• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Naam?!

Myself and the husband were in Vancouver this long weekend and thanks to everybody on earth recommending the same, we ended up at The Naam for dinner yday (I'm a vegetarian, so the idea of going to a veggie restaurant was mighty appealing to me). We tried the fried tofu appetizer. I tried the El Topo Dragon bowl for my main course. I didnt dare try anything more after that. Why is this restaurant so widely acclaimed? Did I just end up making the absolute worst choices from the menu or do my tastebuds just happen to disagree with EVERYONE else who had something to tell me about the place (online and magazine reviews included). The teriyaki sauce accompanying the fried tofu tasted like water. My dragon bowl which was described as fiery in the menu was blander than the stuff my mom tried getting me to eat when I was a kid. Believe me, I love vegetables and a plate of nice raw shredded beet, sprouts and carrots delights me no end but that is *not* what I expected in a fiery dragon bowl! The whole dish had no salt, had huge chunks of blanched cauliflower and broccoli along with the aforementioned shredded salad veggies. The whole dish was mighty healthy but absolutely tasteless. As a vegetarian, I believe this is no way to attract more folks to our fold. Someone, please tell me, why this place is sooo raved about.

I kinda dig the waitresses with the hairy pits :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you on Naam. Outside of breakfast ... which for me is a coffee and a bowl of granola with yoghurt ... the food there never really did anything for me.

Too bad, cuz there are lots of other good veggie choices here. Ah well, next time.

DA

As for me and everyone I've talked to, we can't figure out why this place is still lined up and acclaimed. The food, service, cleanliness, all suspect. It's not even really that funky and fun. Is it the long history of the place that appeals? (When I first moved to Vancouver in 1979 the head office and birthplace of Greenpeace was right across the street. Anyone remember Rohan's?) There are lots of good veggie, mostly ethnic, choices out there for your next visit. Post here before you come back and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

Many many times I've posted far and wide on the net about that pit of mediocrity and sludge but will people listen?

The widespread acclaim of the Naam is similar to that of the 'Crapilano' Suspension Bridge-and is part of the sheeple phenomenon-which itself is not so phenomenal to those who study history.

Someone who critiqued this restaurant many years ago for the Georgia Straight told me that the kitchen was disgustingly dirty and I never went back.

I liked the Foundation on Main (and 14th, I think) and their food is excellent.

I'm not a fan of the Naam's food by any stretch of the imagination but if you check out the Vancouver Richmond Health Board website you'll find much worse kitchens in terms of hygiene, some in much more upscale looking spots.

That being said, I would never recommend the Naam to anyone. Bad food, bad wine, line ups - it just doesn't add up.

Cheers,

Anne

We are all in it together the Naam is not that great, but i do second maximillian on Foundation, great food and a good feeling about the place, also Public (on Main as well) is not bad for veggie food, it has a mix of both for the carnivores and veggies.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Outside of breakfast, I agree the Naam is the most overrated vegi restaurant on the planet, the service is brutle; is everyone on lithium?..., or like smoked four bowls of pot before work, hairy armpits and all,

slow, dirty, tasteless crap

All the things that make a good eatery.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good people watching though!

:raz::raz:

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Hah, I was thinking about making the exact same post but had not got around to it yet. I knew I should have piped up with a different restaurant the second it was mentioned. Now the rule of thumb is that if a restaurant has a big line up it must be good right? Well after looking through a laughable stereotypical veg menu menu I decided to order the pizza just cause it had cheese. I'll just say that if I was a full blooded Italian I'd feel obligated to burn that place to the ground.

also agree with all said about the naam went once and have never been back service was unbelievably bad( thought it was an act or something) had to get up grab coffee pot from waitress station and pour our own coffee and then when it came to paying the bill we basically had to all get up head to the door like we were gonna pull a dine-and-dash to get the bonehead waitress to give us the tally, worst service i've ever had and this was just after i'd got back from india, nepal and s.e asia!!

Phew, guess I'm far from being the only one who hated the place. Should've posted here for recommendations before I left but it was all rather sudden. Will definitely check out both Foundation and Public the next time around. I fell in love with the city instantly. Spent the whole day cycling and had a brilliant time overall. Will definitely be back soon.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

-worm@work

The Public is located on Main Street (near the corner of 17th and Main on the West side of the street). Price range is as small and approachable as the physical size of the space. Extremely moderate.

I walk up and down Main Street regularly as it is "The Strip" between my home and my studio, and have seen it grow over the last decade into a real treat for so many reasons. So much so I believe it needs a culinary map of the area with great places pointed out to anyone interested. There are some magical spots with what I would consider the best Pho in the city, great coffee houses, bagels, ethnic grocers and way better veggie alternatives than The Naam.

For years I thought NAAM was slang for BANAL.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."