• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderator Note: These posts about Salumi were submitted almost at the same time, and I thought Mario would enjoy seeing all of them.

Three weeks ago I had the rare opportunity to enjoy a Friday evening dinner at Salumi. It was wonderful! Click here for the full details.

This week I also joined Armandino's "adopt a proscuitto" program. I can't wait to get that thing home next fall.

Now that he's USDA certified, will you be carrying any of his products in your restaurants?

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Thanks for doing this Q&A with us...

I live in Seattle and go to Salumi for lunch as often as possible. In fact I was there for one of the sit-down lunches that are being offered twice a week now. Absolutely tremendous!

I was wondering if you would share your thoughts on what a phenomenon Salumi has been in Seattle, given that what I have heard were always fairly modest ambitions on your father's part when he opened it. It has literally changed the face of the food scene in the city.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

We here in NYC read with envy about the lunches enjoyed at Salumi. Is there any chance that your dad will make an extended visit here and work his magic? Or has he already taught you everything he can, so we just have to run around to all your places?

i am truly a lucky guy... does anyone think i just evolved into a good cooker with a passion??? it is all from my family,,,, mom and dad and sis and bro are all good cooks, i just happened to have hit the big time foist... watch out for them, all of them... and yes as soon as pops makes enough salami for a place bigger than his 13 seats i hope i am the first in line for the stuff mb until he gets up to full production there i doubt he will have time to do something in nyc