• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ballpark Eats

bloviatrix

I was at Yankee Stadium this evening and spotted several groups of Japanese visitors rooting for Hideki Matsui, which got me wondering -- what's typical ballpark food in Japan?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ramen. Hot Dogs. Fried Squid, Takoyaki (fried Octopus balls -- the Osaka stadium, home to the Kintetsu Buffaloes is in fact, "The Takoyaki Dome"), Yakisoba (pan fried noodle dish with meat and veggies). Also Edammame, various bento boxes, Yakitori (chicken parts on a stick), Yakiniku (grilled meat and veggies of various types on skewers) , Beer and Japanese Whiskey. Sake.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Which ballpark has the best food? And how does the food vary between sporting events/venues (would you snack differently at a sumo match)?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Which ballpark has the best food? And how does the food vary between sporting events/venues (would you snack differently at a sumo match)?

good question..

I have only been to Tokyo Dome for football games (American football NOT soccer) and the menu is exactly as Jason listed. I don't think I have ever been to any other sporting events in Japan..... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Which ballpark has the best food?

It's hard for me to answer that question.

According to the site below, pork cutlet sandwiches, Pizza Hut pizza, and Jojoen (restaurant name) grilled meat bento seem to be popular at the Tokyo Dome; at the Osaka Dome, which Jason mentioned, hot dogs called itemae dogs, curry (and rice?), and pop corn.

http://web.poporo.net/home/npb89/

(Japanese only)

At Kokugi-kan, where sumo tournaments are held, makunouchi bento seem to be still popular.

http://kawama.jp/General/Diary/040120093029/disp

(Japanese only)

The 4th photo shows a makunouchi bento. I think it's mediocre considering the price - 1,050 yen.

Just curious, how much are these foods sold for in Japanese sporting venues?  I'm wondering if it's the same rip-off prices that we get in the US!

I think so. At one ballpark, a can of 500-ml beer costs 600 yen, about twice higher than at regular liquor shops.

http://web.poporo.net/home/npb89/compare.html

(Japanes only)

The Takoyaki Dome?! Damn, how cool is that! :laugh: My conversation partners have promised to host a takoyaki party next time they are both in town, can't wait, I love them.

What about food served at プロレス (puroresu/pro-wrestling) or K-1 fighting arenas?

The stadium where the Seattle Mariners play does have a stand that serves sushi rolls, thanks to the influx of Japanese fans following Sasaki, Ichiro, et al. Vietnamese bahn mi sandwiches too. But otherwise, it's the same hot dogs, peanuts, beer, etc.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

you can probably find similar bentos somewhere else for close to half of that.....

Yeah, Kristin, but do they come in cool baseball bat shaped bento boxes? :wink:

Easily worth the extra money. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...