• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ginger in yeast breads

Wholemeal Crank

I've had some trouble getting a new sweet bread recipe to rise. I've been playing with a recipe including dried pears and crystallized ginger. Anyone know if ginger inhibits yeast activity? Probably the problem lies elsewhere, but I thought I'd check with you smart people just in case.

too much sugar % inhibits yeast activity. look here first.

go to your local artisan baker and ask for SAF gold. It's a yeast developed for high sugar doughs. otherwise jack up the yeast dose.

regards

ps if anyone would know about ginger it would be shirley corriher of cookwise fame.

thanks for the replies. And I guess that's why cinnamon is usually added to bread in a swirl.

BTW, the bread was not very sweet, or very rich, just loaded with the dried fruit and ginger. Still, this time I'll make sure I'm using the Gold yeast, and probably will swirl in the goodies after rising and just before the proof, to minimize any harm they might do.

If this works, I'll post the recipe.

I have heard that one of the enzymes in raw honey can inhibit yeast growth, but not that ginger could. It would be interesting to make a tried and true bread with only the addition of ginger to see what happens.

I wouldn't be too surprised if ginger inhibits yeast activity. I know garlic does. I found this out when I was struggling with different garlic bread recipes long time ago. Adding the crystalized ginger just before the second rise is not a bad idea.

too much sugar % inhibits yeast activity. look here first.

go to your local artisan baker and ask for SAF gold.  It's a yeast developed for high sugar doughs.

Ditto. The SAF Gold is wonderful.

if anyone would know about ginger it would be shirley corriher of cookwise fame.

From Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise":

"The old German bakers' tale about a pinch of ginger was true-- certain spices do enhance yeast's activity. Small amounts of ginger, ground caraway, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and thyme all improve yeast activity. Dry mustard, like salt, strongly inhibits yeast growth."

Then she goes on to say that a few spices, specifically cinnamon and cloves, improve yeast activity at low levels (for cinnamon, 5 to 10 percent of the weight of the yeast) but at higher levels (equal the weight of the yeast), it "dramatically reduces" yeast activity.

According to the chart in the book, ginger (and I am assuming they are referring to powdered ginger) is not inhibitive, even at equal the weight of the yeast.

thanks for the replies. And I guess that's why cinnamon is usually added to bread in a swirl.

I believe cinnamon is usually added in a swirl because it reacts strangely to yeast breads, often creating a seemingly metallic, off taste.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"