaux blend.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

How's da food at that place?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sam & Harry's has always been my favorite steakhouse, but I am no expert -- especially with the beef explosion of the last few years. It definitely serves better steaks than the Palm or Ruth's Chris, two places where I've dined relatively recently, and in years past I have found it as good or better than Capitol Grille, The Prime Rib, and Nick & Stephs. My one experience at Smith and Wolensky's was so disappointing that I assume it was an aberration.

I think you're safe in assuming that it's in that top tier of beef joints where, unless you've got a particular favorite, they're all turning out pretty good chow. They also do pretty decent grilled fish -- tuna, swordfish and the like -- or so I have heard.

I'm on the pavement

I'm glad others noted the glaring inconsistencies in their wine mark-ups.

My personal favorite was the Fonseca Bin 27 port - about $18 retail listed for $65.

On the good side, the 1999 Cakebread Cab at $115. The 2000 is retailing for $60 (CalvertWoodley) and $80 (Total Wine)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm glad others noted the glaring inconsistencies in their wine mark-ups.

My personal favorite was the Fonseca Bin 27 port - about $18 retail listed for $65.

On the good side, the 1999 Cakebread Cab at $115. The 2000 is retailing for $60 (CalvertWoodley) and $80 (Total Wine)

Ever go to a department store during a "sale"? Everything is 40-60% off. 40-60% off what? Full retail, of course.

Mark

Does anyone know if this applies to Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon too?

Had lunch at the Tap Room on Monday and didn't see any mention of a half-price deal on their wine list. I will make inquiry if i stop by there this evening (depending on the weather) on the way home.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Yes, some of these wines are way too expensive, even at half-price, but there are some pretty nice cherries to pick from this list as well. Prices are all over the board.

If any particular cherries jump out at you, please feel free to post them -- my experience these days is mostly with under-$20 bottles of non-cabernets, so my ability to pick a winner during my occasional splurge is a little handicapped.

I'm on the pavement