• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2004 Greenmarkets

bloviatrix

I've noticed they are selling red okra at the USquare greenmarket. Anyone ever heard of it before or tried it before? This is in addition to green okra, which I find mystifying enough by itself!

I saw the red okra last week. Since okra has yet to enter my repetoire, I just thought it would mae a nice centerpiece. :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm off to Union Square in bit.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hmmmm, I really wanted to pick up some golden beets. But it seems that Paffenroth, who I believe are the only ones who sell them, isn't at the market on monday. :sad:

So, I came home with a gorgeous eggplant and zukes for rattatouille, edamame :wub:, pears, a very large cantaloupe, sungold tomatoes, and niagra grapes (which taste like concord grapes, only green).

By the way, Eckerton Hill Farms is at Union Square on monday. They had really nice tomatoes and pepper assortments.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

i might be wrong, but for beeswax, trying a rastafarian haridressers, i believe beeswax is best for dreadlocks!!!

Thanks, I eventually got the beeswax, although I still haven't gotten around to the caneles. Hmmm....

I was happy to see the downtown market up and running today (Tuesday). I got some bartlett pears, tomatillos and cilantro at Migliorelli, and some apples (something "Crisp" apples) from another stand.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

IMHO, the peppers are particularly beautiful this year. Lots of multi-colored ones available -- purple/green, red/yellow, red/green. Very autumnal.

I'm in total agreement with you. Several years ago I bought a large assortment of them and used them as my Rosh Hashanah centerpiece. I've actually considered doing it again this year since the colors are so striking. Blovie has been informed that he will be making a trip to Union Square tomorrow for raspberries (2 pints/$5 at Phillips Farms) so maybe I'll ask for peppers as well.

Another market day when I was stuck inside. :sad: Come Thursday, I plan to load up on peppers to roast and saute, if they are as nice as y'all are saying.

Last Thursday at WTC, HWOE got some McIntosh from (I think) Samoscott -- they were the best Macs we've had in ages: crunchy, sweet/tart. Heaven. Reminded me why they used to be my favorite apple.

Everything -- I repeat, everything -- looked amazing at 47th St. today, but note that it won't be open next week due to the U.N. General Assembly.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

At Union Sq this morning:

Lovely apple turnovers

Lemon Pound cake

Very early season porcini mushrooms (big smile!)

little strawberries

virginal flush white peaches

caribbean bouquet of all kinds of chili peppers

zinnias

whole chicken

acorn squash

way too expensive salad greens

and Cuban oregano

Anybody know anything about Cuban oregano?? I'm looking for a jerk recipe if anyone has one.

And I saw what must be the first chestnuts of the season...means summer is really and truly gone.

Happy New Year - Rosh Hoshanna!

At Union Sq this morning:

Very early season porcini mushrooms (big smile!)

Hey, Hathor, how much for the porcinis? I recently went looking for fresh porcini, only to find them at Whole Foods for $30 a pound. (I didn't buy them.)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Ooooh, fresh porcini!!!! You have Paula Wolfert's new recipe that uses them, right? Didn't you also test that one? If not, I'll email it to you; just wonderful!

[edit to add: I got confused; SethG is the one who also has that recipe; Hathor, if you want it, let me know. FWIW, I got fresh porcini at Manhattan Fruit Exchange, in Chelsea Market, for a reasonable price.]

Today at WTC:

Italian prune plums (before I miss the season)

Ginger Gold apples

McIntosh apples -- Conklin's reminded me why I used to love them!

Beets: golden, candy cane, white, and regular

Arugula

Lettuces (not sure which; HWOE picked and dealt with)

Basil

Cranberry beans

Okra

Kirbies

Bell peppers: red, yellow, green

Brussels sprouts!!!!!

Peaches

Tomatoes

Yellow plum tomatoes

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Hey, Hathor, how much for the porcinis?  I recently went looking for fresh porcini, only to find them at Whole Foods for $30 a pound.  (I didn't buy them.)

I don't remember how much...about $3.00 for 6 small porcini. However! I went to use them last night...and all these white worms came out them. BLECH!! :wacko: So I pitched them all in the trash. Oh well. :sad:

Is that normal???? (I've never seen that when I've used fresh porcini in Italy...)

Alas yes, that's fairly normal here. I had the little white wiggly guys in the ones I bought in Chelsea Market. Some I cut out; others, I waited until they tried to escape from the frying pan, and scooped them out then. At worst, you can skim them off the top of the sauce. Gross, yes, but no real harm.

