• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northwest Vegetable Gardening

Ok I know Ed Hume says only buy certified seed potatoes because of all the bad shit that can come along from just planting regular potatoes from the grocer

well I am willing to risk it due to the cost!!!

I wanted to plant some blue potatoes and they are upwards of $10 fone tiny bag!!!! barely weighed a few oz

so I went and bought some organic blue potatoes that have sprouts around the eyes for $1.49/lb!!!

I am growing them in a bed made for them in straw so if there is disease it will remain in a contained area ...but these are perfect potatoes so I am thinking things will be fine

hope it works out fine these are fantastic little potatoes!!!

if not I will let you know ..but the cost of the seed potatoes just because I wanted blue ones was more than over inflated there was a single potato in the package cut into quarters and sprouted...I am doing that now on the dining room table myself

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Tssquare (anyone?) can you tell me do I have wait until they sprout to put them in the ground or can I just chuck them in now with the little eye sprouts facing up?

Piglet 

FYI my mache (corn salad) is already popping up & thinking about needing to be thinned out.

Oh lucky you! I guess that means it does better than the purslane in cooler weather. Unfortunately, I am in a seasonal p-patch and the season doesn't begin until mid-April, so I have to wait.

Hummingbirdkiss, good luck with the potatoes. I only plant a few potato plants each year and so typically buy them in bulk at Molbaks, since you can buy just one of each variety if thats what you want to do. But last year I couldn't get one of the varieties I wanted and a woman at a nursery said to buy organic potatoes from the grocery store--I did and it (mind you I bought just one and it wasn't presprouted) was the weirdest growing potato I had. It took forever to get started and then put up just one main stalk. It had few potatoes, however the few it had were massive.

I don't know if although organic, they can still put some growth-inhibiting spray or something on them to delay sprouting?

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." -- Hippocrates

thanks so much for that I think I should not have cut these up ...they are all shriveled up on the table looking sad ..should have left them whole I think

I Have another potato question then I am going to try to plant this week rain or not ...

I have a frame my husband put together and am going to put some dirt on the bottom then use straw to mound them...the frame is 4ft by 4ft...can I plant four kinds of potatoes in there one in each corner? or should I just put one type in there and call it good?

thanks for the help on this ...I understand we can pretty much plant potatoes all year here?

Piglet 

thanks so much for that I think I should not have cut these up ...they are all shriveled up on the table looking sad ..should have left them whole I think

I Have another potato question then I am going to try to plant this week rain or not ...

I have a frame my husband put together and am going to put some dirt on the bottom then use straw to mound them...the frame is 4ft by 4ft...can I plant four kinds of potatoes in there one in each corner? or should I just put one type in there and call it good?

thanks for the help on this ...I understand we can pretty much plant potatoes all year here?

Piglet 

Piglet 

I never cut up potatoes before planting - way too risky for rot. Potatoes - chuck 'em in at St Patty's day (or a bit later.) Sometimes they went in months later.

I p-patched year round for a dozen years or so - with 200 sf ft (400 a few years) and a taste for variety, my planting schemes tended to be on the crowded side and somewhat experimental. 4' x 4' - 4 potato plants - easily! I always figured something wouldn't germinate and so I overplanted - never seemed to be as bad as expected. Can you imagine 35 tomato and tomatillo plants thriving in 50 sf ft? And started on the kitchen counter. And planted when they were barely 3 inches tall?

I never counted on 100% but the average success in any year was very good.

Thanks Tsquare I am going to put the potatoes in today ..no matter how the weather turns out ..I am going to put three kinds in the bed and see what happens ...

my peas are popping up ..the rhubarb has small leaves on it and is going to take up a huge part of the yard in many places this year that is for sure!!! but it is so pretty and tastes so good..who cares... I can not wait to see if the new raised beds have any sprouts today ...the snow may have caused a little delay in that ...

all my bulbs are up now they look so pretty ...a few of the sedums are blooming as well ...

my goal is to have a perpetual flower and vegetable garden ..very possible here ....

Piglet 

Happy April 1 gardeners of the PNW!!!

Potatoes are in ..but this weather???? I am hoping it is going to be a long sunny summer as a result of this..something good must come of all this craziness?

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

I went away for two weeks (missed the snow) and just got back to a garden riotously in bloom & desperately in need of weeding....

one of the two arugulas is exploding as are the mache :biggrin:

there are little tips of lettuce & what I think is carrot poking up

there are 3 fava plants looking extremely hearty, and sweet peas out the wazoo

all the raspberries are leafing happily (one of them is trying to escape it's bed...)

ditto the thornless blackberry & the black currant

the strawberries are flowering

the blueberries have leaf buds

the onilns/chives we scattered amng the roses are poking up

the pear & cherry trees are both covered in blooms on every branch/graft

and there are little baby fig buds on the fig tree!

This summer is going to be fabulous!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Last season's argula is flowering like crazy. I guess I better pull it out and get this year's seeds in the ground. Slow start this year. Did put in tomatoes and onions, along with a new spearmint (in a pot in the ground) so I can make my own mojitos.

Make sure you pick the green flowerheads (before they start blooming) and eat them, they are delicious. I boil water and throw them in (shock boil). When they are tender - it won't take long - drain and serve with lemon and olive oil, and salt if you like. Crushed garlic is another option.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

during that nice break in the weather

I weeded...weeded and weeded ..now looking at it I can not see what I did!!!

my peas are up about three inches ..so I put up the trellis ..I made a bed for the tomatoes and moved the location so maybe this year I will do better than I have been

Peppers: I have wasted so much effort on them in the past..unless someone can advise me on a type that grows here and does well I am going to bag them entirely and wait for the ones from Easter WA to come to the farmers market..

have you guys had success with peppers?

