• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Japanese restaurant in hackettstown!

BeaChambers

We haven't found any outstanding restaurants (our opinion only) in the Hackettstown/Port Murray area of NJ. A new Japanese restaurant opened on Rt. 57 so we gave it a try, expecting something ordinary but acceptable. WOW! Some of the freshest fish we have had in NJ. This restaurant is a find, partly because it is so good, and partly because there isn't much else. IF anybody finds themselves in this neck of the woods of NJ, don't miss it.

Hi Rosie!

Bea :biggrin:

Bea---NJ

Fujiyama

1954 Rt. 57 (across from Shoprite)

Hackettstown, NJ 07840

908 850-9400 Phone

908 850-1801 Fax

Open for lunch Mon - Fri

Open on Sat at 11:30 but you order a la carte or dinner menu

Open 7 days for dinner.

The owner tells me a new menu is forthcoming, within a month. I don't know if enough people come to Fujiyama to keep it open but John and I are going as often as we can. We are usually in this area once a week.

Bea

Bea---NJ

I have eaten there twice and gotten take out once. Each time the food was very good. The portions are good and the prices are very reasonable. I encourage you to give them a try if your're ever in the area. They are located diagonaly accross from the Mansfield Shoprite.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone of Japanese descent who has recently moved to Morris County, I can say with confidence that this is one of the best sushi restaurants in this area. We tried many others and were either not impressed or just plain disappointed.

Here, they serve bluefin tuna without us even making the request (standard is yellowfin and many places in this area didnt even know what we were talking about). The sushi chef knows how to make nigiri sushi, maki, and they have great Japanese knife skills.

We were so impressed that we asked to compliment the owner who came and talked to us. He told us the history- he used to own a restaurant by the WTC but had to close it down after 9/11. His same sushi chefs STILL go to Fulton Fish Market 7 days a week though. Like most Japanese restaurants in Morris County, the owner is not Japanese, but his sushi chefs either are or were trained in the traditional Japanese style.

Highly recommend if you love sushi and appreciate excellent fish and beautiful cuts and rolls. It is also a very understated and pretty place.

Last Sunday, my family I happened to be in Hackettstown to pick peaches at a PYO farm (Tree-licious Orchards). Right before I left the house, I read this thread and printed it out in case we needed to find a good restaurant. I must say, this place is excellent. The service is great, and the fish is very fresh. I'd go every week, but the hour and a half drive from Brooklyn to Hackettstown is a bit too much. :P

We ordered a big ol' sushi and sashimi platter. Pictures follow.

Fujiyama1.jpg

Fujiyama.jpg

Fujiyama2.jpg

Since I work in Hackettstown, I just had to give it a try for lunch today and I agree -- terrific! I had sushi last night so I decided to try the Bi Bim Bop (actually, a Korean dish) which I had last had at a great Korean place in Vancouver, and this was equally good. Only $7.95 for lunch and that include soup! Such a deal! Very nice service -- quiet enough for a semi-business lunch. If you are out here in the "boonies", definitely give it a try!