• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old Ebbitt Grill

morela

i'll have to try old ebbitt's......

I have to say, this thread more than any other, makes me want to say, 'go to Old Ebbitt's happy hour'... It's so poorly represented (not even a word about it on their website), and if you like oysters, order the Wellfleets...

Yes, Ebbitt does as many covers as three Outback Steak Houses, but keep in mind (as far as I'm concerned) the people who work there are super nice (DAVID with the leopard hair at LALA Land in Rehoboth worked there some time ago) :smile: ...

email: info@ebbitt.com to find out when that happy hour is, though, my feeling is that it's less publicized for a reason (they prolly lose money on it).

Oh well, GO!, and let me know if it still holds (last time I did the happy hours was around Easter), :smile:

The happy hour at old ebbitts is an amazing deal....i think it runs 3-6 or 3-7 and might pick up again 10-close

EVERYTHING on their raw bar menu is half off. They have a 50 dollar sampler platter with all sorts of oysters/clams/shrimp etc that I would normally not splurge on, but you cant beat it for $25! Plus they make a mean martini!

Old Ebbitt's happy hour definitely picks up late nightt...i used to go after work quite a bit.they serve food until 1am...and while the rest of the menu is totally average; the raw bar is quality...and at half price, quite the bargain.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

I've been living in the city for 4 years now and I still haven't tried Johny's Half Shell. :blush: Maybe I should try it...or maybe not. I have to agree with PoorLawyers statement about the crab cakes at Old Ebbitts. They are excellent! Also, the crab artichoke dip is great to start with if you want a crab overdose.

3-6 PM, and after 11 Monday - Thursday, Old Ebbitt Grill has half-price raw bar specials. A Walrus Platter of $49.95 consisting of 12 oysters (customer's choice, 12 littleneck clams, 10 jumbo shrimp) is $25 (TWENTY FIVE) dollars. A dozen oysters, customer's choice is $10. There cannot be anything better than this in the city of Washington. Two-thousand covers per day, and the high-turnover implies fresh seafood and encourages big discounts. I love Old Ebbitt for happy-hour raw bar, there is nothing better.

Never let it be said I'm against corporate restaurants, because with this one we have shitloads of great raw oysters without worrying about what's good and what's bad.

Old Ebbitt is in the Clyde's chain of restuarants, they have a lot of employees, and they purchase a titanic amount of seafood, which makes a good formula for high-quality, cheap oysters (which take labor but no skilled technique). Is Old Ebbitt Grill the best place in the city for raw bar, especially when it's half-price at happy-hour? I've never seen anything better than this, and I have to recommend everyone here going to scarf with energy, fervor and zest.

Cheers,

Rocks.

A theory we came up with this evening about Wellfleet oysters: "the bigger, the blacker the blotch, the badder the bivalve." Is this true or not?

I must say it really does kick ass. I have heard that as well about well fleets. Love that salty crunch. Except offer me cocktail sauce and I'll stab you with my fork. :biggrin: Mignonettes or death!

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

A theory posited this evening about wellfleet oysters: "the bigger, the blacker the blotch, the badder the bivalve." Is this true or not? I don't know, but it's a legitimate hypothesis to be disproven by anyone who feels like chiming in, and we invite you to do so. Do we have any local rawbar freaks here? Your opinoins are needed. Let's rock, let's roll, let's analyze, let's discuss, let's talk about it.

Well, I'm more a raw bar freak in general, than a DC-area freak per se (tho I've been to raw bars at Johnny's, Oceanaire, and Black's), but generally I prefer my oysters small and briny. I'm definitely a Stellar Bay girl more so than a Wellfleet, Pemaquid, New Orleans, or Long Island chick, but then again, I've not met many oysters I didn't like. My most common beef with raw bar happy hours is the lack of choice--i.e. at Black's it's just locals that are on sale, so Old Ebbitt's larger selection sounds good. Best raw bar deal I've had is at Ocean Ave Seafood in Santa Monica--1/2 doz of your choice (and they have at least 6 kinds daily; mostly West Coast) plus a flight of 3 matched wines, for...wait for it...$7.95!! Rock on!!! Delicious, high quality, price probably doable thanks to popularity. I hope to check out Old Ebbitt before I leave DC (a challenge only because of the early ending time of the first happy hour each day), but am greatly looking forward to an upcoming trip to San Francisco for oysters at Swann, and new happy hour at Hog Island in the Ferry Terminal--$1/pop.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I hope to check out Old Ebbitt before I leave DC (a challenge only because of the early ending time of the first happy hour each day)...

Be a Rebel. Go to a 9 p.m. movie at the E Street Theater (Landmark) and pop by the bar shortly after 11...

:smile:

A good/bad correction: The half-price discount doesn't begin until 11 (in addition to 3 to 6), but no matter which walrus platter you order, it's always customer's choice.

A combination of Wellfleets and Kumamotos has always been a top pick for me. And the Glidden Point Flats when they happen to have them. I like to get a nice east/west coast balance. I've never seen a raw bar with more fresh selections. I have friends who visit from out of town who always take Friday off just so they can come in for the discount Thursday night.

Already have the next trip planned for the 22nd of July. And, I learned one of their tricks last time -- if you order an assortment of varieties and lose track of which is which, they're always arranged clockwise in alphabetical order, starting at the cocktail sauce.

I've been living in the city for 4 years now and I still haven't tried Johny's Half Shell. :blush: Maybe I should try it...or maybe not. I have to agree with PoorLawyers statement about the crab cakes at Old Ebbitts. They are excellent! Also, the crab artichoke dip is great to start with if you want a crab overdose.