..I have just tried so many and failed so often it just does not seem worth it anymore

took a chance and planted my sunflowers

everything is sprouting or blooming now

the purple carrots are going to need some thinning this week YAY!!!

can the thinnings be replanted in other places? I do this with other things but do not know about carrots?

escarole is in need of thinning this week as well

I have onion sprouts

not sure about the potatoes no sprouts yet

my fig only has one bud and since I pruned it last fall ...it worries me that it will not produce ...but last year it did not bud out until May

so maybe things will be fine

quince, Asian pear, plums and cherries all blooming

my current has bushed way out ..the leaves smell so good on these things!

Persimon looks sad but I am hoping it survived ..it had a rough start so I moved it last fall and crossed my fingers ..it just looks so sad

rhubarb is a week from being large enough to pull some stalks!

hope we get some more good weather this week on my days off! : no one appreciates a wonderful sunny day like we do here in the PNW I think!!! :wub:

Happy gardening!

Piglet 

no no you wrote that all wrong it should be

:wub:SNOW!!!!! :wub:

OK maybe it's not good for the garden but it's very good for one's inner 5 year old, and a great excuse for hot cocoa with "a little something" in it :biggrin:

Oh quick request, if anyone notices any Isis Candy tomato plants please give a shout out. They're an heirloom variety I picked up last year at the Fred Marche of all places. They're particularly sweet & flavorful and more importantly they did extremely well in my yard, and we all know that a tomoto that grows well in Seattle is something to be treasured and replanted year after year!

So far I haven't seen them anywhere, but it's early days yet...

no no you wrote that all wrong it should be

:wub:SNOW!!!!! :wub:

OK maybe it's not good for the garden but it's very good for one's inner 5 year old, and a great excuse for hot cocoa with "a little something" in it  :biggrin:

Oh quick request, if anyone notices any Isis Candy tomato plants please give a shout out.  They're an heirloom variety I picked up last year at the Fred Marche of all places.  They're particularly sweet & flavorful and more importantly they did extremely well in my yard, and we all know that a tomoto that grows well in Seattle is something to be treasured and replanted year after year!

So far I haven't seen them anywhere, but it's early days yet...

I ended up with a spiked coffee as well and flopped all day it was kind of nice

I visit a couple of local thrift stores that carry plants and look at my score!!! ..all this for under $25!!! Just look at the trillium!!!!

also sedums, lilly of the valley, peonies, hosta and a current ...I will look for those tomatoes ..you are right if you find a good producer stick with it!!! I bet in May they show up ....

what other tomatoes have you had success with? I am kind of tired of Early girl it is the only one I have done well with here that and various cherry tomatoes ..but I have a nice bed ready to go in the sunniest area of the yard... ...with a few blue potatoes in it ..the tomatoes can share with potatoes cant they? same family I think?

gallery_51681_4569_160724.jpg

gallery_51681_4569_18665.jpg

Piglet 

There are thrift stores that sell plants???? Where?

We also grew Sungold & New Girl tomatos last year. They did pretty well (how can you not love tomatos fresh from your garden?) but were not WOW like the Isis Candy.

edited for clarity

Edited by Eden (log)

There are thrift stores that sell plants????  Where?

We also grew Sungold & New Girl tomatos last year.  They did pretty well  (how can you not love tomatos fresh from your garden?) but were not WOW like the Isis Candy.

edited for clarity

they are on the military bases in WA

and usually even if you dont have an ID card you can shop at them you just need to get a day pass at the gate

it is hit and miss but this time of year all the things people want to devide are in there and they are so cheap it is crazy!

I have found tons of plants at yard sales as well ..and really nice pots!

Piglet 

my trilliums are the single best score ever they are my favorite flower

I am going to try to catch the seeds and grow more ...it will reside under the hazelnut seems perfect for it

Piglet 

I have 4 tiny little asparagus spears poking up today. I hope the dog doesn't take a nap on them.

congratulations!!!!

can you put a tomato cage around them to protect them?

Piglet 

If this weather does not get better soon I am going to need medication :sad:

I mean how much snuggling in with enhanced coffee can a person do????

I wonder if the bees will be able to do their work in all of this mess?

Piglet 

Hello. We have about 4 acres of level, flat pasture in Issaquah. The soil here is good, but we have not used it for gardening (except a tiny plot). The last few years we've had cows eating the grass, prior to that horses, so I believe the soil is well-fertilized. One acre is fenced off (cows have no access to it) and I've pondered turning that acre into a large garden. If that works, I'll likely work more of the land in coming years. A couple weeks ago I moved two honeybee boxes onto the field also, and they've been doing ok but not flying much due to the cold weather. I have a Kubota L-series diesel tractor, a real workhorse, and I can borrow a neighbor's tiller attachment. The problem is I have very little experience gardening, but I can wing it. I'd like to get this underway soon, I am sure it's not too late. We planted carrots, corn, onions, squash and a few other things two years ago in a small garden area. We had the best luck with carrots. A friend told me that money can be made with organic lettuce, selling to local stores, but I am not sure what it takes to be called "organic" then sell to stores. Not many farmers left these days and I would like to start up some kind of enterprise. Two able-bodied kids (10 and 11). All suggestions are highly appreciated.