• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Supplies & Ingredients in Montreal

I also see them often at of few fruiteries on plateau mont-royal.  Fruiterie Muscat (corner of St-Denis and St-Joseph) has some sometimes.  Passion des fruits on mont-royal between De Lorimier and De Bordeau also has some sometimes.

But I would add the Chez louis is the most reliable source and thier Jerusalem artichokes are alaways fresh and firm.

you mean, chez loui$?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of urgent, and i don't have time to go from store to store...

I'm looking for those small "Kisses" chocolate for a party, are they available pretty much everywhere ?

In the Downtown core, or plateau or Outremont area.

(I'm NOT looking to buy good quality chocolate, only the "Kisses", for good chocolate I know where to find some )

Thanks a lot.

M.

• 2 months later...
Hey, can anyone point me to Korean groceries in Montreal? I know there must be some around, but I've only managed to find vague references so far.

Thanks!

This is vague, but it is vaguely precise:

Decarie, west side of the street, south of Sherbrooke, north of Maisonneuve, south of the "play it again sports".

If anyone has an address or phone number (or name!) i'm sure cinnamonshops would appreciate it. There's also a korean shop on ste. catherine north side, between atwater and guy, it opened not long ago. sorry I don't have addresses or phone numbers or names, but if you look into these two places, I'm sure you'll find good Korean groceries. Esp. the one on Decarie.

EDIT: oh yeah, and in complexe du parc on park and prince arthur, in "eden" you will find decent korean stuff, dumplings, kimchee... eden is on the first floor, and there are two entrances: one inside next to boccacinos, and one outside on park ave.

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

This is vague, but it is vaguely precise:

Decarie, west side of the street, south of Sherbrooke, north of Maisonneuve, south of the "play it again sports".

If anyone has an address or phone number (or name!) i'm sure cinnamonshops would appreciate it.  There's also a korean shop on ste. catherine north side, between atwater and guy, it opened not long ago.  sorry I don't have addresses or phone numbers or names, but if you look into these two places, I'm sure you'll find good Korean groceries.  Esp. the one on Decarie.

EDIT: oh yeah, and in complexe du parc on park and prince arthur, in "eden" you will find decent korean stuff, dumplings, kimchee...  eden is on the first floor, and there are two entrances: one inside next to boccacinos, and one outside on park ave.

that's plenty precise for me! i haven't been to Eden in a long time, and didn't realize they had kimchi, etc. i'll definitely look for those other places too.

thanks so much!

Tryingsomethingnew Doubtful, certainly not from quebec at any rate. I don't think I've seen any lately but you might try calling Louis or Nino.

I can't provide names, but I can provide locations.

On Decarie just south of Sherbrooke is a good Korean Grocer. large volume and good clientele. Fresh Home made products.

St. Catherine West Near the corner of Fort. Clean, high volume, good client flow. Fresh home made products.

Sherbrooke St. West. (a few blocks) East of Cavendish. Good, but not as wide a selection of home made products as Decarie or St. Catherine West.

I don't understand one thing.... Every year the Korean grocer on Decarie has boxes of some of the largest and most flavourful Fuji Apples packed into boxes with Korean labeling. The product inside has stickers from Washington state. Clearly these are packaged for export to Korea. Why is it that the Fuji's we find in the grovery stores never even hold a candle to these? You might almost believe that they were exported to Korea and back to Montreal.

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

OK, I have to confess I was inspired by a thread on the Toronto board, so props to them.  :smile:

There are tons of items I can reliably find in Montreal; others, not so much. For example, I can find dragonfruit and pomelos, but I can't find yuzu.  :blink:

Likewise, I haven't been able to find curry leaves in Montreal since the Indian produce store on Parc Ave. closed.

So: where can I find yuzu and curry leaves? And is there anything you've been looking for and had difficulty finding?

I have not seen fresh Yuzu but you can get fresh pasteurized, and concentrate from La Depense in Jean Talon Market...

Marche Kim Po on Victoria south of Cote St Catherine has a collection of Kalamansi concentrate in powder and liquid form. No! it is not an exotic fruit, it is a Philippine Citrus similar to a sour orange

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

• 6 months later...

I've been wanting to buy a kitchen scale for some time now and have finally decided that now's the time. But I need help to find out what to buy and where to get it.

My criterias are:

1. Must be digital

2. Precision

3. Can handle a good amount of weight

4. Easy to switch between metric and imperial system

5. If possible, available in Montreal or could be shipped promptly (I would like to use it in my Christmas cooking.)

Thanks for your help!

I've looked around, and you'll find a much better deal that meets all your criteria at http://digitalscales.ca/ than at any montreal retailer.

I got mine at big fat giant obese desk, I mean, Bureau en Gros. it's a good machine...

What about a 1/10 gram precision scale, though?

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

I bought one at Ares, last saturday. It's a Danescook and it's alright, i guess. It handles up to 5kg and switches from imperial to metric with a single button on the front. It doesn't look too bad either. The only reason I bought it was because it was 4:45pm and I had to buy it that day. Otherwise, I would have shopped around. Anyway, I don't recommend Ares. Their prices seem a bit steep and even quite arbitrary at times. On top of that, half the demo scales they had out either had no batteries in them or didn't work properly. That sort of defeats the purpose of having demos on the shelves.

I like my salter scale because i can store it ina few second and is a single block. Precision, however, is also dependant of resolution. A scale that can take a big weight doesn't usually fair great in the resolution (or linearity towards small weight). As with all, zeroing down a 1 gram weight using a big pyrex dish would be counter productive.

http://www.salteronline.com/kitchen/205253/

Here is the one that I like. Available online in Canada from the site that Gabriel Lewis linked to upthread. They ship quickly. I like it so much that I actually bought a bunch for resale in my chocolate classes.

The beauty of this unit is that is doesn't shut itself off in the middle of weighing things, if you set it in grams it stays in grams until you reset to ounces. The one I used to have would shut itself off after a minute or so, always half way through weighing something, and when you turned it back on it defaulted to ounces, so you had to reset it every time. It weighs up to 7 kg, so you can put your pot on it, add your sugar, tare, add your glucose, tare again...