• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Sandwiches

Hi,

Not sure if anything like this has been done on here before, couldn't find anything by searching.

Thought it would be good to share rec's for good sandwich shops in London, (and beyond)

I don't mean the ham and eggs at Pret (although it is good) I am talking about small independent places that would be easy to miss.

I'll start the ball rolling:

Pavarottis - Next to the Royal Exchange in the City - Does a great Chicken Escalope bap (The granary bap being better than the ciabatta) £3.90 get extra Tobasco!

Kossoff - Near Peticoat Lane on Middlesex Street on the edge of the city - (ironically near the Gherkin) - Does a great salt beef roll with pickles. But only when they carve direct from the large piece of beef, less good when reheated. £2.75

Lets improve lunch quality!

Very intrested in recs near Mayfair as I am moving there for work soon.

Edited by jimbob (log)

I agree - the time is definitely right for more sandwich recs.

A few weeks ago I had a roast sandwich at Fuzzy Ducks just off Fleet Street - I think it was on Whitefriars Street but can't be sure and Google is strangely silent. I liked it, particularly the fact it was freshly cut, hot and made a real change at lunchtime. I think that Fuzzy Ducks might be something of a City institution - I remember reading something about it in the FT magazine.

Again, not really a traditional sandwich, but I occasionally go to Reuben's on Baker Street for a salt beef on rye sandwich. Reuben's has the edge on the Selfridge's salt beef bar (it has slightly juicier beef, I think), but both are good. (Caveat: I'm a deli ignoramus of the "I don't know much about salt beef, but I know what I like" school... :smile: )

Sandwich?! i have come to bury the pret sandwich!!

degustibus is who i praise!!!

best sandwiches are degustibus

eat them and weep:)

www.degustibus.co.uk

St. Pauls

53/55 Carter Lane

London EC4V 5AE

Tel: 020-7236 0056

Fax: 020-7236 0057

Marylebone

53 Blandford Street

London W1H 3AF

Tel/Fax: 020-7486 6608

Borough Market

4 Southwark Street

London SE1 1TQ

Tel: 020-7407 3625

Fax : 020-7407 3632

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

well I only been to the Carter Lane branch

but they pretty much got everything you could imagine!

For £2.95 you get to choose a nice thick chunk of freshly baked house bread out of a selection of about 15, the rosemary foccacia or the garlic and herb ciabatta is good, then choose a condiment from a selection of again 15 salsa, pickle, chutney, mustard,etc and then a muliltude of fillings from chorizo, turkey, ham, mexican tuna, cumberland sausage, spinach, rocket, salad, etc.

Freshly baked, healthy, organic (i think) and delicious.

I recommend cumberland sausage, rocket, mango mustard on toasted rosemary foccicia :wub:

The Honey mustard ham ciabatta nice thick chunks of ham smothered in wholegrain mustard and honey!

The Beef steak sandwich looks gorgeous too but yet to try that.

The piri piri and honey mustard chicken are good too but i find the meat too salty.

They also do soup, pasta, salads and pizza breads :laugh:

Degustibus kicks the carp :wink: out of every other sandwich shop in London.

Another place i have to praise is Beigel Bake in Brick Lane open 24 Hrs 365 days.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese beigel for £1.00?? and salt beef begiel with half a cow and a half a bottle of mustard in for i think £2.50 :wacko:

go to Villandry. they have a 'choose your own' section where you pick your desired bread + fillings. I got a proper York ham + cheddar sandwich with onion marmalade on delicious crumbly wholemeal bread which was so big I had half of it for lunch the following day. they also have pre-made sandwiches in little cellophany bags; I bought a tuna nicoise one for my lunch, didn't get round to it, was at the theatre in the evening by which time it had been maturing in my handbag all day and the dressing had all soaked into the bun... yowza. My friends were fighting me for bites of it. I would also like to give a special mention to their Mexican wedding cookies.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I love deGustibus too (the toasted grilled veg & cheese sandwich), but wouldn't you say that they are a much different beast than your traditional British sandwich? When I lived in London in the last century, I used to adore the Chicken Tikka & Mango Chutney sandwich at deSwarte Cafe on Bedford Street, just up from The Strand. Mmmm. Cuppa tea and a sandwich are the perfect respite. (I think I smoked then too!) When in London in February of this year, I was so disappointed to see it removed from the menu. No more of that scary, hot pink chicken tikka in the deli case :sad:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Yep Degustibus is a very different sandwich compared to your run of the mill UK sarnies, thank God!!

I think they would be French inspired like PAUL in Covent Garden.

