• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Supplies & Ingredients in Montreal

I think Carswell had started a similar thread a while ago talking about what we'd seen in the local markets.

True though that thread's more for reporting finds. I, too, had been thinking of starting a query thread, but gus beat me to it.

Fresh curry leaves I usually pick up at one of the Indian/West Indian/SE Asian stores on the west side of Victoria a couple of blocks north of Van Horne. The southernmost store is Marché Victoria Orientale (6324 Victoria, 514 737-4715), though I tend to go first to the smaller store a couple of doors north of that. Both stores also have a wide selection of hard-to-find ingredients like chat masala powder and drumsticks. Just make sure you freeze any dried herbs, spices, grains, pulses and chiles for a few days before putting them in your pantry (unless you like dealing with meal moth infestations, that is).

I've also seen curry leaves from time to time at the Kim Phat on Boyer near Côte-des-Neiges.

Way back when, there used to be a great fish monger on Laurier West, about where the Au Pain Doré outlet is these days IIRC. They had beautiful, lightly smoked, white-fleshed smoked trout and jars of delicious and affordable whitefish caviar from Lake Manitoba. Ever since they closed, I've had a hard time finding either ingredient, especially the trout. All the smoked trout these days seems to be rainbow (i.e. orange-fleshed), heavily smoked and often marinated to boot. It's been years since I've served an appetizer of smoked trout filet with horseradish cream or the simplest and most elegant pasta dish ever, a dish tailor-made for a romantic occasion (in a skillet, reduce heavy cream by a quarter; remove from heat; toss flaked smoked trout and boiled and drained fresh fettuccelli in the skillet with the cream; season with salt and white pepper; plate; garnish each serving with a tablespoon of golden caviar; serve with Champagne). Valentine's Day is fast approaching. Any leads?

edit: The recipe's based on one in the Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook.

Edited by carswell (log)

There are tons of items I can reliably find in Montreal; others, not so much. For example, I can find dragonfruit and pomelos, but I can't find yuzu.

Are you looking at Yuzu in juice format ? I'm pretty sure it's the only avail. version. If so, you can get it at La Mer on René Levesques, also Les Douceurs du Marché at Atwater should have it. If your looking for the fruit, you should try the Louis-Nino possibility at Jean Talon... I have never seen it myslef (but never really looked either). Soon the Meyers will be in?

sorry, don't know the names or addresses, but there's a few indian grocery stores on the south side of j-t, a few blocks east of acadie. and while you're there, go to indian curry house on j-t, one block east of acadie to eat the thali plate. you'll be happy, and it may even be the best 6 dollars you've ever spent.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

My new Gourmet arrived yesterday and it is all about your fair city. I haven't had a chance to really read it but from my quick scan last nigt, I noticed there were some food and cookware shops listed. You all probably already know of them but I just thought I would make you aware.

BTW, from what I've seen so far it really kindled my interest in visiting Montreal. I will leave it to you to decide if you think that's a good thing or not. :wink:

Edited because "coodward" is not a word.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

BTW, from what I've seen so far it really kindled my interest in visiting Montreal.  I will leave it to you to decide if you think that's a good thing or not. :wink:

The next few days would not be good to visit, but late spring is always nice. And would that be the March issue of Gourmet?

Edited by wattacetti (log)

BTW, from what I've seen so far it really kindled my interest in visiting Montreal.  I will leave it to you to decide if you think that's a good thing or not. :wink:

The next few days would not be good to visit, but late spring is always nice. And would that be the March issue of Gourmet?

You're just saying that to give you time to pack and get out of town before I get there. :wink: No, no time soon. Actually thinking of August when it's hot and humid here.

And yes, it's the March issue. Sorry.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

You're just saying that to give you time to pack and get out of town before I get there. :wink:  No, no time soon.  Actually thinking of August when it's hot and humid here.

And yes, it's the March issue.  Sorry.

Thanks for confirming: I'm looking forward to the March issue.

August in Montreal is hot and humid too; June/July gets you Formula 1 and Jazz Festival if those interest you.

• 4 months later...

