• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurants in Outer Banks?

dimsum

We're headed from Richmond, VA to the Outer Banks in North Carolina and would appreciate any good places to eat there (from Nags Head up north to Duck and Corolla) -- or along the way.

Thanks!

Don't miss Meridian 42 in southern shores. Beautiful wine list and grown up food in a casual but stunning dining room. call for reservations or go online to reserve.

www.meridian42.com I know they change their menu seasonally, haven't been since the summer...YET! I'm sure their menu is online...check it out!

the crabcakes (always off the menu are not to be missed!)

There's an article in the August 2004 Food & Wine about a resort named The Sanderling in Duck and a few restaurants in the resort and elsewhere (e.g., The Left Bank, Duck Deli). I'm not familiar with the places - but you might want to check them out. Robyn

My favorite is Carolina Blue in Southen shores. Its a pretty little room in a strip mall with a food lion, but the food is inspired and real and the wine list is well chosen food friendly and well priced. We had a expensive meal of ok food at Elizabeths Cafe. The wine list is poorly prepared and way overpriced. Based on reviews I have read this place is past its prime and just not a good value of ok food.

Nate

I visited the OBX about a month ago and had two great meals: lunch at Blue Point in Duck and dinner at the Left Bank at the Sanderling (I think both have websites). Both are on the water. Blue Point is casual and has almost a diner-type quality. The Left Bank is elegant, but friendly. I've eaten all over the world and came away from the Left Bank very happy (helped by the beautiful sunset and kick-ass mojito). Enjoy!

My husband and I tried to dine at the Blue Point last year. This place has been a tradition with his family since they have begun making trips to Duck. We were sorely disappointed by extremely rude staff, and our attempt at talking to management was shushed out the front door.

I don't mind giving places a second shot, but was so horrified by our treatment, that I've not had the nerve to go back.

The Left Bank is definately on my 'to-do' list for next summer.

Went to the Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk about a year back, business trip, and had a great steak, smoke gouda mashed potatoes and some yummy green beans with a great red suggested by the house its near the beach and kind of off the beaten path but it was truly a lovely meal.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 11 months later...

I know I left the last post. But I am going back in July any new places that we should try and old favorites not listed?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Well I live here. And am associated with every restauarant on the beach and its professionals.

Screw blue point, left bank, sanderling Inn, and ocean boulevard. They are all hype and no performance as far as I'm concerned. They spend a lot of money to get review out there to bring in the northeastern tourism.

My recommendations:

Freshest Seafood: Lone Cedar Cafe (on the causeway, Senator Basnights restaurant, almost like an uncle to me)

Great place all around:

Outer Banks Brewing Station (worked there for a year and half, very good friends with owners and they will treat you right, Eric and Aubrey)

Groupers Grill(very good friend with owner Matt Fretwell) Fusion upscale food, adults only, can get pricey 25-50 dollar range. Great show.

Meridian 42 is fantastic. They do an excellent job keeping up trends. Very similar to groupers. The current owner chuck actually owned Groupers and sold it to Matt. Chuck is head chef with a very good friend of mine, who wrote me a school rec. Grant (soux chef)

Great place for lunch or a quick brekfast - Beach Bread Co. My current occupancy as a baker. all Boars head meats, fresh house bread and pastries.

Quagmires is a very acceptable place for a family. very friendly staff, decent food and great price.

Metropolitan, I have not been too but have a couple former colleagues who work there and talk it up big. they from my experience do a very good job so I would recommend it at your own expense.

tortugas lie, goombays, the red drum and bacu grill are all decent places to go for lunch if your just a couple of buds grabbing a quick bite thats inexpensive yet not dissapointing.

Places to avoid, outerbanks steak house, applebees, outback steak house, windmill point, sam and omies and the ones I first mentioned.

The first ones will be too dissapointing for the money. They try to give an upscale groumet, from the garden whatever BS atmosphere and dont deliver.

PM if you have any other questions, interest since I dont check this thread often.

Oh and by the way, Carolina Blue no longer exists. They are moving to raleigh wher eI geuss they might get some business.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

I was just informed last night that my husband and I are now set up to go to the Blue Point with my sister-in-law and her husband.  I protested greatly, but to no avail. 

:angry:  Fudge.

Give us a report.....any improvement over your experience last year?

CBHall

I have been vacationing on the Outer Banks for more than 20 years. Have not been yet this year as we go in the fall. Lots of good food, lots of overpriced drek. My only specific comment here is about Elizabeth's Cafe. Highly rated almost everywere but not by me.

The food is good, the wine list extensive to that I agree. However, I do not need to pay that much money to be condesended by the staff. I know a litte about food and wine. In particular wine. When I attempted to engage them in a discussion of the wine choices all I got was alot of eye rolling and haruphing. I was supposed to take what they had and not question it as they were the experts and I was some chump. Unlike some I know who work in the business I work very hard not to be a nit-picker and overly critical when I go out. I am going out to have fun not to be a pain in the ass. However, I do know what is right.

