• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airline Food: The Topic

A couple of airline threads flying around eG are linked below:

Upgrade Me! (Air Canada guy whose blog is linked above)

Air Canada's food service (my recent trip from YVR to LHR and back)

The airline food industry is quite interesting; nowadays it seems like the airlines are all sitting on one of the two extremes - very high-end or very low. These days on AC coach class domestic flights you can only buy a hot slice of pizza, or else snack foods such as gummy bears or cookies.

There's an airline named after a Formula-1 driver, who was horribly disfigured in a crash -- Alda-, Aldan Air, something -- I don't recall (it just kinda struck me that it didn't really inspire confidence in me, to be flying on an airline run/operated/named after a guy who wound his car around a flagpole and ended up looking like the Extra Crispy Kentucky Fried Elephant Man, ya know? Oh, but I digress...)

I caught a flight with them from Germany to Austria, and boya, they had some fancy food there. This was business-class -- which isn't at all like US business-class of course (same seats, just different colors), but the food is different from coach (or Euroclass or whatever it was called).

The flight was a very short one, so it wasn't much more than a snack. But it was very artistic and elegant.

in case you want to reminisce Lauda Air

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 4 months later...

I know it might be a little late, most planes are no longer serving food.. So if its chips, a little cheese plate, or some Ramen Noodles, it still might be cool to see whats happening.. Plus, it might give you something to do for a little bit, while stuck on a plane..

I would also like to see what people pack for trips.. I take frequent flight over 5 hours and most always make something for the trip.. Sometimes, I make in air table tray guacamole.. I always surprise the guy next to me when I break out the mortar and pestle. (I should probably say I am joking) The best sandwich to have on a plane is of the prosciutto y mozz variety.. I bring Korean cup 'O soups that they pour the hot tea water in for me..

I make Grinders: split Italian bread brushed with olive oil, then layered with Genoa salami, provalone, fresh tomato, and filled with a salad of leaf lettuce, olive oil, s&p, and red pepper flakes. These taste better and better as they sit, so they make wonderful airplane fare. Add in some water and a nice, crispy apple, and I'm set.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I always pack fruits, leben and Evian Spray. I get so dried out when I fly that I only drink water. No salt for me. Oh, and of course, the chocolate snack is de riguer. But, then, I ALWAYS have a chocolate snack on me.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I must have mentioned this before, like in a previous thread on airline food, but when I'm taking a long flight (like to the West Coast or Europe), I like to get a pastrami sandwich and a large cole slaw from Katz's. If Katz's is closed, I'll pick up something from Grand Sichuan St. Marks (I think I got Hunan Chicken the last time), and make sure they pack some chopsticks and napkins and give me a really sturdy bag. Other times, I've been known to just get a Kozy Shack pudding (I loved their Dulce de Leche, but damn it, they stopped making it, it seems!) and pick up a couple of bagels from my local kosher bakery.

Michael aka "Pan"

I just flew back to Japan from the Philippines on Thai Airways and had what was one of the best airline dishes I have ever had. Actually, I would say it was one of the best versions of that particular dish I've ever had. It was Thai--they called it Pork Stir Fry but it was only pork, and I think it was what I know as Garlic Pepper Pork. Not the dry kind, but the kind with a sauce. Seriously, it was even better than the one my dad used to make (he was born and raised in Thailand, and learned to cook at the heels of his royal-cuisine-educated mother while she directed the maids in the kitchen).

The rest of the meal was good, too--the bread especially was nice--soft and warm nori bread, I think, and the dessert was flan--much tastier than most airline dinner desserts. The only negatives were the noodle salad (overcooked, tasteless noodles) and the rice (crappy quality rice).

The best sandwich to have on a plane is of the prosciutto y mozz variety.

I do that often. Great combo and it holds up well. I always bring food that doesn´t give off strong smells because I once sat next to a man with a weak stomach during a turbulent flight. The guy in front of us opens up his Burger King McNasty in a closed ventilation environment and he lost his lunch. So out of consideration for otehr passengers and also for the sake of avoiding attention I leave the stilton on the ground.

I also once travelled with a good friend who was body-building at the time. As much as I love tuna, I wanted to smack him when he popped open a couple of cans of the cheapest stuff on the market and put it into hot instant oatmeal.

Other favorites include Marcona almonds or other nuts that I toast and perhaps spice or caramelize at home. Really lifts the spirits when you can have something other than the usual little packet of hydrogenated cheese flavored pretzel mix or stale peanuts that they offer with your aperitif on board.

I also bring cherries if they are available but make sure I finish them all before I get to customs :rolleyes: .

If there´s a good pastry shop in the airport, I always pick up a couple of treats for dessert. I had a layover in Paris yesterday and picked up pistachio macarons and a rhubarb and frangipane tart. Also got a small roll with lardons. Friend got a croissant but that was a mistake because although it was wonderfully flaky she ended up with crumbs all over her black coat for the rest of the flight.

i always bring a lemon or two--one for transatlantic leg to ny from the uk, two for the flight to sf from the uk.

the lemon is to squeeze into tomato juice with ice, worchestershire sauce and tabasco, sort of a virgin mary. i don't like to drink alcohol on long flights, and the lemon juice, and plenty of it, seems like the only fresh and invigorating thing on the whole plane.

sometimes i take raw red pepper, too, as its fresh and sweet. and i usually have a bar of chocolate just in case. and on any flight from nyc i'll have a pastrami on rye in my backpack.

too many things taste weird on flights, so i like a little selection of not too smelly foods, or crisp and soft and sweet and sour flavours and textures. cause i never know how bumpy it will be, or how much of the inflight meal i'll feel like eating.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Swiss (formerly Swiss Air) has excellent meals. I often fly from the East Coast to Europe and have been known to take my flight to Zurich and then switch planes just because I like their food so much. Sound loony? Well, I find that the 40 minute connection flight from Zurich to Paris isn't really so much of a hassle after such a nice flight on Swiss.

Flying into Tel Aviv fron NYC on a regular basis is tough - their food is actually not that great. Israeli salad is the only decent thing going for them really.

I travel for work in the US and you're right, Daniel, many flights have stopped serving food. Southwest has beverage service and a zip locked snack pack - granola bar, pretzles, and peanut butter sandwich crackers. American has something similar - as does Delta.

I usually pack water, fruit, and some sort of munchies. Once I tried to bring a salad, but the dressing spilled into my bag and was a nightmare. Chips are out too because of the crumb issue. Nuts, fruit, cheese, and pate work well for me. I try to find non-crumbly crackers like ak-mak or wasa crispbread to accompany. You can have a nice little spread without a messy clean up.

Like marlena spieler, I like lemon in my water for flights. There is something invigorating and bright about the flavor.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

(I loved their Dulce de Leche, but damn it, they stopped making it, it seems!)

That's my fault. I loved it too, therefore it's discontinued. on the website, they list a butterscotch pudding, so maybe that's similar. Haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, on my last flight (AA), to and from London, I had delicious meals both ways. Lasagne to and beef stew with spaetzle (!!!) from. Then they gave us a little snack box towards the end with crackers, fake cheese, cookies and something else, I think potato chips.

I'm not organized enough to pack a meal before flying, but most airports have delis with decent sandwiches ready to go (JFK's JetBlue terminal in particular)...otherwise I just carry some protein bars or fig newtons.

I make Grinders: split Italian bread brushed with olive oil, then layered with Genoa salami, provalone, fresh tomato, and filled with a salad of leaf lettuce, olive oil, s&p, and red pepper flakes. These taste better and better as they sit, so they make wonderful airplane fare. Add in some water and a nice, crispy apple, and I'm set.

I want to fly with YOU :smile: .

I also like to make Italian sandwiches, and I never include onions. While there will always be something that offends the nose of someone, onions (which I don't like raw anyway) seem to cause a strong odor on planes while the ingredients above are pretty much benign.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

We fly from DTW( detroit) to FLL( ft.lauderdale) a couple times a year. We usually fly out in the morning and arrive in Ft. Lauderdale in plenty of time for lunch :biggrin:

However, on our way home, I usually always pack us a sandwich and chips because often we drive back to Ontario after our flight lands( 3hr drive).

I love boar's head deli and Publix has an extensive selection. I can also get some nice Jewish rye and a half sour pickle. I can't forget the chips either, a sandwich just isnt a sandwich without them.

Oh and also, a black and white for a little sweetness.

( ok, im totally craving a big boar's head turkey sandwich now and its only10:38am)

(I loved their Dulce de Leche, but damn it, they stopped making it, it seems!)

That's my fault. I loved it too, therefore it's discontinued.

