• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great burgers

I'm wondering where to get the best burgers in the Northwest -- from Centralia to Bellingham. Anyone want to weigh in with their faves beyond the usual suspects --- Dick's, Kidd Valley and Red Mill. Of course, if you really really dig those burgs, tell us why!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

God forbid that I must beat my own drum but I like our beef discs here at the onion. Believe it or not I actually head to Luau for burgers. They have the funkiest version around. As for ones I do not like at all...Whibleys which used to be great has changed for the worse and the Burger shack on the Ave. is my #1 all time most unfavorite burger. It was red dyed meat product with raw potato hunks "boiled" in oil. I still like Red Robin. Maybe I should open a cool burger place!!!

Not far from papa's place, at 65th and Roosevelt, is the Primo Burger.  The burgers are weak, but they have really unusual fries that I often get a craving for.  They're essential potato chips cut thick enough that they don't crisp all the way through.  I like fries with a lot of surface area, and theirs fill the bill.  This does not, of course, answer the original poster's question about burgers;  I actually like Kidd Valley pretty well, haven't tried any of the steakhouse burgers, and occasionally make one at home from home-ground chuck in the cast-iron skillet.  Hard to beat.

Hey, why don't any of the local bakeries make burger or hot dog buns?  There's the Grand Central bolo, but it's too substantial for a burger, and it seems like there's a real niche for a better-than-Franz bun.  Anyone know of something I've missed?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

• 1 month later...

I like the burgers at Chili's.  We get the Old Timer's (I think that's what they're called.)  A nice, thick hamburger, nice and brown on the outside, in a good, hearty bun, with lettuce, onion, tomato, and crispy fries!  They're the same in WA as they are in HI!  My son LOVES Kidd Valley.  He wishes we had one here (Honolulu).  As for me, I love Kidd Valley's fish sandwich, but that's another story.  I wish I were back in Seattle now!

• 6 months later...

Yes, its Malarkey resurrecting a long dead topic. BURGERS! That's because y'all didn't discuss it enough ;-)

I do like Red Mill, the Phinney location.

BUT, I sigh when I remember Green Lake Jake's, now dead & gone for several years. real fries, (by that I mean not frozen) burgers juicy and huge, and shakes to die for.

Daly's. Now, its been awhile since I've gone here, and its somewhat seedy and the help lets the panhandlers hang in there, but they did, or still do, have some really fine burger fare. Fries always piping hot, burgers thick with great toppings, you can sit & look out at Lake Union.

Two Bells. Great burgers, drawback: no fries.

The Pumphouse: on 8th in Bellevue. used to be a seedy bar, now is cleaned up, non-smoking and still serving those great burgers. real fries here too.

Burgermaster: will do it in a pinch. still ranks over Dick's in my mind, foodwise. I think its maybe because of the romance of a drive up. "Dine in your car!"

Fat Burger: Redmond: had it, it didn't make me crazy for more.

Diner Burger Award: goes to the Woodinville Cafe. Crinkle cut fries, even though frozen, hold a special place in my heart.

IMO, there is a shortage of great burger spots. Green Lake Jakes was the epitomy of that. Or, am I missing something somewhere???

Born Free, Now Expensive

The Nickerson Street Saloon has served an excellent burger. I don't know anymore because I haven't had one there in a while, and I noticed that they took the garlic burger off the menu.

I do like Red Mill. I don't like most fries, but love onion rings. Too bad Dick's doesn't have 'em. I once stood behind a drunk person at the Dick's window, demanding the order of rings he thought he had paid for. They tried strenuously to explain, "Dude, we don't even *have* onion rings," but the guy wouldn't listen. :raz:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Red Robin's burger's are all right, but I don't like the idea of spending $9 on a hamburger.

That's why I second Red Mill on Phinney Ridge. It's my favorite, their bacon cheese burger is scrum-diddly-umptious. In a pinch I'll go to Kidd Valley 'cause I like their fried mushrooms but I like Primo burger better. Probably because I like the idea of ordering a "big kahoona burger."

I'm a sucker for onion rings too, and Red Mill's are great. I find their burgers merely good.