I should try that crab dip. Is there such a thing as crab overdose? Maybe if they had crab soup on special and I got that and the dip and the crab cakes? I still think that doesn't sound too excessive.

I'm with you -- can't have too much crab :laugh: If you don't feel like visiting your favorite crab-purveying boite but need a fix, the crab and artichoke dip from Whole Paycheck is quite good. Make sure you heat it up before inhaling.

This has to be one of my favorite spots in DC - only for the happy hour though. The oysters are almost always good (prior to my birthday a month ago it would have been ALWAYS but that night there were four bad oysters in the dozen :wacko: - also my first experience with a bad oyster ....). But the happy hour prices are great, good bartenders ... Never knew it was part of Clydes until now.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

[ Best raw bar deal I've had is at Ocean Ave Seafood in Santa Monica--1/2 doz of your choice (and they have at least 6 kinds daily; mostly West Coast) plus a flight of 3 matched wines, for...wait for it...$7.95!! Rock on!!!

California Dreamin' Where the wine is priced right and the seafood rocks :biggrin:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

It's just Monday through Thursday.

And talk about good timing. I get a call from a friend last night, his parents are coming into town tonite, and want to take us out for half-price oysters!

Went yesterday with friends. Yes, the oysters, clams and shrimp on that walrus platter are quite good, very fresh, nice price. However, it was very hard to find a seat (arriving at 5:45 on a Wednesday during summer), and you need a seat because you need a place to sit your platter. The bartenders weren't attentive, and one was actually kinda rude. And there are no drink specials during happy hour. More importantly, the atmosphere is lousy--a total tourist trap, threadbare carpet, less than clean bathrooms, lines out the door, plenty of sunburned kids and parents in shorts.

BUT, if you can ignore all that and leave work early enough to find space at the bar, yes, it's the place for seafood happy hour in DC.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Do they offer the same specials at the back bar? I work a few doors away and we skip the front of the house for the back bar for our happy hours. Much saner. Great bartenders.

Is that what's called the "Corner Bar?" I don't think they do the oysters there. Not positive tho. The front bar goes around to a back area, but no additional room there yesterday.

-- William Grimes

Went yesterday with friends. Yes, the oysters, clams and shrimp on that walrus platter are quite good, very fresh, nice price. However, it was very hard to find a seat (arriving at 5:45 on a Wednesday during summer), and you need a seat because you need a place to sit your platter. The bartenders weren't attentive, and one was actually kinda rude. And there are no drink specials during happy hour.  More importantly, the atmosphere is lousy--a total tourist trap, threadbare carpet, less than clean bathrooms, lines out the door, plenty of sunburned kids and parents in shorts. 

BUT, if you can ignore all that and leave work early enough to find space at the bar, yes, it's the place for seafood happy hour in DC.

Yikes! :blink: Were the White House (and other) interns there in force too? Seems like peak tourist season would not be the best time to take advantage of this otherwise pretty darned good deal.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

We always refer to it as the back bar. It is not an extension of the front bar but in another room just behing the main dining room by where you go out to the atrium.

There are three bars in total at the place, and the special is good at all of them. There's the main bar, the 'corner bar,' which is in that room off the left side, and the back bar, which is in a room back and to the left of where you walk in.

Aside from a lengthy wait or two, I've always had pleasant experiences there. For my outing tonight, we used opentable.com and got a res. for 5:30.

There was bathroom trouble yesterday? The men's room has always been fancier than your standard restroom fare, but I can see how heavy traffic can dirty even the nicest outhouses.

And no, summer probably isn't the best time for this special, because it's not really peak oyster season, either.

But I love 'em! I can't get enough!!!

The big question is: Would Old Ebbitt Grill be the place in the area for Your First Raw Oyster? Oysters, as I mentioned in the current "Acquired Tastes" thread seem to me to be one of those thing syou have to have properly the first time, or it's over and...I've never had raw oysters! Being thus Bivalve-curious, would this be the place to go? Subquestion: What to have?

Sara: Be sure to write about your trip to Swan. Saw it on A Cook's Tour and it looks pretty cool. Hopefully by then I'll know more about the shellfish!

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

The big question is: Would Old Ebbitt Grill be the place in the area for Your First Raw Oyster? Oysters, as I mentioned in the current "Acquired Tastes" thread seem to me to be one of those thing syou have to have properly the first time, or it's over and...I've never had raw oysters! Being thus Bivalve-curious, would this be the place to go? Subquestion: What to have?

Sara: Be sure to write about your trip to Swan. Saw it on A Cook's Tour and it looks pretty cool. Hopefully by then I'll know more about the shellfish!

-- C.S.

If it is your first time eating oysters, the place to go is Acme in New Orleans. I went there for the first time a couple months ago and was blown away about how much better they are there than anywhere else I've had em. Barring that, I can't think of any place better to try them out. There are other places that are probably as good, but Old Ebbitt has a large selection and as was stated earlier, the volume they go through always makes me feel better that they aren't laying around all day getting warm

If it is your first time eating oysters, the place to go is Acme in New Orleans. I went there for the first time a couple months ago and was blown away about how much better they are there than anywhere else I've had em. Barring that, I can't think of any place better to try them out. There are other places that are probably as good, but Old Ebbitt has a large selection and as was stated earlier, the volume they go through always makes me feel better that they aren't laying around all day getting warm

Duely noted, and thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'm going to be down there in, well...the foreesable future. Unfortunately, if it's not a Zipcar, or better, Metro ride away, it might be a while...

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog