• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need gift certificate recs

I need a "night out" gift certificate combo for a holiday gift that cannot exceed โ.

Dilemma: strict family rules on pricing and venues. I need to give gift certificates that are dinner and activity centered -- such as a restaurant-movie combo. The rules: the restaurant and activity must be in close proximity to one another (like the same city) and the pair cannot cost more than โ total (yikes!).

Help! The last two years -- out of desperation -- I've done Red Robin--movie theater combos (ำ and ฟ respectively). This year, I'd like to support our locally owned businesses and introduce my otherwise conservative family members to new places to eat/play.

Anyone have thoughts? Cool, cheap restaurants near cool, cheap movie houses/gaming places/comedy clubs/pool places? As for locale, Seattle is just fine, but I'm open to Renton/Eastside suggestions because that's where most of my family lives.

Any thoughts my fellow (three) posters?

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Would it have to be dinner, or could it be a lunch/activity combo?  First thing that came to mind was a cerfiticate at our famous local Papa Chef's Blue Onion Bistro combined with maybe a nearby movie house (seven gables, varsity or other nearby movie place).  Or maybe lunch combined w/tickets to the Woodland Park Zoo to see the baby elephant?  If Giggles is still open, that would also be in that neighborhood.  I'll think somemore about other ideas, too.  How fun...I sure wish someone was getting me a gift certificate for lunch or dinner/activity combo.

Wow.... so many great suggestions!! I knew I came to the right place.

I think I'll go with the Zoo-lunch for the family with all the kids (great idea!). I think maybe Red Mill Burgers near the zoo would be a good place to feed a gaggle on a budget.

As for the others, I'm thinking BOB-Giggles is the winner, although I know they all love Thai and sending my conservative family members to Capitol Hill is a delicious thought .... DECISIONS!!

Feel free to post other suggestions. I need a list for next year too :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni