• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in a box

mamster

The last issue of Gourmet, I think, had a blurb about better wines in a box, something I also remember Frank Prial writing about a few months ago. I looked at my local QFC, but they only had the usual Franzia and Almaden. Anyone know where I can buy such a thing in Seattle? This seems like the ultimate solution for cooking wine: good enough to cook with, cheap, and stays good for months in the fridge because the wine has no access to light or air.

I am not too proud to walk into a wine shop and ask for wine in a box, but I don't know where to start. Larry's, maybe? Anyone have a brand they can recommend? I don't remember the name of the one featured in Gourmet.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I tried the wine in a box from Tefft last week, and I thought it was very good. I'm by no means a wine expert though. Their website is here:

http://www.tefftcellars.com/index.html

It's $20 for 4 liters, so a little more expensive than most box wine. You can probably call and see if they sell it anywhere in Seattle, and it looks like they also have online ordering.

Edited by laurel (log)

I am not too proud to walk into a wine shop and ask for wine in a box, but I don't know where to start.

I have a friend in the wine business who has been saying for years that the components used to store wine in a box have a better capability to safely age wine than Lafite Rothschild. :laugh:

Fine Wines and Cigars in Redmond Town Center has a few, the only name I can recall is Australian Hardy's. It's about $17 a box. I'm not sure what size the container is.

With New Zealand and Australia leading the world in looking for a noncork solution to packaging wine, I think we'll be seeing more quality wines coming in a box in the near future.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Just a side note on storing wine for cooking, since this seems to be Mamster's goal: the freezer is a great tool. Wine that is to be used in cooking doesn't suffer from being frozen. I have a bunch of little Zip-Loc bags in my freezer full of leftover bits of red and white wines. I rarely need to buy wine specifically for cooking, because those last few ounces in so many bottles tend to supply all my needs.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks, folks. That should get me started. It also occurred to me to check the state liquor store inventory, but they seem to have only Vella and Franzia.

I'll call a few wine shops in town tomorrow.

A week or two ago at the Seward Park PCC they had a box that looked interesting ...I don't recall the name, but I seem to recall that it was a Pays D'oc...the buyer's write-up said that it was suprisingly good.

I've been meaning to pick one up...I'll report back...

cg

"...plant a tree for Cesar"

--M.F.K. Fisher

I'm not sure what size the container is.

Let us know if we're beating this topic to death now that you have your information. :laugh:

The Hardy's box is 3 liters, (equal to 4 750ml bottles). Whole foods on Roosevelt also has it for $16.99.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 2 weeks later...

FG, I've been freezing wine in ice cube trays, and it works fine, but the idea of being able to dispense whenever I want, as if my fridge had a built-in wine dispensing spigot, is just too alluring to pass up. Also, there is too much crap in bags in my freezer already.

If someone would invent really good chicken stock in a box, I'd be all set. Also a bacon dispenser.

Update: I think Delicato was the maker mentioned.

delicato is some really really really inexpensive wine. i've seen the ads for the boxes, and i've been tempted. but my friends and i bust my friend's father's chops so much for bringing the bottled delicato to every party i have that i can't bring myself to get the box.

if someone tells me the wine isn't as horrible as i think i might reconsider. mamster, i think you're just the man test it.

I haven't read Gourmet in months, but I know I saw this article. I think it was either Fine Cooking or Cook's Illustrated, but I can't find the article on either of their sites.

If we're having a taste-off, I'm game. :)

The article writers tried at least a few of the wines in both their box and bottle packages, and said there wasn't much quality difference. One quote was something like "I can tell these two wines are different, but neither is better."

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Found it!

Real Simple August '04 issue, page 64:

"A panel of 8 people -- wine experts and nonexperts alike -- convened to taste boxed wines produced by the most widely-distributed brands."

Panel's picks, all 3-liter boxes.

- '02 Banrock Station Cabernet Sauvignon ($16) "BEST"

- '01 Black Box Sonoma County Merlot ($32)

- '02 Delicato Chardonnay ($17.50)

- '02 The Wine Cube (Target/Andrea Immer) Pinot Grigio ($16)

The aforementioned bottle-to-box comparo was done with the Delicato, Banrock above, plus '02 Hardys Chard, '02 Delicato Merlot, '02 Hardys Cab, and '02 Banrock Shiraz.

The quote was actually "I can say that these are different, but I can't say which one is better." (I was close, she said sheepishly...)

It's an interesting read, with some basics on the history, technology, future trends, debunking of shelf-life guidelines, and a few well-tuned sidebars, including a sangria recipe.

I do think it would be fun to have a taste-off of any of the boxes we can get our hands on locally.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com