• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Rums

Ed Hamilton

I saw a bottle of 'Chauffe-Coeur' white rum from Martinique at High Time Wine in Costa Mesa ( near Newport Beach CA. ) the other day. It is labeled as being aged for 4 years. I didn't purchase it as I got the 7 year dark instead...very tasty !

I saw a bottle of 'Chauffe-Coeur' white rum from Martinique at High Time Wine in Costa Mesa ( near Newport Beach CA. ) the other day. It is labeled as being aged for 4 years.  I didn't purchase it as I got the 7 year dark instead...very tasty !

Does the label say it is made in Martinique or does it say product of France on the label? If it was made in Martinique and is aged 4 years it wouldn't be white as none of the French distillers age and then carbon filter their rums. But if the product is bottled in France there's no telling where it came from or what is actually in the bottle.

I've seen some rums that have the word Martinique in the label name with a Appelation Rum Controllee designation which doesn't exist in France.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I think you have nailed it Ed. I thought 4 yrs was rather a long time. As far as Martinque or France, it says both ! The lable reads ( this is the 7 yr dark )

" Chauffe-Coeur "

RUM

Appellation Rhum Controlee

Martinque

Agricole

Dark Rum

Aged over 7 years in oak casks

Produced in Martinque

750ml 47% ALC by vol.

Produced and bottled in France

By Chais Chauffe-Coeur

E. Laborie, Le Costil Rouge F14340

Whatever the origin of this rum, it is certainly top notch...compares favorably with the 'real stuff' I brought home from St. Martin last year....Pere Labat, Trois Rivieres, Damoiseau, Montebello, J Bally, Saint James...Quite a haul !!

I'd post a photo...if I knew how ! I will post some photos in an album.

Produced and bottled in France could mean Martinique but if it was produced in Martinique they would probably tell you. That rum could be made in any of the French territories including Guadeloupe and French Guyana.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Can you give us any names? Are they a mixture of styles and premium?

2 new premium white rums that have been launched here in Europe are BAQUBA, a blend of Caribean rums aged for up to 5 years then charcoal filtered. Its the only rum in the world bottled in an ALUMINUM bottle. The 2nd rum is Elements 8, a four year old charcoal filtered rum from St. Lucia. The packaging is great and the rums not bad too. Both rums are to be marketed as super premium, similar to 10 Cane. Don't know when they will reach the states but as soon as they tell me I will post it to let you all know.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

Call me crazy but the last thing I want to drink is a rum that has been bottled in an aluminum container.

I'll send you a sample bottle, once i get hold of some

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

• 2 months later...
Call me crazy but the last thing I want to drink is a rum that has been bottled in an aluminum container.

I'll send you a sample bottle, once i get hold of some

Buy it at Gall & Gall you can get it there.

Mount Gay Sugar Cane Brandy is not the same as their white Reserve Rum. I haven't tasted the Reserve for a few years after I made a special trip back to a liquor store in Antigua to buy a bottle because I didn't have enough money in my pocket at the time to buy another bottle of rum and the other things that I had to have.

Frankly, I was very disappointed and although I have since seen this rum in the US since, I haven't had the desire to spend more money on something that I thought should have been discontinued many years ago. According to my liquor store friends it isn't flying off the shelves so you might find it around for a while. My guess is that if it isn't discontinued, it should be. On the other hand, Mount Gay used to make a very good white rum called Mount Gay Premium White Rum, which was far better than the Reserve White.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

There is a one page feature on 10 Cane in this month's Gourmet magazine.  Reading it, I was interested to discover that they don't burn the cane fields before harvesting.  I guess, they just cut them green and press.

Only a smalll part of the sugar cane in the Eastern Caribbean is burned before being cut. Environmentally it's a mess for everything downwind from the cane field. Trinidad used to burn some of the cane before the sugar industry went broke and closed.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 4 months later...

Is there a available-in-the-US substitue for Havana Club Blanco?

Every time I go to Mexico, I pick up a couple bottles of Havana Club Blanco. It costs 8 bucks and it is the best I have tried for mojitos, daquiris and the like. Now, supposing I HAD to substitute (with something non-Cuban), what could I use that would be similar?

I have never had the pleasure of trying the Flor de Caña, Brugal or Barcelo whites. I have tried Appleton's and thought, compared to the Havana at least, it tasted like rubbing alcohol.

Is there a available-in-the-US substitue for Havana Club Blanco?

[...]

I have never had the pleasure of trying the Flor de Caña, Brugal or Barcelo whites.  I have tried Appleton's and thought, compared to the Havana at least, it tasted like rubbing alcohol.

I haven't had the HC Blanco, Brugal, or Barcelo white rums.

I have tried both the Flor de Cana Extra Dry and Appleton White. I like the Flor de Cana Extra Dry a lot more. It's decently priced, usually around $10-$15 here in CA. Smooth, with good Rum character. Not much funk or "rubbing alcohol" smell/flavor. It's a really good light mixing rum.

I've also had the Montecristo White Rum in a cocktail and thought that it was pretty good. I've only had it in a bar, so I'm not sure where it falls price-wise.

Looking at the Montecristo website, I just discovered that Montecristo is a cane juice based or Agricultural rum from Guatamala. I wasn't aware of that. I don't remember getting a lot of rhum agricole type funk from that daiquiri.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Actually Montecristo is made from sugar cane syrup and not fresh juice and is distilled to about 92% alcohol making it a nice white rum.

Oh, interesting!

I didn't even know there was a third category of rum made from cane syrup!

So, rhum agricole is made from fresh juice, most rums are made from molasses, and then some other rums are made from Sugar Cane Syrup. Is that right? Are there many others made from Sugar Cane Syrup?

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I guess I do find the Montecristo website a bit mis-leading, then.

Montecristo Rum is “agricultural rum” made from

all natural, hand-harvested, pure sugarcane juice, not molasses.

It is remarkably smooth, the result of Montecristo’s unique aging process, which uses American oak bourbon barrels.

Montecristo Rum is a premium spirit obtained by distilling fermented sugarcane juice, a by-product of sugar.

Montecristo Rum 101

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 10 months later...

I was at my local liquor store yesterday and saw that they had the Martinique Rhum Clement Premiere Canne on sale for $12.99/bottle. This seems like an awesome price, but I haven't tasted it. Should I pick up a few bottles? They said, when it's gone, it's gone. What is the general consensus about Clement's whole line?

Also, I've been thinking about special ordering a bottle of the Montecristo 12-year. Is it worth the hassle of the special order? I'm in Houston and am able to shop at a place called Spec's. They have an incredible selection of rum in stock already. I hate having to special order things...

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?bod...Liquors|240|RUM

Thanks for the help!

Does seem like a great price for that Rhum.

It is an unaged Rhum Agricole, though, so it can't really be subbed in to cocktails where white rum is called for without some consideration.

I've not tried it personally; but, as a white rhum agricole, the Clement is a little on the flaccid side, proof-wise.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was at my local liquor store yesterday and saw that they had the Martinique Rhum Clement Premiere Canne on sale for $12.99/bottle.  This seems like an awesome price, but I haven't tasted it.  Should I pick up a few bottles?  They said, when it's gone, it's gone.  What is the general consensus about Clement's whole line?

Also, I've been thinking about special ordering a bottle of the Montecristo 12-year.  Is it worth the hassle of the special order?  I'm in Houston and am able to shop at a place called Spec's.  They have an incredible selection of rum in stock already.  I hate having to special order things...

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?bod...Liquors|240|RUM

Thanks for the help!

clement premiere canne here is about 30 a bottle. i love their creole shrub. their amber is boring relative to the price... the "homer" and XO are beautiful stuff but very pricey. i think the premiere shows some fun terrior, if i saw it at that price which is bacardi money i'd pick some up. try it in a "ti punch"

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Oh, and, lack of tumescence aside, Clement is a very well regarded Rhum Agricole. At $12 a bottle, I'd probably buy a case.

Though, maybe just get one first, to make sure you actually like White Rhum Agricoles.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 4 years later...