• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Airports: Which Hub Do You Prefer?

Love Midway! (Don't tell anyone else about Midway, Anna. I'm, er midway between airports but I try to fly from Midway anytime I can.) Yes, the SuperDawg! And the Greek place -- Pegasus? And there's an Italian joint that does paninis. And I can walk from the entrance to the gate in three inch heels.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I think my most impressive airport experience was at Copenhagen. I exited customs while waiting for my Dublin-bound flight and ordered some fresh juice and a pastry. The pastry was forgettable anywhere else but an airport, but it made me think that even airports can serve something besides stale freezer-burned crap.

The line back in through customs was non-existent, so it was a nice and pleasant distraction.

Narita has a bunch of adequate stuff on the 4th and 5th floors of whichever terminal that United usually departs from. I'm less excited about eating once I'm past the passport control and all that, but it's still not as bad as the average US airport, and the convenience stores and omiyage shops inside the departure terminal are a far sight above the average "news and snacks" shop inside a US airport.

SeaTac has been getting better, at least if you haven't crossed the security gates, as they've made an effort to bring in local businesses in the last two years or so. Kathy Casey has some project that serves better-than-average-coffee-shop fare; Diva Espresso serves their cafe medici, a mocha with an orange peel; Alki bakery has some sort of presence. None of those are places I'd go out of my way for in the city, but they're a welcome relief from the standardized fare inside.

I can't remember actually eating there, but Denver seemed to have some reasonably interesting stuff too.

Not so fond of O'Hare, from a food or logistics perspective. Also not so fond of Minneapolis, though I haven't passed through there in about 10 years.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Not so fond of O'Hare, from a food or logistics perspective. Also not so fond of Minneapolis, though I haven't passed through there in about 10 years.

MSP has changed quite a bit in the last decade (as has Midway - that place used to be a dump!). In particular there is a "north woods"-themed restaraunt that has wonderful Bloody Marys. I'm sure I ate something as well, but after a few drinks I didn't much care what it was :smile: .

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Munich has some nice options including a Dallmayr outpost for gift shopping.

Back home, I'm a fan of Vino Volo and enjoy the civilized opportunity to sit down and sample a flight of wines in the midst of the security screening/ID scrutiny/liquid segregation/shoe removal carnival that our airports are today. I've only tried the food a few times. The cheese plate at the IAD location has been lovely on all 4 times I've ordered it. The same menu choice ordered at SEA was lame. Wines were enjoyable at both locations. I'm hoping to see them expand.

SeaTac has been getting better, at least if you haven't crossed the security gates, as they've made an effort to bring in local businesses in the last two years or so. Kathy Casey has some project that serves better-than-average-coffee-shop fare; Diva Espresso serves their cafe medici, a mocha with an orange peel; Alki bakery has some sort of presence. None of those are places I'd go out of my way for in the city, but they're a welcome relief from the standardized fare inside...

I agree that SEA has come a long way and I especially appreciate the fact that prices are held to non-airport norms so I don't feel gouged. Jason mentioned options outside of security. Airside, in the Central Marketplace, there's a sit-down Anthony's with a bar, Vino Volo, Kathy Casey's Dish D'Lish (sandwiches are pre-made and look rather unpleasant in the deli case but on 5 of my 6 tries they toasted up quite nicely in what ever sort of convection contraption they use) and take out options from Anthony's, Ivar's Seafood Bar, Pallino, Dilettante Chocolates Café and others that can be consumed in the "food-court" area with vast windows overlooking the runways or carried on board. Airport gift shops Discover Puget Sound, Made in Washington as well as Vino Volo sell local wines that can be carried on board for those last minute gifts. Last week I picked up a bottle of 2005 Murray Cuvee from Hightower Cellars, named after their winery dog. Who could resist a wine with such a friendly face!

I like Singapore, but of all the airports I've been through recently, KIX (Kansai International) is probably the best. I think it surpasses Narita, at least before going through security (once you pass security, however, I don't know that there's much difference).

I don't care for YVR much, although they do have an A&W in the international departures area, which means I can get one last order of onion rings and root beer before I depart. That's important.

I hate ORD in every way, but I think MSP is OK. I had a nice breakfast at place that looked like it was marketing to the "organic" crowd. Haven't eaten much else there, though.

Denver (the B terminal, where anyone who flies United with any regularity must become especially familiar with) has a Wolfgang Pucks up on the 2nd floor, which anywhere else would be ho-hum, but, other than an outstandingly bad layout, serves pretty decent pizzas when you're stuck in the airport. There's also a Ben & Jerry's up there to satisfy your sweet tooth. Also, in the main terminal, Por La France (or whatever it's called) is unremarkable in food, but a fairly nice place to sit, with its view of the fountain and people looking for security (okay, hard to describe, but actually relatively scenic in its own way).

Strangely enough, since United is a Starbucks customer, it's virtually impossible to find a Starbucks in the B concourse, but saavy fliers know that there is one hidden away at the far end of the terminal where the regional flights take off. If you're addicted and can't stand airport coffee, it's worth seeking out.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be quick to echo the historical complaints about BWI, but would like to add that renovations a couple years back made it notably more palatable. Still lots of TGI-McChiliBees-type chain dreck, but with a couple more local options (Phillips, Obrycki's, Fells Point Brew Pub, Bill Bateman's Bistro, etc.). Last time I was there, we hit the Silver Diner - nice since their Towson branch closed some years back.

As I said, it's not fine dining, but it's a huge jump from before. More about food options for terminals A/B and terminals C/D/E/Main.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Narita International Airport in Japan. I've been through there a few times on my way to China, and there are a lot of great choices.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I don't care for YVR much, although they do have an A&W in the international departures area, which means I can get one last order of onion rings and root beer before I depart.  That's important.

Oh gosh! I thought I was the only one trying to stock up before departing.. :smile: .. the rule for us is that my husband goes to the Milestones for one last Caesar and I go for the onion rings and rootbeer....

I will also admit (gulp!) to being a patron of Heathrow's T3 Chez Gerard for that bit of very rare onglet before leaving for Asia.

Beijing airport is TERRIBLE (and overpriced for everything) but I am holding up high hopes for the new Terminal 3!

I vote Narita or Changyi for best eating pre-flight!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Hmmmm......Wattay in Vientiane always had very nice beignet and espresso. There are some good noodle spots in Souvarnabhoumi in Bangkok (although pricey).

And, of course, I still think that the bar in Bahrain up on the 2nd floor serves a very good bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich.