• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saco, Maine farmer's market

Lettuce and radishes are still barely available hereabouts, but I found...

Live trout!

A farmer from Hollis was selling them out of giant coolers in the back of his pickup. Mine was still flopping when I got it home. Nice breakfast, sauteed in a little butter and EVOO.

Hey there K,

Where is this place??? Did the trout man define which days he comes down? Sounds like a great idea. People are catching stripers like crazy at the mouth of the Saco river and Higgins Beach I hear. Could be a good year!

Johnnyd

S. Portland

add: The local pea harvest is underway. They are incredibly delicious. Don't miss out, it's fleeting.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I saw them picking peas on my bike ride the other day and my mouth started salivating especially now that I am thinking of them with trout. My SO caught a beautiful striper the other week and let me tell you roasted up with some fennel herbs olive oil and other select seasonings it was tasty!!!

S

also in S Portland

The farmer's market in Saco is Behind Shaw's, which is on Scammon Street proper, but thanks to the demolition of the old Ames in the same plaza, you need to enter from Spring Street, which is also Route 5 at that point.

So if you're heading south on Route 1, take a right at the 1st traffic light just before downtown (new church on the left), turn right immediately again, go up North Street a few blocks to Spring Street, and take a left. It's in the second block, entrance on the left.

I saw him again today. Not sure if he shows up for the Wednesday morning market, as I'm in Portland at that time.

Excellent directions, thank you K! :smile:

KeysToVt: The bakery/Pastry place in Willard Square I PM'd you about is another One-Fifty-Eight creation it seems, who are getting some wholseale biz now. I thought it might be the result of your efforts this spring. How are things going (besides eating awesome, fresh striper) on that front?

The shedder lobsters that are being sold locally are from downeast. My guys say they haven't seen any in their traps around here yet. Odd for this time of year, eh? Cold water still: 58.F is their reason.

JohnnyD

:cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com