There's a thought I wonder if Degustibus has any plans to go franchise?

i definitely buy a share of that :biggrin:

For me I always work on a simple price/quality x quantity ratio :raz:

(anyone with more then GCSE maths may correct my hypothesis :wink:)

The sandwiches in Degustibus are slightly more expensive then Pret

but they are bigger sandwiches, taste twice as nice and you can pick and choose what you want.

Also this kind of food proves that healthy can be tasty,

although not cheap :hmmm: get what you pay for right?

sigh!!!

"show me the money!!"

Yep Degustibus is a very different sandwich compared to your run of the mill UK sarnies, thank God!!

I wouldn't say, "thank God"... having grown up in California where sandwiches can't be called such unless they are stuffed so full that you can't get your mouth around them and you're full after four bites having paid $10 for the bloody thing, I love the imaginative combinations found in a nice, thin British sarnie. And the fact that you have better butter, cheese and many other fresh ingredients, well, that elevates it again. And yet again because you can get a decent cup of tea to go with!

kit

Weebl

:wink:

guess you never had an anemic UK office canteen sandwich and cup of tea.

here comes that price/quality ratio thing again  :laugh:

Ah, yes, I've had the bad ones as well, the worst offense, in my book, being soggy bread! But freshly made with great ingredients, I'm with you in that I'm happy to pay more! :smile:

kit

Weebl

This very well may fly in the face of every good intention behind this post, but this is my two pence about sandwiches shops, for what its worth;

* On a whole, I find many of these highly praised hole-in-the-wall places to be vastly over-rated. This is quite frankly because; a.) I hate baps, b.) I hate sliced plastic-sawdust bread, and c.) the heaps of mayo used to bind sandwich fillings together make my skin crawl and my stomach tighten. I also find a lot of these places dirty, run-down and stinking of cigarettes and the ever present stench of sandwich fillings bound up with mayo and liberal lashings of gelatinous marg-butter.

Right. I think most people would be inclined to agree with me here. Now for the bit you'll hate me for...

* One of my favourite places from which to buy my lunch is Eat. This is why I like Eat; a.) In general, I would rather have noodles, interesting salads, great soups, sushi and wraps filled with crayfish than sandwiches, b.) when I want a sandwich I like them on different types of bread, farm-house style, foccacia, etc., c.) they have really nice desserts - summer pudding, and big American style cookies, d.) I like their lattes, e.) they are easily accessed from my place of work and Degustibus isn't (neither is Villandry - you lucky people who work in Marylebone...).

* I also like the Japanese Canteen - who do nice sobas, bentos and sushi

* I have also heard good things about Apostrophe, a place called Tiffin - in the City (that does Indian lunches to take away), and an Italian place that also does take away near Ludgate Circus. Do not shun the chain entirely...lunch geography in London has been greatly improved by the appearance of such places...in my humble opinion at least.

* And before you think I'm a complete no-hoper-chain-embracer; When I have the time I do often stroll down to Neal Street and have the people at the Deli Counter of Carluccio's restaurant make up a box of their mouth-watering delights, which not so long ago included stuffed squid along with a broad bean salad. Knocks the socks off a sarnie, if you ask me.

* One of my favourite places from which to buy my lunch is Eat. This is why I like Eat; a.) In general, I would rather have noodles, interesting salads, great soups, sushi and wraps filled with crayfish than sandwiches

I totally sympathise. I posted the original thread for just the same reason: most of the independent sandwich shops I tried out were serving the same horrid mayonnaisey gloop on Wonder bread.

And you're right - EAT soups totally rock.

(What I don't understand is why EAT soups are so good but Pret soups are so bad (ug - their goulash, in particular, tasted of school lunches); I find Pret very good otherwise.)

I agree Eat are really good, soups especially, but there are hidden gems amongst the small independent shops, and I have found that the great ones look exactly the same as the bad ones you describe so well Hallie. I guess I am trying to get everyone to share their good finds, we all know about Eat etc...

Well if we're talking lunch and chains how about Benugo - which is sort of a chain. I find it's 'special' sandwiches over-fancy - too many flavours in competition.

However they will make up a good simple sandwich to order, their salads are good (mango dressing is excellent) and puds etc are also excellent - I'm a sucker for Natas (those portugese custard tarts). There's one in Clerkenwell and one on Great Portland Street - I'm sure I've seen others

I have also heard good things about Apostrophe

They have just opened a branch on Farringdon St. just off Ludgate Circus (haven't tried it yet as I usually make ny own sandwiches).

(What I don't understand is why EAT soups are so good but Pret soups are so bad (ug - their goulash, in particular, tasted of school lunches); I find Pret very good otherwise.)

You're right -- the Pret goulash is horrible. Also, the tomato soup isn't tomatoey enough and the tuscan bean stew too salty. However, the new pea and mint is excellent, the chicken and sweet potato pretty good and the late-lamented tahi chicken was great.

