• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dick's

I need a break from Italian, Japanese, and French cuisine, I need a good hamburger!

Ok folks, don't hate me for this post but I've got to know how Dick's drive-in does their hamburgers (Daily's are pretty good too).

I used to live in Seattle, but since I moved out of city I can't fulfill my hamburger cravings so I've been trying to recreate Dick's burgers.

I have the frenchfries down solid (even better than Dick's) but the burgers remain elusive. It's the bun texture in combination with the other textures that is is difficult to pin down.

Come on you Seattle foodies, one of you must have worked Dick's while going to the UW!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

NO DOUBT...

I am sure that they make that "special sauce" with crack... :laugh:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Definitely, I have several recipe's for gourmet burgers and they all blow away Dick's burgers (Japanese style deep fried burgers with a special wasabi sauce are a specialty), but Dick's burgers are one of my few junk food vices that I get an occasional serious hankering for (come on, you know you have a fast food favorite: Spud's fish and chips, Red-Mill burgers, Zeek's Pizza, etc).

"Grease is the word" (at least for this thread)

Ahh yes... the people watching aspect of hanging out at Dick's is a very important part of the experience.

I agree, the fries are rather limp, but on occasion you'll come accross a batch that is actually crispy.

I think the key to the Dick's cheeseburger is that it is essentially a grilled cheese sandwich with a thin patty of meat in the middle. I'm not sure I've had another fast food burger that uses such a high cheese to meat ratio.

I've tried the special and the deluxe, but the extraneous toppings detract from the balanced trio of cheese, meat, and bun on the standard cheeseburger.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Wouldn't you agree that the texture of these burgers are quite unique? I find the combination of textures and flavors to be quite exquisite (I agree, the cheese burger is quite simply the simple, yet satisfying, favorite).

if there's any one thing I have a guilty pleasure about at Dick's, its the fries. Yes, greasy, sometimes (most times?) limp, they are frightening cold. But hot out of the fryer, I'll eat 'em. Damn near anytime of the day or night. But the burgers are a leave behind for me.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Really? You prefer the fries over the burgers? I have to admit, the fries are great with some tartar sauce when they are fresh out of the frier, but the Deluxe? come on.

Pass on the burger. Pass on the fries. Bring on the SHAKES!! :cool:

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I don't know what it is about the Deluxe. The toasted roll, the sauce, the combination...it is always a tasty treat for me.

Yeah, the shakes are great, too, but for sheer decadence, try the hot fudge sundae. Inexpensive and delicious! :biggrin:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

My guilty pleasure meal is two Deluxes and a vanilla shake. Can't stand the fries though....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Really? You prefer the fries over the burgers? I have to admit, the fries are great with some tartar sauce when they are fresh out of the frier, but the Deluxe? come on.

yep, absolutely. I've always thought Daly's burgers are WAY better. But Daly's fries are uninspired.

Had a great burger & fries at the Roanoke Inn on Mercer Island this holiday weekend :raz:

Miss the old Green Lake Jake's for killer burgers AND fries to match.

Born Free, Now Expensive

They are more of the "pub food - diner food" variety, than fast food. Part of it for me is the Roanoke itself. I just love sitting out in their back yard soaking up some sun, kickin' back with a beer... a burger & fries are necessary in that setting!

Born Free, Now Expensive

They are more of the "pub food - diner food" variety, than fast food. Part of it for me is the Roanoke itself. I just love sitting out in their back yard soaking up some sun, kickin' back with a beer... a burger & fries are necessary in that setting!

Damnit malarkey! You're NOT supposed to be giving away the secret of the Roanoke Inn :biggrin:

I already have a hard time finding parking when I want to go there after work....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Well tighe, you just made me want to visit this place all the more! ; )

Do you two enjoy Red Mill? I usually don't order burgers with chicken in them but I have to admit, the chicken club is pretty damned good!

Edited by dougery (log)

Do you two enjoy Red Mill? I usually don't order burgers with chicken in them but I have to admit, the chicken club is pretty damned good!

Never been actually. Anything north of the ship canal might as well be in Bellingham.... :wink:

Tighe, get your hide to Red Mill. The bacon stack alone is worth the trip.

If I am carting around a bunch of drunks on the weekend evening/early morning, dicks is the place.

Me = Two cheeseburgers and maybe a chocolate shake

Katie = One Deluxe and a peppermit sundae w/ hot fudge.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Well tighe, you just made me want to visit this place all the more! ; )

I do, my fave is the green chile burger.

Born Free, Now Expensive