• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swedish "vanilla buns" - vaniljbullar

I fell utterly in love with the "vanilla buns" made in bakeries across Sweden, I recently returned from a trip where I visited Bastad, Kristianstad, and Stockholm, and I would love to learn how to make these Stateside.

They're a delicate sweet yeast bread baked in a muffinlike shape, with vanilla sugar on top, and vanilla custard piped into the bottom. Can anyone give me some pointers please?

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

My info is only from googling; hopefully someone with more hands on experience will add something.

My antennae go up when I hear things like "cream" or "custard-filled" so I wanted to investigate. (Thanks for bringing this up; I learned something new).

Perhaps what you had are "semlor" from Sweden.

If you google this you can find a bunch of recipes that are more or less the same.

semlor recipe

One difference from what you described are that these are filled with cream (whipped) --mixed with crumbs from the hollowed out bun and also some milk and either marizpan or ground almonds.

They are originally a pre-lenten treat--i.e for "Fat or Shrove Tuesday". As in many other countries, though, lots of these treats are now eaten at other times of the year.

A bunch of other European-Catholic countries have similar pre-lenten fried pastries made from a yeast dough and then filled with jam or cream. In Austria they are "krapfen" , in Germany, "fastnacht", in Poland, paczki. I think at some time this was to use up items that were proscribed during lent like yeast, milk, eggs, etc.

Anyway--these versions with the marzipan sound awfully good to me!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

My info is only from googling; hopefully someone with more hands on experience will add something.

My antennae go up when I hear things like "cream" or "custard-filled" so I wanted to investigate. (Thanks for bringing this up; I learned something new).

Perhaps what you had are "semlor" from Sweden.

If you google this you can find a bunch of recipes that are more or less the same.

semlor recipe

One difference from what you described are that these are filled with cream (whipped) --mixed with crumbs from the hollowed out bun and also some milk and either marizpan or ground almonds.

They are originally a pre-lenten treat--i.e for "Fat or Shrove Tuesday". As in many other countries, though, lots of these treats are now eaten at other times of the year.

A bunch of other European-Catholic countries have similar pre-lenten fried pastries made from a yeast dough and then filled with jam or cream. In Austria they are "krapfen" , in Germany, "fastnacht", in Poland, paczki. I think at some time this was to use up items that were proscribed during lent like yeast, milk, eggs, etc.

Anyway--these versions with the marzipan sound awfully good to me!

These are excellent too, but these are not the same ones. The cream filling is a custard, much like the vanilla sauce served with Scanian apple cake.

It's shaped like a brioche, but has the custard piped into the cake.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Here is the recipe in English for Vanilla buns: http://www.algonet.se/~gabor/kokbok/EnVanillaBuns.htm

and here it is in Swedish the name being vaniljbullar

http://www.algonet.se/~gabor/kokbok/SvBullar.htm

You can replace the 2 tsp of vanilla sugar with 1 tsp vanilla extract. Or make your own vanilla sugar. Get a vanilla bean, scrape it out (using the insides for another recipe), cut up the remain bean into 2 inch strips. Mix the strips with 1 cup of powdered sugar and let sit in an airtight container for at least 1 week before using. Will hold forever, and you can always add more sugar over time and fresh strips of bean shells.

Lycka till (Good luck)

Definately not a semla (good guess, though).

I think what you are describing is something I guess would be called "vaniljbullar" (simply "vanilla buns"). You basically make a batch of all-purpose sweet bun dough, let 'em rise, use your thumb to make a dent in the top and pipe in some vanilla cream. Brush the top with an egg and heavy cream mixture (maybe 50/50?) and bake. When they are done, brush with eggwhite and sprinkle on some of the Swedish "pearl sugar" or, in a pinch, maybe dust with powdered or dip in regular sugar.

I'm reluctant to do an entire translation of the recipe I found on the net until an adminstrator tells me that it's o.k. Without that, make a brioche dough (it's richer then the sweet bun dough used over here but I'd imagine would still be good) and add a solid pinch of cardamon. If I remember correctly, vanilla cream is simply a heavily thickened vanilla custard. You can buy decent mixes over here but it's only better made from scratch.

If you find a recipe for cinammon buns or such then I'd imagine that could also be used as the base dough. You could also try filling with 50/50 vanilla cream and applesauce or a nice jam, perhaps!

Good luck and I'm glad you enjoyed the bakeries over here!

I think what you are describing is something I guess would be called "vaniljbullar" (simply "vanilla buns"). You basically make a batch of all-purpose sweet bun dough, let 'em rise, use your thumb to make a dent in the top and pipe in some vanilla cream. Brush the top with an egg and heavy cream mixture (maybe 50/50?) and bake. When they are done, brush with eggwhite and sprinkle on some of the Swedish "pearl sugar" or, in a pinch, maybe dust with powdered or dip in regular sugar.

Yay! Bingo, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks very much!