• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Munchmobile does Cheesesteaks!

John

New Jersey cheesesteaks were reviewed in the Munchmobile section of today's Star Ledger. A few years ago they reviewed cheeseteaks; going to Pat's and Geno's in Philadelphia, and Whitehouse Subs in Atlantic City, among others. The article is probably available online through nj.com for people who might not have access to a Star Ledger (Holly).

They reviewed Big John's and Chick's Deli in Cherry Hill, Coppola Ristorante & Pizzeria in New Providence, Gaetano's in Willingboro, Mr. B's Grill in Morristown, The Philadelphia Grille in Elizabeth, Steaks Unlimited in Seasise Heights and the Sub Shack in Hackettstown. I like cheesesteaks, but am a neophyte in judging them. Of the places listed, I've only been to the Philadelphia Grille. This place has Philly roots, as the owner either owns or is partners with the owners of Jim's. I loved this steak, but to you connoiseurs, it may not be authentic, as they use a harder crustier bread. The munchers liked their bread the best. I've heard of Chick's and Gaetano's and was curious to see how they would do. The pick for best was Chick's Deli, which was also named best cheesesteak by Philadelphia Magazine last year, if I'm not mistaken. Interesting article. The author, who has been to Philly, says that Jersey steaks are better, but then again, I think that he's only been to Pat's and Geno's.

John the hot dog guy

The link is here http://www.nj.com/printer/printer.ssf?/bas...53779261820.xml

Anyplace that sells "philly cheesesteaks" or even worse "philly steak and cheese sandwiches" are places to leave immediately. If the sign just says 'cheesesteak' or "steak" then fine.

Three larges at Gaetano's? Were there 30 people eating? Really, Gaetano's has the biggest. I get their mini and Im stuffed. Also cheesesteaks aren't about "the spice". Bad criterion.

They didn't list their criteria. They mentioned soft bread was supposed to be good. No one checked the bacteria count of the meat? To be really authentic you need a high count :)

Don't know about seaside heights. The sausage and peppers place always gets me there.

Philly attitude is misspelled. It's attytude. :)

Were all of the munchers from the north? bloomfield, manasquan, kearny, south plainfield; where else?

fwiw, pat's and geno's are the most well known; not the best imho.

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Haven't made it to the places the Munchmobile hit, but based on this from the article

Well, Philly fanatics, we have news for you. Pat's and Geno's are the cheesesteak citadels in William Penn's city, and the Big Dog, which has visited both, found better on this side of the river. It's not a matter of equal time, or Jersey pride; we're just calling it like it is.

- and their buying into Best Cheesesteaks.Com's absurb proclamations that the roll should be soft to the point that it almost melts in one's mouth and that most Philadelphians prefer provolone -

the Munchmobilers suffer a knowledge credibility gap far wider than the Delaware River.

I'll concede that Atlantic City's White House Subs (absent from this article) may indeed be the best restaurant in Jersey, at least south Jersey, and that their hoagies and cheesesteaks are Philadelphia class,

But saying that the Jersey Cheesesteaks they ate are better than Pat's or Geno's (fine cheesesteaks but not the Gold Standard by any means) and therefore better than all Philadelphia cheesesteaks is like saying that Gallo Hearty Burgandy is better than Thunderbird and ergo the best US wine.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

YEAH!! :laugh:

Holly's right. The logic just doesn't add up. And soft bread?? MOST Philadelphians prefer Provolone?? Say Whaaaat??!!?? Right there they just blew whatever little cred they started with. You could fill the Delaware River and float several barges overflowing with cheesesteaks down the oceans of Cheese Whiz this city consumes annually. Sorry boys. You've revealed yourselves for the fraudulent pretenders you are. Pffft. Time to climb into the Munchmobile, put it into drive and actually CROSS the river (there are bridges that make this easier) to do some real research.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Has anyone been to Chick's? Supposedly they even won a best of Philly. Am curious to hear your opinions of how this place measures up to Philly's best.

John the hot dog guy

Has anyone been to Chick's? Supposedly they even won a best of Philly. Am curious to hear your opinions of how this place measures up to Philly's best.

I didn't realize Chick's advertised in Philadelphia Magazine :wink:

I know Chickie's Deli on Federal in Philly has won for the hoagies.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

But what do you think of Chick's Deli's cheesesteaks? Or Gaetano's for that matter? And how would you describe authentic Philly cheesesteak bread? What should it be like? From what I remember speaking to the owner of the Philadelphia Grille, he said he uses a harder bread than what is common in Philly. He said the harder bread wouldn't be accepted there (specifically Jims where he came from).

John the hot dog guy

If memory serves, Jim's does have a pretty soft roll. It's certainly softer than that at, say, Tony Luke's or John's Roast Pork. Both of which are very different styles of steak (but both of which are markedly better than Jim's...) But the harder rolls are certainly accepted: I'm not really sure what means by that.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

• 1 year later...

