• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great burgers

If I'm not working when you meat....(Get it? :laugh: ) I am SO in....

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I think I mentioned this in a different thread, but I would put in a plug for the burgers at Collins Pub for the gourmet category. I had one there a couple months ago with sauteed wild mushrooms and boursin that was excellent.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

wonderful! i'm in. there are too few places in seattle (as far as i'm aware) that even allow doneness to be self-determined...even elliot bay brewery - makers of a decent burger have to go into the flat category because they won't cook it to spec.

is this to be gourmet only? (defined as burgers ordered to desired doneness)?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

This sounds like fun. I'm in.

Oh, and Palace sounds like a good place to start and I also think "Friend of Chuck" is confusing what with a chuck posting and all. I like Ground Roundup. Maybe at the first "meeting" we can all bring our suggestions of burgers to try so we can create a master list.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

back to topic for a moment...

on queen anne, the best burger is at the hilltop ale house.

mcmenimins is ok, but i won't head out there unless prompted by others.

of course, there's a few hundred feet of elevation between the two...

My favorite burgers thus far have been:

the cheeseburger w/blue cheese as the cheese of choice :biggrin: at

Rocksport Bar & Grill 4209 SW Alaska, Seattle, WA 98116. The fries were pretty good too, not to mention the pitchers of beer off the tap.:P (I still dream about the burger.)

the 5 Alarm Burger at Red Robin. (The blue cheese burger there was kinda tasteless). I'm a student so it's more than I'd like to spend on a burger. :wacko:

I love my burgers juicy with fresh crisp lettuce and tomato. Spicy sauce and stinky cheese can sub in for one or both of those though. :raz:

It's been awhile since I've been, but I seem to remember getting agood burge at Bings in Madison Park.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

It's been awhile since I've been, but I seem to remember getting agood burge at Bings in Madison Park.

We were at Bing's a few months ago. It was spendy, and I couldn't recommend anything that we ate there, including the hamburger.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

i've had mixed luck at circa in WS. once it was overdone, once good. no pickles though, which is big let down.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Has anyone compared the Palace Kitchen Burger to that of The Dahlia Lounge and/or Etta's? (I didn't see a burger on the online menu for Lola). I am wondering if they are all essentially the same, (they are similiarly descrribed and are all $11) or if there are noticable differences in Tom Douglas' various establishments.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

My favorite burgers thus far have been:

the cheeseburger w/blue cheese as the cheese of choice  :biggrin: at

Rocksport Bar & Grill 4209 SW Alaska, Seattle, WA 98116.  The fries were pretty good too, not to mention the pitchers of beer off the tap.:P  (I still dream about the burger.)

the 5 Alarm Burger at Red Robin.  (The blue cheese burger there was kinda tasteless).  I'm a student so it's more than I'd like to spend on a burger. :wacko:

I love my burgers juicy with fresh crisp lettuce and tomato.  Spicy sauce and stinky cheese can sub in for one or both of those though.  :raz:

Mmmmmmm. Blue cheese burgers...I live up the street from Piper's Creek Pub (105th & Greenwood) and their blue cheese burger is quite tasty! Especially on Mondays - 2 for 1 burger night!

Some years ago I vowed never to spend $10 on a burger. Then I broke down one night at Bick's. Damn them! I really liked it. I actually thought it was worth the price. Even though I haven't had one recently, I'm sure they're still up to snuff.

The burger experience I miss the most is the long gone 318 Tavern. Ahhhh, messy goodness, with copious grilled onions, hand cut fries and cold Bud!

• 11 months later...

I have had great burgers at Jitterbug lately. The patties are hand formed and quite big. Great bun too, and the fries are thick home-made, but crispy and not at all greasy.

I also had a very good burger at Norm's Eatery in Fremont.

Both places cooked the burgers medium rare, as ordered.