• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great burgers

OHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

(Duh...Not enough Coffee yet... Thanks!)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Did the Oceanaire burger go up to $20? Damn. I think it was $15 when I had it. I've gotten it a couple of times and they definitely have trouble cooking it right. The first time, I had to send mine back because it was overdone. The second time, mine was perfect but my friend's was torched. Even at its best, though, it's no better than the Palace burger.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Cam and I finally made it to CC's Gourmet Burgers this weekend. We always seem to get the burger jones on a Sunday when they're closed, but this time we thought of it on Friday. Yahoo!

Despite the name, this is ain't gourmet fare... but then, for $4.25 for a cheeseburger, I am not complaining. They do a damned tasty rendition of the 'seattle smashpatty' style of burger (a la Dick's, Burgermaster, et.al.). It was certainly tastier than a lot of $10 burgers I've had in restaurants.

If your tastes run to the gargantuan, then perhaps an "Every Thang Burger" -- patty, bacon, hotlink, grilled onion, pepper jack, and American cheese -- might hit the spot, for a mere $6.25! Their skin-on fries are a tad soggy, but the fact that they're made on the premises (and not bought in a huge frozen sack at Cash n Carry) makes up for a lot. Next time I might try the onion rings...

The decor was sparse but bright and clean as a whistle; the service was genuine and friendly, and the clientele was a cheerful mix of locals.

As we finished up, I was moved to quote Samuel L. Jackson: "Mmm-mm! That's a mighty tasty burger."

CC's Burgers

2600 E. Union (at 26th Ave)

Seattle, WA 98122

206/324-2119

Hours:

Monday 12-8pm

Tues-Fri 11-2:30 and 3:15-8

Saturday 1-8pm

Sunday closed

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I like Red Robin and Red Mill, but I would also add The Six Arms "Captain Neon" burger as one of my favorites. Scooters is good, but I don't think it is much different than Kidd Valley.

Maybe a good question is what do you look for in a good burger? I like a toasted sesame seed bun and a seasoned,hand-formed patty of at least a third of a pound. On it I like sautee'd mushrooms, thick sliced crisp bacon, fresh green lettuce, thin slices of red onion, sliced dill pickles, and either Ketchup & Mayo, 1000 Island Dressing, or "Hamburger" sauce.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I have two burger categories -- let's just call them 'flat' and 'gourmet' -- that I judge completely differently.

A flat burger should be juicy, tasty, and at least a bit messy. Aside from violently overdone, there's no allowance for doneness in this category. It also shouldn't cost more than $5, with cheese; fries can be extra. Minimum condiments here: lettuce, mayo, ketchup, cheese. There should be fries available, bonus for those made on the premises.

A gourmet burger should have, at a minimum:

- beef ground on the premises

- hand-formed patty, thick enough to allow for measurable degrees of doneness

- juicy, beefy-tasting meat

- a bun that adds to the experience

- a full roster of condiment options. I'll condone reasonable additional cost for things like cheese, bacon, mushrooms, and the like. Minimum list in this category includes lettuce, ketchup, good mustard, mayo or thousand island, good pickles, onion slices. Extra points for interesting cheese or house-made condiments, with the distinct exception on ketchup, which must be Heinz.

- Good fries, made from scratch. A small salad should be graciously offered as a substitution, at no or minimal charge.

- Price isn't a big issue here, but I get cranky if it's more than $15 with the fries and add-ons.

Not that I have strong opinions. :biggrin:

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

I know I am in the minority, but I guess I prefer the factory "Ore-Ida" steak-cut style fry at red Robin, over the hand cut variety of Dick's because I find Red Robin's to be, crisper and less greasy. When I pick up a fry it should not bend.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Next time I might try the onion rings...

The rings are great, shakes are well above average as well. Glad you like CC's.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Ahh...Anita. Tyhe next time we meet I will get on my knees and bow before you. Thanks for the needed slap upside the head and the reminder of the Palace Burger.