YEAH!! :laugh:

Holly's right. The logic just doesn't add up. And soft bread?? MOST Philadelphians prefer Provolone?? Say Whaaaat??!!?? Right there they just blew whatever little cred they started with. You could fill the Delaware River and float several barges overflowing with cheesesteaks down the oceans of Cheese Whiz this city consumes annually. Sorry boys. You've revealed yourselves for the fraudulent pretenders you are. Pffft. Time to climb into the Munchmobile, put it into drive and actually CROSS the river (there are bridges that make this easier) to do some real research.

It’s worse. An Atlanta based restaurant posting board, with former Le Bec Fin chef Carmen Capello contributing to the misinformation, is trying to also claim somehow claim the same BS.

Somebody else says (and I always seem to agree with that guy) that sure probably in South Philly, provolone is the most popular. Also I do think in the South Jersey precinct, American would probably be considered default, but no question, no question whatsoever that city and metro wide it’s Whiz.

Pfft, the nerve of some people. It would be like a guy originally from Evesham Township trying to tell them where to get the best barbecue.

Hey wait a minute.

Anyway is there truly a specific cheese required for “authentic” or “classic”? I say no, but if one HAD to single out a most popular or “typical”, it’s whiz wit fried onions. Isn’t anything other than American, provolone or Whiz sacrilegious?

Let’s settle this once and for all and nobody is leaving until we do.

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

It’s worse. An Atlanta based restaurant posting board, with former Le Bec Fin chef Carmen Capello contributing to the misinformation, is trying to also claim somehow claim the same BS.

Linky please. I wish to see this nonsense for myself...

And what's a former LBF chef doing in Atlanta spreading this slanderous crap anyway, hmmm? Will there soon be yet another "Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich" shop in yet another city making pale imitations of the real thing? :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Linky please.  I wish to see this nonsense for myself...

And what's a former LBF chef doing in Atlanta spreading this slanderous crap anyway, hmmm? Will there soon be yet another "Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich" shop in yet another city making pale imitations of the real thing?  :hmmm:

You got it. Brace yourself, it's ugly.

linky

Start with the third post down. Ugly, just ugly rumors and urban legends.

I have heard too many people talk about what they think a philadelphia cheesesteak is. I am from South Philadelphia. The traditional cheesesteak is NOT served with Cheez Whiz!!! What makes a cheesesteak is the following: cherry peppers, shaved meat, provolone cheese,

---Yogi Berra

Linky please.  I wish to see this nonsense for myself...

And what's a former LBF chef doing in Atlanta spreading this slanderous crap anyway, hmmm? Will there soon be yet another "Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich" shop in yet another city making pale imitations of the real thing?  :hmmm:

You got it. Brace yourself, it's ugly.

linky

Start with the third post down. Ugly, just ugly rumors and urban legends.

I have heard too many people talk about what they think a philadelphia cheesesteak is. I am from South Philadelphia. The traditional cheesesteak is NOT served with Cheez Whiz!!! What makes a cheesesteak is the following: cherry peppers, shaved meat, provolone cheese,

Interesting. And cherry peppers are certainly not a prerequisite. They're there if you want 'em, but just sitting and watching a half hour's worth of a random cross section of customers at either place at 9th and Passyunk will show you that few customers avail themselves of the hot peppers. Hell - they've got those nasty dried Szechuan looking hot peppers too. Does that make those a given as well? Mustard, mayo? Just because it's a condiment choice doesn't mean it's etched in stone ferchissakes. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Slightly off topic, but at Amazing Hot Dog, it's ALL about the Whiz!!! The real stuff from Kraft, not generic "cheese sauce" Not all vendors carry it. We had to buy 10 cases in order to meet the minimum purchase from the vendor who carry's it. If I had to walk to Philly to get it I would.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Even the website to which the article spreads the urban legend only claims provolone to be “preferred”. But honestly I think that former Philly chef is the first place I’ve heard someone go so far as to insist on a one and only cheese and a one and only topping.

I can understand how one would frown on a cheese outside the Big Three. Yes I know about the incident where the Bostonian wanted Swiss. I think Carmen, not able to look outside the cocoon of his own ‘hood merely insists his and only his cheese of choice is a prerequisite to the Balboa Pearly Gates.

It’s worse that a credible chef is spreading the innuendo. He should be disbarred or disspatulaed or dissed or whatever they do to chefs derelict in cheesesteak doctrine.

---Yogi Berra

• 1 year later...

I had a pizza steak from Chick's today, and it was excellent. tasty chopped ribeye, provolone and grilled onions folded in, and a very good homemade tomato sauce on a soft D'Ambrosio roll made for a delicious, greasy, messy sandwich. My shirt is ruined, but it was worth it.

The best cheesesteaks I ever ate were from The Hoagie Experience on Roosevelt Blvd in The Great Northeast. A close second were those from Harbison House. Both places are, I fear, just memories now.:sad: Please, somebody tell me if either place still exists...