Mmmm... soup.

Eat soups are amazing. I live off of them in the winter. My favourite is their chili con carne - they give you tortilla chips to sprinkle over the top and a dollop of sour cream. I don't know what they put in there but the black beans and pieces of beef are incredible. Their Tuscan bean is also wonderful.

I used to be a huge fan of Soup Works. There used to be one on Monmouth Street - now gone, and what a loss it is. Their soups were on a par with Eat's soups. The Soup Opera has never been able to cut it in my book. Like Pret, I find that they seem not to be able to get the balance of flavour or consistency right.

On another note, I noticed the other day that Pret seems to have changed its packaging and portion sizes. I became really bored with their salads last year - they were so miserly. Now they come in huge round containers. Obviously, enough people like me were turned off by it.

Their coffee however, remains faithfully horrific.

Hallie Posted on Jul 6 2004, 04:35 AM

a place called Tiffin - in the City (that does Indian lunches to take away), and an Italian place that also does take away near Ludgate Circus.

The Indian place is TiffinBites and it is quite horrible don't go unless you want to spend £7 on 2Tbsp of rice, 2Tbsp of overcooked veg and 4 piece of chicken in a non flavoured bright red gravy. Also the onion bhaji was the most disgusting trumeric stained dry flour grease sponge that i have ever had to spit out. :angry: As you gather i feel quite strongly that Tiffin Bites is an insult to Indian cuisine!!! But the containers are quite cute.

The Italian place on the other hand Fresh Italy is worth a visit. The food is just pasta and sauce but its good pasta and sauce and the risottos are well flavoured.

But the menu is short just penne pasta in a choice of 10 sauces and three risottos

they do some soups and salads that i haven't tried.

They nice but think you be bored of them after the fifth visit.

http://www.fresh-italy.com/

Concerning EAT yeah i think they pretty good for a chain, the pot pies are reasonable tasty although i do think they are a tad over priced.

Just had a very tasty lunch from a selection of salads at Flaneur on Farringsdon Road. £5 get you a good-sized portion of high quality ingredients - buffalo mozzarela, ripe tomatoes, mmm...

Nearby there is also Comptoir Gascon for those moments when only a foie gras sandwich will do.

Janice

Long ago, when I first came to London, clients had private dining rooms with name's like the "Directors' Mess" or the "Chairman's Table". Working lunches featured silver service, staff dressed to the nines, white wine, claret and port (at least) and, often, very good food. If the captains of industry weren't eating all that well in local restaurants, they certainly were in their private dining rooms.

Those days are mostly gone. Now, the term is "sandwich lunch". Sandwiches, a couple of "wraps", a fruit basket and some Kit-Kat bars. Soft drinks.

I don't regret the change -- it could be impolite to refuse the drink, and impossible to get through the afternoon after a glass or two -- and the companies and the arteries of their executives are probably better off in today's more abstemious climate.

But, with no disrespect to the Earl, I wish the bloody sandwich had never been invented. Especially if you're on Montignac or Atkins or some sort of low-carb regime, you're out of luck. If it can be done so without seeming rude or scattering bits all over the place, I will (very rarely) remove the fillings and eat them -- this is easiest if there are discrete pieces of cheese or meat, impossible when there are pastes of various sorts.

When I arrange a working client lunch, I usually ask the canteen to send down "plated salads": greens, smoked salmon or tuna, some bread rolls for those who want them, cheeses, fruit. Mineral water or soft drinks. A much more pleasant way to eat and work.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

and if you are anywhere near Baker & Spice, go there, for the most astounding selection of traiteur-type food. Wild rice salads, grilled fennel + orange, grilled quail, poached salmon, bruschetta, goats cheese pastries, tiny chocolate chip cookies, all available by weight in small plastic containers. You may have to hand over approximately twice its weight in gold to pay for it, but I had grilled broccoli in olive oil and chili the other day that made me cry with happiness.

(edited for hyperbole) (to add it, I mean)

Edited by curlywurlyfi (log)

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

For those in EC1 this may sounds like a wierd recommendation

but there is a Safeways(Morrisons) in Whitecross Street behind the Barbican that has a very nice rotisserie, sandwich bar, salad bar, deli, pizzeria. A whole rotisserie chicken is £2.99 and a 8 in fresh stone baked pizza is £3.79.

Their is also a nice chippie down that road.

Also on Whitecross Street:

Carnevale - interesting vegetarian food which can be quite good if a bit pricey - they have a salad bar (not self service) to take away

And a Japanese place which is tiny, cheap and unlicenced but not at all bad for a quick lunch