Over on Cooking (the "making hamburger meat" thread, which I am too lazy to link to), Fat Guy is holding forth on the supremacy of burgers made with hand-chopped meat. I'm going to give this a whirl soon and report back.

Is it something about our restaurants, our DIY attitude, or my moderation skills that turn every thread toward home cooking sooner or later?

Speaking of home cooking and onion rings, a great party dish is onion fritters--rather than going the rings route, you just slice the onions into slivers, toss them with the batter, and add spoonfuls to the hot oil.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I don't like burgers. Yet I post to this thread. Why? I agree with klink about the bacon cheeseburger at Red Mill, only I order it without the hamburger patty. Bacon-cheesy sandwich, plus fries with a side of mill sauce, plus a creamsicle shake, equal the best fast-food meal ever.

The onion rings are also very very good, but I love to dip the fries in mill sauce. I've eaten at the other Red Mill location on Dravus; the food was excellent and it's often less crowded than Phinney.

Has anyone tried Scooter's Burgers in Ballard? I've heard they have good shakes and sandwiches.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Oh oh! I love Red Mill. I think I might try the Laurie A-B special next time! But I usually get either the veggie or regular burger with the big chile on it. Yummy! Also, MUST HAVE onion rings.

And, because I live in the South End (which some refer to simply as "Hell"), I have to give props to a place in Pierce County called Wally's. It's a little drive-in located in Buckley that serves a mean char burger that could almost (but not quite) rival that found at In-N-Out burger, which is my all time fave burger joint (too bad they won't come north).

Also, at Wally's, they've got amazing onion rings which rival those found at Red Mill. So, if you're ever on your way to Mt. Rainier on Hwy 410, Wally's is right there in Buckley.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

And, because I live in the South End (which some refer to simply as "Hell")

No, I wouldn't say that, I once spent a weekend in the suicide capital of Washington, Aberdeen, and I'd rather be in your neck of the woods than there. Luckily there was plenty, and I mean plenty, of booze at the reception and the ceremony was very short.

I should have noted in my earlier post that I rarely eat hamburgers. Even before I read Fast Food Nation, I rarely ate hamburgers. However, despite that, I have never had the evil feeling from KV or Red Mill and would be glad to recommend them to anyone.

I have gotten over Red Mill burgers. I like the toppings, but the meat is merely ordinary and the special sauce is excessive.

Scooters isn't bad, but I don't think it has anything on Red Mill in the burger department.

I like the burgers at the various McMinnemin's pubs (I know I didn't spell that right), but it isn't as quick as a good burger place should be.

Surely someone must have a lead on good burger buns. I have been using bolo rolls, but agree with Mamaster's assessment that they are a bit too substantial.

Surely someone must have a lead on good burger buns.  I have been using bolo rolls, but agree with Mamaster's assessment that they are a bit too substantial.

Too big burger buns is a special rant of mine. I am embarrassed to say that I have been using toasted English muffins at home for my burgers, because they are just about the right size for me. :laugh:

Has anyone tried Salty's on Alki's burgers? I have a strong desire to go over there next week and try out one of their happy hour 3-6pm $5 cheeseburgers I read about (and hopefully get to sit out on the deck).

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd revise the original best burger thread and mention that I had a cheeseburger at the Wedgewood Ale House. It was a hand patted, juicy and flavorful burger with ample tomato, onion and lettuce with real cheddar cheese. Oh yeah, a damn fine burger for only $6.95 (or $6.99). I would prefer to have pickles on my burgers, but somehow I forgot about them until just now. The icing on the cake was the Rogue Red double dry-hopped on tap, absolutely marvelous.

Wedgewood Ale House & Cafe

(206) 527-2676

8515 35th Ave NE # A

Seattle, WA

Oh yeah, the fries were better than normal. They're the over-cooked, British variety: tan to dark brown, and if they sit too long, they're a little soggy. That doesn't sound too good (at least to me), but they were good enough that I ate every one of them.

Remembering those fries reminded me of Wednesday's Daily show. John Stewart said: "In Britain, or England for those of you with a stick up your ass, ..."

Ahhh, those crazy limies. Or is it limey's? Anyone know?