Thought I would try and revive this topic rather than add to the pile of individual threads. I am seeking a good source for cheese or muslin cloth, preferably sold in large surface areas at a reasonable price in bulk. Anyone know anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it appropriate to bump this thread since JTM is now in full summer bloom. If you love tomatoes, then you must check out the gentleman situated in the new part of the market, SAQ side. Unfortunately, his name escapes me but when I next return I'll edit this to include his name, etc. & add a photo or 2. He's there Friday to Sunday only & has awesome heirloom tomates. He does not use pesticides & most (if not all?) are greenhouse grown. He sells 2 pints (chopins) for $5 & you pick the 2 you want. Each pint contains about 6-7 different tomatoes. Some of the varieties I was familiar with but I've never seen a yellow tomatoe with "peach fuzz" on it, or a variety he called a "purple Russian". The yellow & green tomatoes were juicy & sweet, not acidic in the least. Dinner last night was assorted tomates, bocconcini from Capitol, basil from one of the market vendors & fresh baguette, excellent extra virgin olive oil & 10 yr. balsamic.

Yep, and the two pints-for-5 don't last long do they.... I think there is two left...

They are from Les Tomates de M. Plante, Mirabel, QC.

http://www.jardindessaveurs.ca

You can also get them delivered to your house via the program at

http://www.jardindesanges.com/

Great source of oldfashioned organic tomatoes

Also, while you're at it check out the Iles de la Madeleine ham in the next stall....

Also, this year (first??) I am seeing those small "Lebanese" cucumbers (grown here). They are available at the regular tomato stands. Great sliced up with M Palntes tomatoes and some good olive oil.... ahhh... summer....

I've never understood why it wasn't easier to get heirloom tomatoes at JTM. This clearly shows that most of the stalls are just buyers and every single one of them offer one tomatoe, the good old Savoura, everyone, same price, same story, same taste... Kind of a shame. I strongly recommend people to try the green zebra and the cherokee purple and black Krim. I have been growing those for years, the real taste of tomatoes !

The greek or oriental cucumbers are also great, people who have gardens should try them out as plants outperform fruit setting like no other.

I have had 2 batches of sweet corn already and it is probably the best year ever. The heat, the water, any field that survived early floods have amazing production. We actually will freeze some this year.

The wild blueberries are also making their way and it also expected to be a record year, lower prices are expected.

Looks like it has been a great year for some crops and others have really suffered.

I strongly recommend people to try the green zebra and the cherokee purple and black Krim. I have been growing those for years, the real taste of tomatoes !

The greek or oriental cucumbers are also great, people who have gardens should try them out as plants outperform fruit setting like no other.

I have had 2 batches of sweet corn already and it is probably the best year ever. The heat, the water, any field that survived early floods have amazing production. We actually will freeze some this year.

The wild blueberries are also making their way and it also expected to be a record year, lower prices are expected.

Looks like it has been a great year for some crops and others have really suffered.

People who love tomatoes should heed your recommendation & I 100% concur with the green zebra! I've never tasted a tomatoe like that, simply orgasmic. After pigging out on so many heirlooms over the past few weeks, I fully understand why they are classified as fruit. Identifiler - do you grow for sale & if so, where can I get some of your sweet corn or heirlooms?

SF&M - thanks for the links. If you're at JTM early enough, Monsieur Plante is well stocked but I imagine by early afternoon his selection would start to be depleted.

Most of Mr. Plante's tomatoes are not heirlooms but hybrids. And I can't agree about the green zebra, which I find has a muddy taste.

If you go to Mr. Plante's stand ask for the pink tomatoes from Mr. Tratt. Mr. Tratt's tomatoes are heirloom and they have much better flavour. I think Mr. Plante tomatoes look great, but many of them are tasteless. However I know he's working to change that.

I am suprised of that. First of all, heirloom, new heirloom, heirloom cross or even hybrid which is in itself a huge debate in the case of the listed seeds offered by Plante as I read the website. The difference between a heirloom and a hybrid is rather here or there as there are many hybrids that retain high unique taste but are simply not grown in Montreal, even by the most commercial of growers. Do they grow them to a fine art is another ball of wax.

If a hybrid was created, it should be advertised as such, purple calabash, cherokee, black Krim, Amish are not hybrid tomatoes. I will say that some heirloom tomatoes are not true heirloom in pure sense but cannot simply be dicounted as hybrid and therefore tasteless. A tasteless tomato is one that is grown in the same low grade medium, at the same conditions (a montreal late and a yellow pear simply do not grow optimaly in the same conditions). A tasteless tomatoe is one that is doused with acqueduc chlorinated water at a set time, planted in the same location in the same bed, year over year... yes you will get bland fruits water washed fruits... This is similar to cheap basil grown in hydroponic conditions or hydrophinc salads, bland bland, super nice elongated bland leaves... taste like crap. If Mr. Plante can easily change the taste of his tomatoes, than it has nothing to do with a hybrid plant but everything to do with how it is grown and what medium is used. Based on the picures I see on the web, I am not suprised that he must drain a lot of water through these plants.

