• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Hot Spots

What are your favorite Italian places?  Here are two of mine:

In the formal category, I LOVE Tulio (Vintage Park Hotel, 1100 5th Ave).  Top to bottom, I have never had a disappointing meal there.  The appetizers are fantastic:  sweet potato gnocci with marscapone and sage, a bundle of asparagus wrapped in proscuitto.  Service is also excellent.

In the neighboorhood bistro category, Salvatore's (61st & Roosevelt) is amazing.  I've been there probably 25 times.  The menu is fine (get the grilled mussell appetizer), but the 5 daily specials are where it's at.  Tremendous veal and chicken dishes.

I've mentioned Osteria La Spiga enough times.

La Rustica in West Seattle is a longtime favorite, and while it's no secret, I'm surprised at how many people haven't tried it, maybe because it's all the way around the point.

A while back I reviewed Ciao Bella Too, a little further up Roosevelt, and not everything was great but I enjoyed the over-the-top experience, and the pastas are rich and good.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Hey Mr. Vigs, I totally agree with your words about Tulio's, which is a really reliably good restaurant. I don't know why the local food press hasn't made Walter Pisano more of a media darling. Or maybe it's a good thing they haven't :)

I'd like to add Assaggio to the list too (206-441-1399; 2010 Fourth.. across the street and a few doors up from the Dahlia Lounge). I've only been once or twice since Don Curtiss left for Prego (in the Madison Renaissance Hotel). They've got a braised lamb shank that I've actually had dreams about.

For the Italian restaurants I'd most like to try, but haven't yet, I'd vote for:

1) Mamster's fave, Osteria La Spiga AND

2) Bizarro (I think that's what it's called.) PapaChef (I think) recommended this restaurant to me once. PapaChef, tell us more!

Can't wait to read what else you all will recommend :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I second La Rustica in W. Seattle on Beach Drive.   I also really like gourmet dining at Tosoni's in Bellevue,  although it's more 'continental',  than traditional Italian.  The ambiance is also nice, once you get inside.   Il Terrazo Carmine was great the last time I was there.  For casual spicy full flavored (garlicky) Italian fare, we had a good meal at The Beach House Cafe on Alki Beach in W. Seattle.  

I haven't been to Bizarro yet either.  It's in Wallingford on kind of a back street.  Do you know if it's kid friendly?  I have some Wallingford friends with a couple of 1-year-olds and we're always looking for baby-approved places to take them.  (We go to the 5-Spot a lot.)

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

And I still haven't tried Tosoni's yet. It is now on my to-eat list :)

Mamster, just looking inside Bizarro once (it was too busy to get a table), I think it would be really welcoming for kids. At least it has the elements of a kid-friendly place. For 1-year-olds, the telling point would be whether they have high chairs. Never attempt to eat at a restaurant with a baby without a high chair. It's ugly.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss his post? I definitely recommend Bizarro for the overall fun experience. Ciao Bell Too is now Marcello and one my cooks loves the place. It looks the same to me though.

I truly love Tosonis and I have it on my list of faves. Walter Wachler is a great chef and the way non-menu items just become available is awesome. His sausage sampler or schnitzel (both if available) are awesome.

Salvatore is my neighbor and they put out a fine product and have fantastic service. Of course Il Terrazo Carmine is always solid for me.

• 3 weeks later...