• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mark Bittman on Seattle food scene

I haven't yet completed reading this article http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/travel/03tab.html , but I wanted to let people know about it.

While Cascadia is outside my price range & Lampreia just hasn't beckoned to me yet. I'm pleased to see that he's chosen Salumi & Lark to be among his chosen & favored few in the article.

BTW, I don't know Bittman, but he was very nice in responding to an e mail query about how to prepare & handle the corn used in making posole.

For the life of me, I don't understand why he left off Harvest Vine!

great article - thanks for posting. was it just me or did the cascadia mention seem oddly negative? the food review was all positive except for allusions to "foundering" but the description of the room made me NOT want to go there. hmm...maybe it was the (accurate) word "corporate"

i just feel a little bad for cascadia. it's been ominously empty the last few times i've been by and i guess i'm a little paranoid - it's just that if i had just read that article - knowing nothing of seattle - cascadia is the last place on bittman's list i'd go.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

great article - thanks for posting. was it just me or did the cascadia mention seem oddly negative?

reesek....I agree with you. I was very disappointed as well.

Though I've only gone to Cascadia twice I can't wait to go again in the next few weeks. Everything from the ambience of the room...the presentation of each plate...everything is first-rate and also first-class in my book.

I don't know why it's not full every single night....

Is a 3-course dinner for $25 out of your price range? If not...I strongly suggest you give it a try.

I had NO IDEA! I've been dying to eat at Cascadia but I once stopped by a few yrs. ago & looked at the menu & the prices seemed much higher than that. Perhaps they've adapted their menu. I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks...

i just feel a little bad for cascadia. it's been ominously empty the last few times i've been by

That's how I've felt in Brasa recently. Quiet as a tomb. I went to Cascadia's bar on Saturday and the restaurant was quite busy. But of course one would hope for that at least on a weekend.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

[i had NO IDEA! I've been dying to eat at Cascadia but I once stopped by a few yrs. ago & looked at the menu & the prices seemed much higher than that. ...

I've only been in the area for 2 years and from what I've read Cascadia initially was very expensive with no options for a more modestly-priced menu.

We've been twice....once having two of the tasting menus, the usual cocktails and wine.

The second visit we wanted to try the $25 menu and were not the least bit disappointed.

Now, on to their July 5th Anniversary menu...can't wait !

[i had NO IDEA!  I've been dying to eat at Cascadia but I once stopped by a few yrs. ago & looked at the menu & the prices seemed much higher than that.  ...

I've only been in the area for 2 years and from what I've read Cascadia initially was very expensive with no options for a more modestly-priced menu.

We've been twice....once having two of the tasting menus, the usual cocktails and wine.

The second visit we wanted to try the $25 menu and were not the least bit disappointed.

Cascadia opened as a higher end restaurant, with emphasis on the tasting menus, starting at around $50. They've since retooled, to survive in current economic times.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I thought it was weird that he didn't mention Kerry Sear by name. . . when he was (iirc) pretty goopy about Sundstrom. Also--where was Union in this review?!

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Yes, I walked by the window & looked at the menu only a few wks. or months after it opened. If I recall correctly, the menu seemed even pricier than $50/dinner. I don't usually balk at prices like that. But when prices get upwards of $100, that's when I walk away. It's why I've never been to the HerbFarm, though I'd love to try it sometime.

Would you believe I *still* have a copy of the menu from the opening of Cascadia? (I am the Queen of useless (mostly) restaurant information). The prices at Cascadia then vs. now is actually territory we've covered in other older Cascadia threads, but I thought I'd revisit it in the interest of the current thread.

The prices were absolutely higher when Cascadia opened in July 1999, but not out of the sky too high.

