• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Supplies & Ingredients in Montreal

Just in from the JTM. A zoo it was, not that I'm complaining. Tons of bedding plants and many flowers made for fragrant strolling up and down the allées. A few sightings:

- Meyer lemon trees, about 5½ feet tall, with golf ball-size, lime-green fruit. $99 at the nursery outlet just north of L'Olivier.

- Huge rosemary bushes, the size of a tumbleweed, at one of the herb retailers more or less facing Havre aux glaces. Didn't ask the price.

- Première Moisson now sells pasta. I picked up a plastic tray of three-cheese ravioli. Will report when I get around to eating it.

- Chez Louis has what they're calling wild asparagus, imported from Europe. Looks like a pale green stalk of wheat on steroids. If I heard correctly (and going by the way the face of the lady who asked the price blanched, I did), a small bunch — a side dish for two people — costs $24.99. They also had big fresh summer truffles from Oregon at slightly over $1K a kilo or approximately $70 the fungus. I passed but did get the cashier to open the container to let me smell. Sigh.

- Havre aux glaces has implemented crowd control measures: a U-shaped one-way line. Sorry to report that they refuse to mix flavours in half-litre containers. If you want cassis-vanilla swirl, you buy a half litre of cassis and a half litre of vanilla. Not sure I understand the reasoning here. The matcha tea ice cream is as intense as their other products; am not sure that's such a good thing, however.

edit: Forgot to mention that Aqua Mare, the fish store at the north end of the new extension, has bags of addictive Calbee Shrimp Flavored Chips. About the size and shape of Cheetos, the chips are baked and so relatively low in fat. Wasabi powder gives them a sinus-clearing bite with the shrimp flavour just peeking though. $1.99 per 95 gram bag

Edited by carswell (log)

My latest JTM rave is the traiteur/fast food joint with the sandwiches, burgers, soups, and selection of daily dishes (I forget the name; it's the big place just south of the Charlevoix veal & lamb people). The lunch you get for $10 or less is really quite wonderful for the price. In most towns, there's be a golden arches or equivalent in that spot, so I feel very lucky. The carré de porc was quite nice yesterday.

Boucherie Traiteur Prince Noir

Marché Jean-Talon

7070 Henri-Julien

(514) 906-1110

• 1 month later...

And now for something completely different...

At ExoFruits on Saturday, Mexican jumping beans. Four active beans, a little smaller than peaberry coffee beans, in a small transparent pastic box for $1.99. No idea as to the shelf life of these things, so don't make a detour without calling first: (514) 738-1384.

Does anyone know where I can get goat from? I want to make curried goat.

I get my neighbourhood butcher to special-order it for me. He needs a week's notice: Boucherie de Paris (5216 Gatineau, 514 731-6615).

Several butchers at Jean-Talon and Atwater markets will also special-order it and may even stock it from time to time. Try Boucherie du Maché (south side of JTM, 514 270-7732), Capitol (ditto, 514 276-1345) and Le Prince Noir (east side of JTM, 514 906-1110). In her column in last week's Hour, MaeveH mentions that there's now a Latin American butcher on the north side of the JTM, Boucherie-carniceria Mundial, but doesn't provide contact info. That'd probably be a good bet, as would the two branches of the pan-Latin American Supermarché Andes (436 Bélanger corner St-Denis, 514 277-4130; and 4387 St-Laurent, 514 848-1078). There are also some Jamaican butchers on Victoria north and south of Van Horne and in Westmount/NDG; perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in with details.

You are awesome! I will call them to order my goat. I was advised to go to the butcher on Onatrio a little east of St. Laurent but their premises are filthy! Thanks for the choices, I will check them out this week.

Volailles et Gibiers de Fernando 116, rue Roy Montréal Tél. (514) 843-6652)

Yes! They always slip my mind. And I still haven't gotten around to trying their confit. Anyway, chances are good they'll have goat or kid on hand.

You are awesome! I will call them to order my goat. I was advised to go to the butcher on Onatrio a little east of St. Laurent but their premises are filthy! Thanks for the choices, I will check them out this week.

That is a certified Halal (Muslim standard, similar to Glatt Kosher) Pakistani butcher. You may think it looks filthy but I guarantee that their meat is some of the tastiest in the city. They also have great samosas for pennies apiece.

There is another Halal butcher (this one is Iranian) on St. Laurent a little north of St. Catherine. They can get you goat or even mutton, which is really hard to find, and can be prepared in the ceremonial style typical for Eid, where the lamb or goat is cleaned and salted and seasoned, ready for spit-roasting whole.

Edited by ademello (log)

Hey Ademello, are you sure that Iranian joint is still open on St Laurent? I tried to keep an eye out for it when I whizzed by on my bike while doing the Main roundup, but didn't see it. Please let us know! I thought they were pretty great. Called Marche Rose, or something like that...

Edited by MaeveH (log)

Hey Admello, are you sure that Iranian joint is still open on St Laurent? I tried to keep an eye out for it when I whizzed by on my bike while doing the Main roundup, but didn't see it. Please let us know! I thought they were pretty great. Called Marche Rose, or something like that...

Good timing Maeve - I spent the day yesterday doing a walking tour of the city from the Old Port to the Plateau and back home down St. Denis st. I was amazed at how run down that area of the city is. Unfortunately, the place seems closed now. I wasn't aware that they were seeing hard times, but that entire area is a wasteland now.

Ah, thanks for confirming. Too bad. It's an odd area that waxes and wanes (but ble bon riz forever remains -- is that place actually any good? but I digress from the thread...)

just ate at bon ble riz (third time) -- food's good but the cutlery is, well, not clean. and the vodka martinis are the smallest on record.

- Chez Louis has what they're calling wild asparagus, imported from Europe. Looks like a pale green stalk of wheat on steroids. If I heard correctly (and going by the way the face of the lady who asked the price blanched, I did), a small bunch — a side dish for two people — costs $24.99.

A bit late on this one... It isn't wild asparagus, it's a type of grass, remember reading a slightly vitriolic french article to this effect. Not bad though, but not worth the price and misleading name tag.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, Hope you're all having a great summer and enjoying the abundance of produce!!! I live on the south shore so JTM and Atwater are not exactly a hop, skip, and jump, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll get sour cherries there. Don't get me wrong, I love bings, raniers, queen Anne's but I am looking for sour cherries. Anybody seen 'em? Thanks in advance!

Hi Everybody, Hope you're all having a great summer and enjoying the abundance of produce!!!  I live on the south shore so JTM and Atwater are not exactly a hop, skip, and jump, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll get sour cherries there.  Don't get me wrong, I love bings, raniers, queen Anne's but I am looking for sour cherries.  Anybody seen 'em? Thanks in advance!

I didn't see any earlier today on a lightning run through the place. Will let you know if/when I do. (Beautiful raspberries were very much in evidence, however.)

There were a couple of interesting new additions to the extension:

- Philippe de Vienne (of Olives et Épices) has opened another store — this one between Havre aux Glaces and Les Délices de la mer — called La Dépense. Mainly condiments, many of them ethnic (Chinese, Mexican, etc.).

- A tortilla maker has set up shop in a stall facing Olives et épices. Didn't get a chance to taste her wares but the griddle looked absolutely authentic.

Was in a rush because I'd just picked up some ice cream from Havre aux glaces and wanted to get it into my freezer asap. Unfortunately, it wasn't their newest flavour, the sold-out ginger-rhubarb sorbet. But I did get a chance to taste the nougat ice cream on Bastille Day and it was a knockout.

There were a couple of interesting new additions to the extension:

- Philippe de Vienne (of Olives et Épices) has opened another store — this one between Havre aux Glaces and Les Délices de la mer — called La Dépense. Mainly condiments, many of them ethnic (Chinese, Mexican, etc.).

- A tortilla maker has set up shop in a stall facing Olives et épices. Didn't get a chance to taste her wares but the griddle looked absolutely authentic.

Was in a rush because I'd just picked up some ice cream from Havre aux glaces and wanted to get it into my freezer asap. Unfortunately, it wasn't their newest flavour, the sold-out ginger-rhubarb sorbet. But I did get a chance to taste the nougat ice cream on Bastille Day and it was a knockout.

The tortilla make sounds like a very welcome addition to the market. I will have to keep an eye out next time I'm there.

I don't know about availability in Montreal, but it has been a banner year for sour cherries in New York State. They have been available for about the past month at the Glens Falls and Saratoga Farmers markets. In fact tonight we will be making grilled pork tenderloin with sour cherry compote.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

JTM Today July 17:

- Philibon Melons "Melon du Quercy" at Chez Louis. At $6.99 a pop.

- Intermiel

This honey vendor is now in place (June 24th - Oct 30). Kiosque 167.

Un-pasteurized Golden Rod Honey (Verge d'Or)

Blueberries & Raspberries with some Greek Yoghurt drizzled with the wild tasting golden rod honey.... or just berries and honey droplets for that matter.....

Oh yeah, Summer time at JTM!

- Reliable sources of New Potatoes in 1/2 " to 2 " sizes

- Roses (the wines) from Domain du Ridge, L'Orpailleur, Vignoble des pins etc well stocked at Marche des Saveurs for those who are brave enough to try a Quebec Rose alternative.

- And did someone notice the Blueberries-rhubarb or was it Cassis- Rubarb (the mind spins) a couple of weeks ago at Havre Aux Glace? Whatever - it was good!

- Plug for Libraire des Gourmets bookstore, They seem to be thriving! Drop in and purchase something so we can keep them there.

The tortilla make sounds like a very welcome addition to the market. I will have to keep an eye out next time I'm there.

I don't know about availability in Montreal, but it has been a banner year for sour cherries in New York State. They have been available for about the past month at the Glens Falls and Saratoga Farmers markets. In fact tonight we will be making grilled pork tenderloin with sour cherry compote.

Tortilla Maker definatley a happy addition. I think there are a few of us egulleters that would be happy to see the mexican thing pick up around here. As it is, I bring back my dried chilis from the states and it a sad state of affairs. As for the Cherries, I am quite jealous. I will go hunting tomorrow.

Heads up, Chantal. Just back from Exofruits on Côte-des-Neiges where they had baskets of just-off-the-truck first-of-the-season Ontario sour cherries and peaches. The cherries were $3.99/lb and much redder than usual. If a green grocer has them, the farmers' markets probably do too. And it looks like the weather will moderate on the weekend, meaning it won't be insane to turn on the oven. Clafoutis, anyone?

As it is, I bring back my dried chilis from the states and it a sad state of affairs. 

Sorry, I don't know how thoroughly you've looked, nor am I familiar with your choices in the States...but have you tried Anatol (6822 St-Laurent/276-0107)? Best selection of dried peppers I've seen in town, and generally not all brittle and dusty as they are in all too many stores. (However, I haven't been lately, so I don't know what quality and selection are like at the moment.)

Also, some popular drying peppers (amarillo, ancho [or is that what it's called once dried? 'Fraid I'm not totally versed in pepper terminology], probably others) should show up in the market by late August (IIRC), if you're inclined to do it yourself.

Edited by Mr. Fagioli (log)

Heads up, Chantal. Just back from Exofruits on Côte-des-Neiges where they had baskets of just-off-the-truck first-of-the-season Ontario sour cherries and peaches. The cherries were $3.99/lb and much redder than usual. If a green grocer has them, the farmers' markets probably do too. And it looks like the weather will moderate on the weekend, meaning it won't be insane to turn on the oven. Clafoutis, anyone?

Yah hooooooo. Cherries, cherries, cherries she sings. I'm goin tomorrow!

Thanks AGAIN Carswell

Thanks for your help Mr. Fagioli. You egullet guys are very helpful. I'm not sure if I tried Anatol, sounds vaguely familiar, but I'll definately check it out. The dry dusty probelm is exactly what I've encountered. They can be found in Philippe De Vienne's store, and don't get me wrong, I happy he's around for a lot of stuff, but he really charges through the nose for dried chilis. I have a recipe for pumpkin seed enchiladas that alone uses 4 anchos -- BTW Anchos are ripened dried poblanos.

As far a peppers at JTM market, I thought I saw some well priced poblanos at the market last year, and have been looking for the same vendor but to no avail. I'll definately keep checking. This time I'll roast and freeze the damn things.

Edited by chantal (log)