• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do I find GREAT selection of olive oils?

I REALLY need to get some GREAT olive oil....but I have not been able to find any stores that carry a REALLY good selection. I suspect that DiLaurenti will have a good selection but they will charge top dollar for them. I am looking for a place that will have the good ones... at reasonable prices.

My favorite is dark green, unfiltered..thick and rich Italian extra virgin oil with a peppery bite to it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

I REALLY need to get some GREAT olive oil....but I have not been able to find any stores that carry a REALLY good selection.  I suspect that DiLaurenti will have a good selection but they will charge top dollar for them.

"Great anything" and "charge top dollar" are a bit synonymous. :sad:

Try Spanish Table behind the market on Western. Start on the top floor for a tasting as they always have four bottles out across from the cheese counter.

Olive oil is like wine, you're going to have to spend a few bucks before you find something you like.

If you want to stretch olive oil, put it in a mister and spray the item to finish the dish before serving.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I'll do a plug (no I don't work for him) for Jim Dixon's olive oils. He has the creme de la creme of italian oils from peppery bite to buttery soft. And IMO, the prices are reasonable.

Jim Dixon's Olive Oils

Another place where there is REALLY super good oil, not very cheap: Oliviers & Co on the first floor in Pacific Place.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I too, love Italian extra virgin boutique olive oils... however, there is another option a fragrance and flavor that is sure to please: Turkish extra virgin olive oil.

Here's my favorite: The Olive Farm is a family owned business out of Portland, OR with a second store in Bellevue, WA and a great website offering the oil plus much more:

http://www.olivefarm.com/oliveoil.html

Two brothers run the US business while their parents live and work the farm in southeastern Turkey.

Really Nice...I have found that over the years in fancy stores...you can sometimes pay more for the same quality item you can find somewhere else. As I am new to this area I am sure there are places to find things I have not yet discovered. Olive oil is a good example. A few months ago before I moved...while looking for a particular oil ...I saw the same oil ,priced at $35 in a fancier store , going for $26 dollars in a little family Italian grocery. It depends where you shop and what you are looking for as to wheather you will needlessly pay more. I would rather not pay the rent on somebodies fancy shop if I can avoid it.

Sometimes you pay the price for something because THAT is the price...if you want that thing. Which is fine. I have been a fool for all kinds of pricey foods that cost what they cost....including some smashing olive oils.

But...at the moment I am looking for a good cooking oil ..not one to drizzle for finishing a dish. But still something really nice.

I've purchased some really good and really interesting olive oils from ChefShop. Their shop used to be on 15th Ave W in Seattle, but they've moved. They

let you taste just about everything that they have available.

Chefshop.com

305 9th Av N

Seattle, WA 98109 - 5122

(206) 286-9988

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

But...at the moment I am looking for a good cooking oil ..not one to drizzle for finishing a dish.  But still something really nice.

Perhaps you should consider canola oil. When you heat extra virgin olive oil (which I assume is what you mean by 'great olive oil'), it loses all its subtleties and nuances. The flavors break down from the heat. Or, you can avoid the cost of extra virgin olive oils and go with a lighter olive oil.

You may not want to finish a dish with a quality olive oil, but if you do, you'll end up with a greater EVO flavor profile in that item than you would eating something heated in EVO.

And give DiLaurenti's a chance. You might actually find something you value. There are some treasures in there. For example, while it's not olive oil, last week I found a 375ml bottle of 1996 Chateau d'Yquem for $129. Two other places have it for $205. I got mine at DiLaurenti's.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

CANOLA OIL? your kidding.... right?

I use extra virgin olive oil for cooking AND for finishing. The difference is for cooking I use a less costly oil in the $10 to 15 dollar range and for finishing I use a KILLER EVO in the $30 to 40 range...which makes the dishes sublime!

Canola oil? You have GOT to be kidding! I am shocked.

However the heat may degrade the olive oil there is still NO substitute for cooking with REALLY good olive oil when you are doing Italian food.

Even the years I spent in Greece I saw them boiling things in olive oil....even PASTA! The flavor it imparts to to food is fabulous.

Uh....so...NO canola oil for this Italian girl. My Italian grandmothers would come back from the dead to wack me over the head with their rolling pins.

I will indeed look into Dilaurenti again.