Prices then:

Wild & Gathered Menu: $90 for tasting menu. Or, priced separately on the Wild & Gathered menu: $8 white truffle potato soup; $11 for baked halibut cheeks w/morels; $9.50 for honey smoked barbecued quail; $30 for wild grass and herb baked partridge w/potato puree or $28 for wile king salmon on cedar fronds w/brandied cherry sauce

The Season Menu: $65 for tasting menu. Prices for separate dishes on that menu: $7 for Yakima valley soft fruit salad, $15 for chilled dungeness crab salad; $8.75 for vine ripened tomato w/goat cheese salad; $8 for manilla clams/PC mussels; $21 for summer eggplant ravioli w/glazed veggies and sweet basil broth and $25 for herb roasted free-range chicken w/potatoe cheese tart and mixed bean salad

From the Market Menu: $72 for the tasting menu. Or priced separately; $7.50 farmers select lettuce w/herb vinegars, $11 for free range chicken terrine and spot prawns, $8 for Cascadia grown vegetables w/golden beef emulsion; $27 for skillet roasted rockfish, dungeness crab steak and sweet corn/heirloom tomato compote; $29 for grilled WA beefsteak w/summer squash, sweet onions and tarragon beef reduction.

Decidedly Northwest Menu: $85 for tasting menu. Or priced separately: $6.50 baby spinache and marinated bean curd salad; $18 fresh raw Cascadia region oysters w/Yellowstone caviar, apples and mustard seedlings; $12 for King salmon 'two ways'; $10.50 soup in a can; $23 for roasted rack fo Oregon rabbit w/crisp yearling salmon and herbed pan juices; $34 for rosemary basted lamb lion with grilled apples, garlic straw fries and pinot noir glaze

PRICES NOW: Entrees are $23-$40; starters are $6-$18. Seems like those prices have remained constant since opening. The 7-course tasting menus are slightly lower, $65-$80 (and a $50 vegetarian meal). What has changed is the addition of the $25 3-course meals, which I think was a great move to hit all pricing points. Also, the bar menu is cheaper and in some ways better from when Cascadia opened. link to Cascadia's current tasting menu

By the way, I have the opening menus from Brasa and Waterfront (ahem, useless, but my theory is someday a restaurant museum will open and I will graciously donate them for display).

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

By the way, I have the opening menus from Brasa and Waterfront (ahem, useless, but my theory is someday a restaurant museum will open and I will graciously donate them for display).

Actually, the Seattle Public Library has a menu collection. I think there was a feature story on it in the Seattle Times, not too long ago. You might see if they are interested in relieving you of your collection when you are ready to part with it.

Hey, Chow Girl !

You have a collection of (albeit useless) opening menus...I have a collection of weight gained from visiting such restaurants !

Though it may be sounding like I work for Cascadia or something...(no, I don't) I have to say that I think it's probably the best restaurant I've been to since moving to this area...And, yes, the $25 3-course dinner makes it affordable for most anyone....

great article - thanks for posting. was it just me or did the cascadia mention seem oddly negative? ... i just feel a little bad for cascadia.

I wouldn't feel too bad. It was one of only four restaurants in Seattle featured prominently in the New York Times, during the summer tourist season. I'm sure many other restaurants (such as Union) are wishing they had been included. I've been to Cascadia once and greatly enjoyed the $25 3-course menu.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Actually, the Seattle Public Library has a menu collection. I think there was a feature story on it in the Seattle Times, not too long ago. You might see if they are interested in relieving you of your collection when you are ready to part with it.

Egads!! What a great source for information. I so have to go check out the library's menu collection (I bet mine is better, hahaha). Thanks for the tip.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Egads!! What a great source for information. I so have to go check out the library's menu collection (I bet mine is better, hahaha). Thanks for the tip.

But their's goes back futher in time. It was Nancy's story:

A Taste of History

and a follow up:

a little more

Ha! That is a really terrific story. I am going to have my will changed so that the library gets my massive collection of menus when I kick off. For now, the menus will remain in my file cabinet, just in case there is an eGullet inquiry that needs answering. heh.

-- Frank Bruni