:biggrin::biggrin:

I thought I was the only person in the world that

happened to! Favorite kinds of apparel, food, whatever vanish

as soon as I decide it's on my "want always" list.

I am also banished from the room when some important matches

are on TV because when I watch the team I favour will surely lose.

Back on topic: it seems like international flights still serve

food, sometimes good sometimes awful.

Domestic flights don't do food any more, so I always pack

because of I get grumpy AND nauseated when hungry.

Most of my packed food choices are geared to

preventing or soothing motion sickness (yes, I know

drugs exist, and take them for long flights)

I usually pack lemon rice or yogurt rice (you can take the girl

out of the Tamilian village but can't take the village out of her)

with a BIG hunk of lemon and mango-ginger pickle to

ward off motion sickness.

Second choice, idlis or poha.

Disposable containers.

If I'm forced to buy overpriced airport food I hope there's

a burrito type place because I can reduce it to its components

(beans, rice, chapatis, vegs to my South Asian mind,

all decently spicy) and enjoy.

Yogurt's always good.

I also try to get a lemon slice in my water.

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

I'm very unimpressed with Air Canada's transatlantic meals - especially their vegetarian options (cold, stale roll with margarine and cold 'roasted' peppers is a meal?) :angry:

I like to pack a lot of little things, but I generally only eat in airports, not in the plane (I have a tendency to get motion sickness :wacko::sad: ). On the flight itself, water only, and maybe a few melba toasts. Favourites for waiting lounge snacking (dependent on my stomach of course): olives, nuts, crunchy raw veggies, cherry tomatoes, a nice cheese, apple, dried fruits, a nice roll, and copius amounts of tea.

Another complaint about Air Canada: just about the only food of their's I liked were the packets of salted nuts (can't really mess those up), but they've replaced them with horrid soy (or sesame?) snacks. ugh.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

What I pack also depends on what time my flight leaves. If it’s a morning flight, I’ll pack breakfasty stuff, such as a bagel with cream cheese, muffins, etc. If it’s an afternoon/evening flight, I’ll pack a sandwich on a good crusty baguette. Nuts, dried apricots, or pretzels for a snack, and something sweet like a cookie for dessert. I also freeze a bottle of water to use as an ice pack, which of course, eventually melts, and serves as drinking water.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I pack some Mr. & Mrs. T's Bloody Mary Mix, a little vodka, and some extra celery. :biggrin: It's a little tradition my husband and I have from our honeymoon flight, where we were bumped into first class both ways.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

When we leave here we always go to the little restaurant and get a kalua pork sandwich

and a couple Grey Goose martinis. It's too hectic to fix sandwiches and whatnot, maybe

we take some roasted unsalted almonds along. On the way back we always stop at

Wolfgang Puck's and have a breakfast pizza as there are only a.m. flights available

and vodka with cranberry juice. Since on the way back we are coming from Chicago I

always have some Jay's cheese corn in a plastic bag, I really should stop that habit!

Not only for the salt but it makes your fingers bright orange, always reminds me of

my granny's orange/brown fingers from smoking unfiltered Chesterfield cigarettes :wink: a hui hou

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Last week for a trip from Boston to SFO I put together a little container with smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers; a second one with a nice egg salad with more capers, garlic, chives and parsley; and a third with sage Cheddar cheese and grapes. I stuck all the little plastic containers into a bag with a freezer pack, some cocktail rye adn crackers, and a party paper plate and napkins. Alas, the plane was completely packed, cramped, and poorly ventilated, so I didn't have the heart to open the smoked salmon or the egg salad, and I was reduced to the cheese and grapes and wishful thinking. Drat. On the way home, since I was already lugging two jumbo Dungeness crabs on another freezer pack, I got the turkey/cranberry/something else wrap AA was peddling for in-flight food. It exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations.

My pumpkin muffins are my most frequent choice. I've shared them with the stews when they ran out of their little individualy packaged donuts on a morning flight.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Kiddle is flying in the morning. I just checked her snack bag for the flight. She has packed sugar free Bazooka gum, Trident, A Fuze Energize drink, a Starbucks light Frappucino, MY Evian spray(hmmm), a sandwich bag of Neopets IslandBerry Crunch cereal(General Mills, 3g fiber per serving), 2 apples, a sandwich bag of grapes and a box of strawberry Pocky. Should I remind her that it is only a 2 1/2 hour flight to Fort Lauderdale? :blink:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 9 months later...