And, because I live in the South End (which some refer to simply as "Hell")

No, I wouldn't say that, I once spent a weekend in the suicide capital of Washington, Aberdeen, and I'd rather be in your neck of the woods than there. Luckily there was plenty, and I mean plenty, of booze at the reception and the ceremony was very short.

Kink...hahaha... I don't know how I missed that one until now. I'll have you know I lived/survived in the lovely city of Aberdeen for 5 years! including I graduated high school there! (and of course you all know Kurt Cobain was from Aberdeen, right??)

They actually had some really great places for burgers when I lived there. My favorite place was a hangout in Hoquiam with made to order grilled cheeseburgers at a mom & pop greasy spoon place (which is sadly no longer there).

On another note... Friday's Seattle Times had a scathing report on Primo's Burgers on 65th & Roosevelt by the new Kathryn Robinson. Instead of reviewing a place she doesn't like, I wish she would have reviewed a place she *DOES* like.

On another note... Friday's Seattle Times had a scathing report on Primo's Burgers on 65th & Roosevelt  by the new Kathryn Robinson.  Instead of reviewing a place she doesn't like, I wish she would have reviewed a place she *DOES* like.

Kathryn's always called 'em as she ate them - see her history in The Seattle Weekly - but I think the PI's new reviewer upped the ante for negative criticism in town. Me, I'd prefer to know what they like, why, and maybe, something interesting about the place, people, and food. A little education with my gluttony.

Kathryn's always called 'em as she ate them - see her history in The Seattle Weekly - but I think the PI's new reviewer upped the ante for negative criticism in town. Me, I'd prefer to know what they like, why, and maybe, something interesting about the place, people, and food. A little education with my gluttony.

I can appreciate a negative review from a restaurant reviewer as it makes a big impact and it's always good to know the places to avoid. But in this case (since I already have a mental list of places that I find the burgers less than stellar lately) I would have been more helped by a review of a place that she could recommend!

I'm going to the Redhook brewery in Woodinville for lunch today or tomorrow with some friends and am tempted to order their burger if there is one on the menu. All this talk of burgers has been making me hungry for one! Have any of you tried theirs who can give a report?

I've been there twice and the only food I've ordered was the grilled chicken burger. What can I say? It was cooked well, came with tomatos and lettuce with a pickle on the side and fries. It was a decent lunch, just boring. I don't know about their burgers. I've never really gone there for the food. :wacko:

• 2 years later...

I second Malarkey! I totally forgot about Daly's. I take my wife's car to Scott Sherman Automotive right next door, and always go to Daly's. I love the Daly Double with Bacon. They have the best burgers and the best fries (peel on).

I guess I didn't think of Daly's because I always associate their burgers with an automotive repair bill! ; )

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Use to be 2 Bells Tavern had one of the best burgers in town. A dive in the south end that wasn't bad at frying t burgers was Jerry's Tavern on Washington St. in Kent. Still there and I imagine it is still reeking of grease from the fried chicken.

dave

Use to be 2 Bells Tavern had one of the best burgers in town.  A dive in the south end that wasn't bad at frying t burgers was Jerry's Tavern on Washington St. in Kent.  Still there and I imagine it is still reeking of grease from the fried chicken.

dave

EEK! Jerry's Blinker Tavern serves food? That place is so smoky, I can't imagine it's a good atmo for eating anything. There is quite a fun cross-dressing-for-beer event they hold every February (blue collar dudes dressed as women, it's a pretty funny thing to see what men will do for free beer).

Have you eaten at Ghorm's Drive-In in Kent up on the hill? Serviceable burgers and hand-cut fries and pretty good shakes. Not the best, but they'll do. Mountain Burger on Meeker used to be good, but they've changed hands several times.

-- Frank Bruni

• 3 weeks later...

Love Dicks and Daly's too, but damnit, I was watching Sex in the City this morning, and it looked like Carrie and Berger were at Balthazar eating what looked like the perfect burger, thick, slightly rare, on good bread....GOD am I craving a good upper end burger.

Any Suggestions? Hell, I'm tempted by the Kobe beef one at Oceanaire, but $20 for a burger seems excessive to me....

(Edited for dum speling miztake :raz: )

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com