We wnet there last night after seeing the horribly disapointing "House of Flying Daggers", which was a good place to take a nap, except for when I was cringing at the end fight scene. Anyway, I digress...

Man, Place Kitchen was DARK! We had to move the candle that was on the table over to read the menu. We both had the burger, Amber was going to get it medium but I talked her out of it. (She was glad I did) She had hers with Bacon and Blue Cheese, and while I am normally a bacon cheeseburger kind og guy, I just had to have the beef with no competition last night. Just had lettuce, 2 of the pickled tomatos, (had put all of them on, but then I remembered,) mayo and ketchup.

Wow, was it goooooood. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly done, good bun that was not too thick but didn't get all sogged out from the wonderfully juicy burger....My only "beef" (har har har) with it was that it wasn't big enough! Loved the fries, even though they were of the type to cool down real real fast. (Still good, though)

Absolutely hit the spot. THANK YOU :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Ahh...Anita. Tyhe next time we meet I will get on my knees and bow before you. Thanks for the needed slap upside the head and the reminder of the Palace Burger.

<snip>

Wow, was it goooooood.

Glad to have made another Palace burger convert.

Yes, it's dark in there! I, for one, love Palace for those nights when I don't feel like doing the whole hair-and-makeup thing. (You probably won't find this as compelling, oddly enough...)

Speaking of gender-specific benefits: Next time you go, have Amber tell you about the larger stall in the ladies' room. It's almost as much fun as the burger.

~Anita

Amen to the Palace burger. Share the burger and start with the house-made sopresatta if it's on the menu, or (especially) the pork cheeks if they're available. A lot of folks turn their noses up at Palace, but there are some things they do just about perfectly every time and the burger is one of 'em.

edited to add:

Oh, and about the Captain Neons at the McMennamin locations: I agree... great burgers somewhere between the "flat" and "gourmet" styles Anita describes. The meat is almost certainly prepressed and quite small, but the buns and sauce are great. The fries are sloppy...

As a side note, I refuse to eat at Six Arms. I used to live in Oregon and ate at McMens all over the place, but Six Arms is consistently awful IMHO. I don't know what it is.

Edited by jrt (log)

I used to live in Oregon and ate at McMens all over the place, but Six Arms is consistently awful IMHO.  I don't know what it is.

I feel the same way about the one in Lower Queen Anne. I really want to like them, but <shudder> we've had too many terrible meals there. Not to mention the time I watched them try to douse a kitchen fire with all manner of flammable materials. :blink:

~A

Mmmmm, burgers :raz: Just reading about them makes me crave one.

I absolutely agree with Anita on the burger categories. Red Mill is my favorite for the flat-type, but it must be the pepper bacon cheeseburger with extra mill sauce, onion, extra pickles, lettuce, tomato and ketchup. I've tried the plain cheeseburger and it just aint the same......Dick's is ok, but not growing up here, I'm not sure I totally get it and I hate not being able to customize (see, I obviously don't get it :rolleyes: )

As far as the gourmet burger goes, I haven't had the Palace Burger myself (but SeaGuy has and loves it), but I had the similar burger for lunch in the bar at Dahlia one day and it was mighty tasty--medium rare and the fries were excellent. I want to try the Palace burger, but everytime I go there, I get seduced by other things on the menu, like the aforementioned pork cheeks or the recently amazing duck leg confit with venison sausage...yumm.

Maple Leaf Grill used to do a great thick burger with blue cheese and they had really, really good real fries (with skins on), but I haven't been there in a while. Guess I'll have to get back over there.

We've also had nothing but bad experiences at the Lower Queen Anne McMen's and we won't go back. Is there anyplace else in that area that does a good burger?

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

We've also had nothing but bad experiences at the Lower Queen Anne McMen's and we won't go back.  Is there anyplace else in that area that does a good burger?

