• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a Beef Loin

NulloModo

I will say I thought the applewood was a bit overpowering in flavour.  Next time I'd go hickory or even mesquite for beef.  But this was tender, juicy and rare right to the edges.  It was awesome.  We've sliced some of the leftovers nice and thin for sandwiches.  But we still had a ton left over, so I took the half roast that was left and froze it.  I don't suppose anyone knows if cooked prime rib freezes well?

Anyone want some leftovers?

Yes, Marlene, this was a most worthy way to cook a roast, wasn't it?

I've never smoked with anything but hickory, but I think that applewood is probably milder. Perhaps cut back on the amount of wood or remove the wood sometime during the cooking process?

Boy, that was one mighty tasty roast. I had more crunch around the edges, but my roast had much less of a fat cap, and in the last little bit, I did goose up the heat because I struggled so to get the temp anywhere above 200, and perhaps that last blast of heat (I was at 105 when I gave it the blast, and got the temp up to 300) did the trick?

Time to go eat some leftovers!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Susan and Marlene- Both of these roasts look scrumptious!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Susan & Marlene:

It was gratifying to share your results. Almost like a invitation to Spring.

I look forward to enjoying your future attempts, please be sure to schedule events for the same days. Ummmm, Pork, Briskets or even Triangles or Poultry it should all be delicious.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I will say I thought the applewood was a bit overpowering in flavour.  Next time I'd go hickory or even mesquite for beef.  But this was tender, juicy and rare right to the edges.  It was awesome.  We've sliced some of the leftovers nice and thin for sandwiches.  But we still had a ton left over, so I took the half roast that was left and froze it.  I don't suppose anyone knows if cooked prime rib freezes well?

Anyone want some leftovers?

Yes, Marlene, this was a most worthy way to cook a roast, wasn't it?

I've never smoked with anything but hickory, but I think that applewood is probably milder. Perhaps cut back on the amount of wood or remove the wood sometime during the cooking process?

Boy, that was one mighty tasty roast. I had more crunch around the edges, but my roast had much less of a fat cap, and in the last little bit, I did goose up the heat because I struggled so to get the temp anywhere above 200, and perhaps that last blast of heat (I was at 105 when I gave it the blast, and got the temp up to 300) did the trick?

Time to go eat some leftovers!

We used apple chips actually and I used a lot less of them than I did for the pork shoulder we smoked a few weeks ago. And my temp ran around 238 the entire time so I wouldnt think your last blast made the difference to crunch, but who knows?

Roast beef sammys with horseradish for lunch today! In fact, I have enough roast beef to make sandwiches for the neighbourhood. :rolleyes:

Susan & Marlene:

It was gratifying to share your results. Almost like a invitation to Spring.

I look forward to enjoying your future attempts, please be sure to schedule events for the same days. Ummmm, Pork, Briskets or even Triangles or Poultry it should all be delicious.

Irwin

I'm pretty sure we've agreed to do ribs next or maybe a turkey. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Roast beef sammys with horseradish for lunch today!  In fact, I have enough roast beef to make sandwiches for the neighbourhood. :rolleyes:

Boy, I wish I was in your neighborhood :sad:. Nothing better than a good rare roast beef sammich. Great job, both of you. Beautiful, beautiful roasts.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

A triumph for long slow low temperature cooking..

You can do the same but without the smoke for wonderful roast beef

Interestingly enough, this roast wasn't on any longer than it would have been had I cooked it in my oven at my regular 325 convection. So I don't know that this was low and slow particularly. Yes the temp was lower than my regular oven, by about 50 degrees or so, but the calculation and time was the same, 23 minutes per pound for a total of three hours. Either way.

Marlene

We'd love to have you smoking along with us Mike! If we don't get to it this weekend, it will be a couple of weeks before I'll get to it since I leave on Sunday for a week's vacation. But I think ribs would be a great next project. In fact, my husband's insisting on ribs. If I can find some decent ribs, maybe this Saturday!

Marlene

One idea, Marlene, if you want to reduce the amount of smoke it to add the wood chips after the meat has been on the smoker for let's say, 45 minutes. This might work!

That might work. Let's do ribs when I get back from vacation, so say either the weekend of the 18/19 or the one after that?

Marlene

I am enjoying this thread enough to start feeling like it could now be changed to the"

eGullet evolution of new "Pitmasters" for slow cooking, smoking by "Susan" and "Marlene" the enthusiasm is contagious and it can be something shared by everyone.

Just think about getting invited to share together in your neighborhood the results of this development. Guaranteed "No Left Overs", guess that won't work cause it better next day. It's the thoughts that count.

The new "Low Collagen Diet" !

Irwin :biggrin::biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

That might work.  Let's do ribs when I get back from vacation, so say either the weekend of the 18/19 or the one after that?

The weekend of the 18/19 will preclude smoking on Saturday (volleyball) but not Sunday. The following weekend is free. But, if we do ribs, we need to move to the Smoking Ribs topic. Read up Marlene, and plan on spare, not baby back, ribs. Trust me.

The Sunday is fine. I'll read up. Promise. Maybe we should have a Susan and Marlene smoke topic? :biggrin: Group smoke?

Marlene