The dried ones I brought back from Rome many years ago had dormant larvae; they woke up when I got them home. Had to freeze the mothers to knock them out, and even so, I was picking stuff out of my cooking until I used them up. Just unwanted extra protein. :laugh:

But I must say that I've gotten so used to the stronger flavor of dried, I found fresh to be kind of wimpy.

Had a nice time at the Union Square market on Saturday, despite getting there late and putting up with some heavy wind.

Bought some aged goat cheese with green peppercorns from coach farm. Served it with a couple of varieties of heirloom tomatoes (wild cherry, small green). Bought buttermilk and some nice fromage blanc from one of the vendors on the southwest corner of the park (nice lady and her daughter, not sure of the name). Other than that, mainly fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, etc.) and basic veggies (beets, onions, garlic, shallots, etc.) Lastly, bought a large jar of Dark Amber A maple syrup. Was disappointed that Ronnybrook had already left by the time I arrived (around 4-4:30pm), but was to be expected.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Alas yes, that's fairly normal here. I had the little white wiggly guys in the ones I bought in Chelsea Market. Some I cut out; others, I waited until they tried to escape from the frying pan, and scooped them out then. At worst, you can skim them off the top of the sauce. Gross, yes, but no real harm.

The dried ones I brought back from Rome many years ago had dormant larvae; they woke up when I got them home. Had to freeze the mothers to knock them out, and even so, I was picking stuff out of my cooking until I used them up.  Just unwanted extra protein.  :laugh:

But I must say that I've gotten so used to the stronger flavor of dried, I found fresh to be kind of wimpy.

You are a braver man than I!!! I just don't dig worms....

As far as the dried v. fresh: sometimes I like one...sometimes I like the other. Depends on what I'm making.

Today, HWOE went on his own, and brought back salad stuff (lettuces, pepper, red and yellow tomatoes, red, green and yellow peppers) and Macoun apples. Oh: and cider from Samascott. Lovely stuff: quite tart, very apple-y.

Macouns I don't know. The sign on them supposedly said "tart and crisp" but is that true?

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Macouns I don't know. The sign on them supposedly said "tart and crisp" but is that true?

According to my apple chart the macoun has a "somewhat squat shape; dull red skin, coated with a natural film often mistaken for added wax. Crackly, semi-tart, very crisp and tangy.

Just my .02, but the macoun is the best eating apple I've ever had. Unfortunately, the season only runs about a month, so you have to get them while they're around, and they don't store well at all.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I've got a question for all you Greenmarker-loving eGullet-ers......

What is the most tart apple I can buy, and which greenmarket might I be able to buy them at?  (For example, I love granny smith apples, but I imagine there has to be several otherr varieties of apple with a similarly tart flavor)

Rhode Island Greening is "sour and hard with a distinctive tart flavor and soft grassy-colored skin. When it comes to tart, spicy apples, this beats Granny Smith any day"

The Twenty Ounce also has a tart flavor.

I think Locust Grove carries the best apples. They're at Union Square on Wednesday and W. 97th street on Friday. They definitely carry the Rhode Island Greening -- I went through them by the dozen last fall.

Rhode Island Greening is "sour and hard with a distinctive tart flavor and soft grassy-colored skin. When it comes to tart, spicy apples, this beats Granny Smith any day"

The Twenty Ounce also has a tart flavor.

I think Locust Grove carries the best apples. They're at Union Square on Wednesday and W. 97th street on Friday. They definitely carry the Rhode Island Greening -- I went through them by the dozen last fall.

Awesome. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

According to my apple chart the macoun has a "somewhat squat shape; dull red skin, coated with a natural film often mistaken for added wax.  Crackly, semi-tart, very crisp and tangy.

Yoh have an apple chart?? Now I'm impressed!!! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Last wednesday at Union Square was bustling. More stands than I can ever remember for that day of the week. A lots of choices. I picked up:

Eggplant

Zucchini - green and yellow

Peppers - Red and green

Tomatoes - cherry, sungold, lightbulbs, zebra and peach

Carrots - yellow, orange and purple

Scallions

Oregano

Fingerling Potatoes

Beets - Red and white

Mosaic Lettuce

Apples - Rhode Island Greenings and some other varieties

Concord Grapes

With the exception of the grapes, I proceeded to schlep everything to my in-laws in NJ where I was greeted with "what, you think they don't sell vegetables in this state?"

I bought some macoun apples -- this may sound silly, but they tasted like the apples I ate as a kid. They were the best apples I've eaten in years.

I purchased Gala apples this season as well, and they were also excellent, they tasted faintly of honey.

Is this an exceptional apples season, or have I just been eating crappy apples? (say that 5 times fast!)