Thanks for your post.

Edited by OnlyTheBest (log)

Canola oil? You have GOT to be kidding! I am shocked.

Crisco?

:laugh:

Drink!

Big John's PFI (the retail arm of Pacific Food Importers) just south of the ID has a large selection from low to high price.

For cooking, I'm a big fan of Sagra, a combo of (let me go get the can)...

"select oils from Italy, Spain, Greece, and Tunisia." Packed in Italy. 19.95 for 3 liters.

And the best cheese/meat case for the money in town!

cg

"...plant a tree for Cesar"

--M.F.K. Fisher

You know what they say: Consider the source. I would consider Really Nice!'s advice to be quite sound. Nowhere do I see you refuting his statement that the subtleties and flavors diminish greatly with heat. I think that's a great point that should be addressed.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Excuse me Miss but if you read my post in response to his suggestion you will see I do address it.

LIKE I SAID...... however little the heat may degrade the flavor...it is STILL far better to use a good olive oil to cook in for the the flavor it imparts to the food.

I have never heard of real Italian food being cooked with anything but olive oil.

If it is your taste to use another oil to do so...then DO IT!

For me ...I find things like canola oil tasteless for Italian cooking.....but if you like it ...use it.

All I was asking in this post was where to find a good selection of olive oils...I was NOT asking for some kind of crude cooking lesson.

Thanks for your comments.

I wouldn't say that we're offering crude cooking advice as much as we are trying to answer your question about saving money on olive oil.

If you've never heard of real Italian food being cooked with anything but olive oil, then that's the price paid.

It's your money, spend it as you wish, but you're more likely to get the answer you want from this forum by avoiding text such as, "Excuse me Miss, LIKE I SAID......," or "I was NOT asking for some kind of crude cooking lesson."

:smile:

Drink!

It's your money, spend it as you wish, but you're more likely to get the answer you want from this forum by avoiding text such as, "Excuse me Miss, LIKE I SAID......," or "I was NOT asking for some kind of crude cooking lesson."

:smile:

Agreed. If newcomers want good, solid dining or cooking information, they should at least play nice. All I saw in this thread were a bunch of eGers trying to be helpful and providing decent advice. Geesh.

Personally, I cook everything in lard. heh heh heh :wink:

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Excuse me Miss but if you read my post in response to his suggestion you will see I do address it.

Not with any facts or descriptions.

And I was serious. I would actually like to know how much flavor degrades when olive oil is heated.

Now take a deep breath, double your dose, or whatever you need to calm down.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If you want something that will not degrade under moderate or even extremely high temperatures, try motor oil... something light... perhaps a 5w-30.

If you want your food to taste good... stick with olive oil.

---------------------------------------------

Ok, my conscience requires that I edit this post.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, COOK FOOD WITH MOTOR OIL!

I REPEAT...

DO NOT COOK WITH MOTOR OIL!

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

If you want something that will not degrade under moderate or even extremely high temperatures, try motor oil... something light... perhaps a 5w-30.

I prefer a heavier grade. It tends to add a bit more color for the deep-glaze look.

:biggrin:

Drink!

WHAT on EARTH are you all talking about?

I cook Italian food with ONLY olive oil... I use lard and criso and all the other lipids for OTHER things!

I made this post about WHERE to find good olive oil ...NOT for some assine advice about using crisco or whatever to cook Italian food with.

If I wanted cooking advice I would have asked for it...now this discussion has degenerated to this. AND FOR NO REASON!

And as far as the oil losing some flavor ...it does a little but as I SAID!..it is still better to cook with it for the flavor it imparts the food!

If you don't use olive oil to cook Italian food that is YOUR business!

And don't tell me I am missing out by not using canola oil to cook it with.

When I was a teenager and didn't know any better I used whatever oil was handy...then I was shown and was taught the proper way to cook Italian food...using olive oil.

So...if you think that's all wrong then go talk to Mario Batalli about it.

It is certainly YOUR CHOICE!

ALL the fats have their place...even lard. BUT... when cooking MOST of the foods of my family... we use olive oil.

I am talking ONLY about Italian food here...and maybe Greek.

IT IS my CHOICE!

I am 100% Italian....first generation...and THAT'S how we cook.

If you want to change it around it is YOUR kitchen...and YOUR business.