• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Royal Icing: Tips & Techniques

Tepee

Here in PA there are several farmer's markets which have spice stands or stands which carry spices as part of their product line.  Most of them also sell meringue powder.  You might want to check the next time you're at one.

Also, if you have any of the following craft stores in your area -

AC Moore

Hobby Lobby

Joann Fabrics and Crafts

Michaels Arts and Crafts

or

a Wal-Mart with a fabric and craft or party section

there's always a Wilton aisle, where you can obtain their brand of meringue powder.

Theresa :biggrin:

Hello Theresa,

There is no AC Moore, no Hobby Lobby, no Michaels, no Wal-Marts, no Wilton aisles in Moab. No party stores. And no farmer's market after November 1st. The largest store is an Alco. This is a VERY small town without the tourists and tourists don't buy powdered meringue.

That's why I wanted to know particularly about using lemon juice...which I could guarantee...instead of cream of tartar...which I could not.

Thanks for trying. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Any advice about making? coloring? storing? using? subsequent packaging? The recipes all give some tidbits of information, but nothing takes the place of experience....

I work with royal icing often, so here are a few quick thoughts:

Color the icing a day before you need to use it, as the colors intensify overnight. This is especially important if you're going to make dark colors (like red).

Keep your bowl of icing covered with a damp towel, to prevent it from crusting on the side of the bowl.

I have an oscillating fan blow across my iced cookies to help them dry. In Florida, where the humidity is high, this is a necessity.

Once my cookies are dry, I package them in cellophane bags. If you have to package your lollipops and don't have bags, you can probably use plastic wrap or waxed paper.

I make my icing pretty stiff for writing - your best bet is to make a batch of icing and practice with it to get the feel for how stiff you want it to be. I make my icing by "eye". You can always add more 10X sugar or pasteurized egg white to change the consistency.

If you have any questions, you can PM me.

Mary

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

I work with royal ALL the time, and I agree with everything Mary from Beaches Pastry said.

(Hi Mary!)

And, I use fresh lemon juice as my acid. It definitely improves the taste, and my theory (and it is only a theory) is that the lemon juice helps royal dry faster, thereby

sometimes inhibiting dark colors from bleeding into lighter ones.

And, I'm PM-able, too! Good luck with the royal! Keep us posted with your results!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I work with royal ALL the time, and I agree with everything Mary from Beaches Pastry said.

(Hi Mary!)

And, I use fresh lemon juice as my acid.  It definitely improves the taste, and my theory (and it is only a theory) is that the lemon juice helps royal dry faster, thereby

And, I'm PM-able, too!  Good luck with the royal!  Keep us posted with your results!

I will make a test batch in a day or so and then post my great success (or screw-up :wacko: )

Thanks for the information about the lemon juice...I am opting for lemon juice.

Do you have any photos you could post of something with its Royal decor?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

(Hi Mary!)

And, I use fresh lemon juice as my acid.  It definitely improves the taste, and my theory (and it is only a theory) is that the lemon juice helps royal dry faster, thereby

And, I'm PM-able, too!  Good luck with the royal!  Keep us posted with your results!

I will make a test batch in a day or so and then post my great success (or screw-up :wacko: )

if you go to onetoughcookie's web site (linked in her sig line), you'll see her BEAUTIFUL cookies and other creations!

(Hi Mary!)

if you go to onetoughcookie's web site (linked in her sig line), you'll see her BEAUTIFUL cookies and other creations!

:wub::wub:

www.onetoughcookienyc.com