Reguarding Green Zebra (that is indeed a hybrid from about four 1920 circa heirloom until stabilised in the 80's, which in my book stands as almost heirloom)tasting muddy, some variants of green zebra can be considered tarty. The problem with green zebra is that many growers do not know when to pick them, often they are picked too late, green zebra overripped often retains it's physical characteristic for a long time but tastes "muddy" but I assure that a proper green zebra tastes tagny not very acidic, with some sweetness.

Personnally, I find the yellow, white heirlooms to be very tasteless, the fuzzy peach one I am not a fan of. These taste like that whatever the condition of the fruit. In most heirloom tomatoes, especially the black one (I consider Black Krim to be my favorite). It is much wiser to pick a tomatoe not completely ripe and let ripen 2-5 more days in a brown paper bag that will contain it's own ethylene to rippen the fruit. It is much better this way, over rippened black tomatoes tend to have a grainy texture.

Poutine, I do not grow sweet corn (corn is like a pest in a garden) and no I do not sell my veggies, I give them away. The corn this year, is friggin amazing.

Campo, I am not certain if they are still around anymore but the tomatoes in North Hatley are divine. The North Hatley Sutton region is often annual rent lots to organic farmers, who supply other growers for equiterre baskets. Sometimes they are hit and miss. The North Hatley one is apparently very good. There is also a grower in Sutton who sales by the main bakery there later in the year. Depends on the week. I have seen others, last year, who were selling cracked tomatoes, irregular use of water and bad irrigation, basic, she explained that the cracks were due to the heirloom "character" of the fruit, sorry, no dice, she was talking to the wrong guy.

It's funny reading that post because it goes against what a couple of organic gardeners have told me.

I once asked Mr. Daignault why Quebec vegetables had less flavour than French vegetables and he said it was the varieties grown, not the soil, which he says is excellent here. Mr. Tratt says the same, that it's the varieties and not necessarily the growing conditions.

So, you know, I'm just relaying what the experts told me. I guess it's a bit of both. But I can assure you those tomatoes looked fantastic, but could not hold a candle -- taste-wise -- to the red cherry tomatoes I bought at Berri. The zebra had none of that tartness or sweetness you speak of.

More peppery sightings:

Super Marché Andes (4387 St-Laurent) has a decent selection of Goya-brand dried peppers right now (ancho, pasilla, couple of others) that look to be in good condition (except the chipotles)...

they have a really nice selection of about 5-6 different types of dried chilis at Tortilleria Maya (5274 St-Laurent).

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Lesley, I do not understand what the challenge is. The potimaron growing in my garden is 100% french, from France and packaged in France, certified French... I would be very suprise if the genetic variation of a heirloom seed that is as popular as the ones listed on there would make a huge difference, those are very stable, open air or controlled pollinated. I think they just might have screwed up with seed origin, and that, is not a question of hybrid or not. I do not breed tomatoes, I would hope that these guys do not but very often do because it is part of cost. I do however, carefully select my seeds from serious catalogues with excellent reputations. I'm not a big fan of growers who work in tents anyways... There's sometime wrong with a heirloom organic plant setting fruit in early May in Quebec. Good or bad seeds...

In some instances, there are unique hybrids and very often a heirloom came from an original cross of something. For instance, the Kamouraska Espelette hybrid is an excellent product. Much smaller than the basque stuff, but the basque seeds would suffer here since it is so humid. It was open air polinated, is it a heirloom, a hybrid, a varaint, who knows, agronomists don't even agree.

• 2 weeks later...

After ages of avoidance, it's time for me to embrace this hard-to-find(?) ingredient.

I'm expecting you all to *scream* "Chinatown" at me...

If that's the case, can anyone recommend a particular shop? (Just trying to avoid the usual back-and-forth confusion between the silly white girl and the shop owners! LOL)

Just like the cops, I am prepared to offer a reward for information related to the apprehension of Kaffir Lime Leaves... it's just that my reward is Dragon's Beard Candy - no cash here!

For anyone interrested, I'm planning to make "Five Spoons of Creme Brulee", as conceived by Alan Wong, of Alan Wong's in Honolulu for a tasing dinner I'm catering. I tried this dish 2 years ago and it (like everything else at Alan Wong's - esp. the service) was fantastic. I found a recipe online at:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_5spoonscremebrulee.htm

Enjoy! And thanks for any help!

Ruby