What they want you to do is: read the reviews, eat, leave. My wife and I have a term that we use to describe this and other places like it. It is a place for RWF. RWF=Rich White Folks.

Save your money and enjoy two or three other meals out at some of the places mentioned above. We really do like Meridian 42 and Red Sky Cafe

Did I not mention Red Sky, I completely forgot I'm so sorry. Wess (owner/chef) and his wife bought this place a couple years ago and have been doing an outstanding job. He was the Exec Chef for Kelly's restaurant for 15 years before finally taking the plunge into proprietorship. It's a very elegnat enthusiastic little place just down the road from The Roadside Bar and grill (which isnt too bad for lunch either if you can get in)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just found this thread as I'm getting ready for my first trip to the OBX. :biggrin: Any recommendations specifically for Ocracoke? (Advice for what to avoid welcome, too.) Thanks!

"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

Is Kelly's still going?  I used to eat there annually with my family, but haven't been to Nags Head for a few years.

Kelly's is still there and is a favorite of many. I was only at Kelly's one time and was not thrilled. However I am in the minority as to Kelly's and they do big business

Kelly's is a night spot. And since the leaving of there Chef Wess they have been through numerous replacements never filling the void. Kelly's food is fine but not worth the wait in the summer.

Dean Anthony Anderson

Hi,

Just found this thread as I'm getting ready for my first trip to the OBX.  :biggrin: Any recommendations specifically for Ocracoke? (Advice for what to avoid welcome, too.) Thanks!

I love Ocracoke - though haven't been in ten years. We used to stay at the same inn (Captain's Inn?) and eat at the same restaurant each trip. In an old house. It was the only place that seemed like a real restaurant on the island. I loved it then but tastes change. Lovely setting. What was that place? Oy.

Take a boat to Portsmouth Island for shelling - but lather up with sunscreen. The far side of Portsmouth Island, when you are walking by yourself, seems as secluded as the moon. Ah, the memories.

Getting off topic as far as Nags head north to Duck/Corolla, but I just got back from Hatteras Island, my family's had a house there for almost 30 years. We mostly cook ourselves as restaurants on Hatteras are spotty. I do have a couple of recommendations for good eats.

Risky business seafood at Oden's dock in Hatteras village will steam you fresh local shrimp in season. Go sit on the dock, peel and eat, get a cold beer at the marina store next door. http://www.odensdock.com/seafood/

On this last trip, I tried a pulled pork sandwich from Lang's barbecue. Lang's is on the left as you head south on Route 168 roughly 5 miles north of the Wright Memorial bridge. The sandwich was very tasty with lots of slaw. They had ribs and brisket which I didn't try.

Also in Hatteras village, try Jeffrey's seafood. This place is in the fish cleaning house at Hatteras Harbor marina. They sell whatever their commercial boat catches that day. Usually only one or two species to choose from, but impeccably fresh and nicely priced. It's your lucky day if they have tuna, but I've had excellent dolphin, flounder, and king mackerel from there also. But, you have to cook it yourself!

• 11 months later...

Well peeps, I just returned from my yearly beach vacation at Duck.

Blue Point: They've just re-opened from a months-long renovation project that has doubled the seating. While the same vibe is still evident, it's a bit more polished in looks. I've mentioned my distaste for them previously, but have worked to overcome it.

Thankfully. While not everything was perfect (dry chicken breast on teh panzanella salad, flavourless swordfish), other dishes were extremely well done. The beef tenderloin was definitely worth the hefty price tag; the cornmeal crusted catfish was excellent, as was the accompanying jambalaya. And now I see that their meatloaf and mashed 'taters are justifiably famous. Save room for dessert, especially the warm pecan tart and rhubarb (and strawberry?) crumble.

Red Sky Cafe: I've been a fan for years, and the food is still consistent. Recently, Wes has begun doing a chef-on-the-go deal. He came to (my family's) cottage with all the ingredients, prepped dinner, served it to us, and cleaned it all up. Very fun, especially if it means avoiding the inevitable traffic tie-up down in Duck.

Metropolis: I really liked this the first year. The second year was a bit less exciting. This year, it was definitely, "meh". There were a few good things, but nothing mind blowing. I came out of there with the feeling like focus had been lost.

New on the radar: The Bad Bean Taqueria. I noticed the sign down in the shops across from Food Lion (where Grouper's is). Rumour has it the chef used to be at Left Bank, and finally decided to go off on his own. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to eat there this year.

That's all I got for ya!

You missed Meridian again. wow.

Dude, do not even get me started!

I've been very vocal for several years about wanting to go there, but between family, traffic, etc., it simply has not worked out.

I've recently been considering renting a boat and creeping up soundside. We'd avoid traffic, and hey, sailing is fun for the whole family, right?

*crossing fingers*