Jan

In Lower Queen Anne? Note that I'm aware of, but not far away are Cyclops and Rendezvous, both in Belltown and each does a decent burger. Cyclops' is much better than the vous', IMHO. They used to make a cinnamon spiced catsup to go alongside it, but it appears it wasn't liked by many (probably just myself :angry: ).

Based on the activity level in this thread and others of late, I wonder if we have enough interest here to do something similar to -- and note here that I am looking over my shoulder and whispering -- Burger Club here in Seattle.

For those of you (blissfully) unaware, the original BC premise was to gather a group together to try burgers at various locations, evaluate them. There was a (somewhat draconian, IMHO) set of rules -- including things like "no bacon" and "no meat but beef". As I recall, the whole thing devolved into controversy and catastrophe on the NYC board, but I think that the London group still meets, somewhat irregularly (We had some burgers with them last winter) and there's apparently a Vancouver chapter as well.

I think it would be fun to do something similar. We'd just have to call it something else. Maybe "the Committee for Not-So-Mad Cows" or "Patty Patrol" :laugh:

~Anita

Based on the activity level in this thread and others of late, I wonder if we have enough interest here to do something similar to -- and note here that I am looking over my shoulder and whispering -- Burger Club here in Seattle.

I think it would be fun to do something similar. We'd just have to call it something else. Maybe "the Committee for Not-So-Mad Cows" or "Patty Patrol"  :laugh:

~Anita

LOL--or Ground Round-Ups, or Hamburger Query's :raz:

This sounds like a good idea, although, hopefully we wouldn't sample multiple burgers in one day....not sure if I could handle that much goodness :biggrin:

How about a "Burger of the Month" Club?

Jan

*edited to fix silly club name goof.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

sign me up for the Burger of the Month Club! But must we really forgoe bacon? :sad:

Given all the raves about Palace Kitchen do we start there, or. to be kind to the contenders do we finish there?

I had to stop by Kid Valley this afternoon because reading all of these posts earlier in the day had infiltrated my brain & they were the only burger place near where I was driving at the time. Dissapointing compared with what I really wanted, but it filled the void. [what DONT they put in thier tartar sauce that it is so bland? And WHO doesn't put salt on thier FRIES??!!??] Later this week I will probably have to go buy some good beef & all the fixings & make the real thing at home... :rolleyes:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Since this won't be an official incarnation of Burger Club, I suggest we don't lay down any such rules. Except, perhaps, that all in attendence *must* order a burger.

Toppings, degree of doneness, fries vs. salad. vs. rings ... these are all highly personal decisions.

I'd say we start with Palace to give us a good baseline. :smile: Plus, they have that cool room to the side for large parties. Once summer comes, we could do a potluck grill-your-own, too.

~Anita

I haven't tried 'em, but Fish Club has a good sounding burger too. On the lunch menu:

SEASONED KOBE BURGER

with Tillamook cheddar cheese,

Sautéed onions and mushrooms 12

Of course, their chef is a Douglas alumni as well.

I vote that it's called Friends of Chuck, I also vote that we have the initial meeting at Palace. I have had the private room there before and it is fun! I can just imagine the waiters face when the whole table orders the burger.

Can we have great wine too?? Oh I love a burger with wine. It's what makes Palace one of my favs instead of Red Mill. haha! Count us in!

Can we have great wine too?? Oh I love a burger with wine. It's what makes Palace one of my favs instead of Red Mill. haha! Count us in!

Uh, yeah, sure. I just happen to have three bottles of Latour 2000. Or do you prefer amarone?

:laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Can we have great wine too??

'Tis not for the Friends of Chuck / Patty Patrol / Ground Roundup to make proclamations about beverage choices.

I propose the following bylaws:

1) You must order a burger.

2) Once you've RSVPd, call or PM if you're not going to show.

3) Split the check fair and square.

4) Other than these, the only rule is "Do whatcha like.

As for the name: Given that we have a Chuck among us, I think "FoC" is perhaps a little too confusing... much as I like it.

Shall we start a new thread, start planning a date, etc?

~Anita