• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Inexpensive Restaurants in CT

ErinB

I don't know exactly what the criteria we would use would be, but my thought is somewhere around $15 and under per person (not including alcohol)?

Things that come immediately to mind are

-Lenny and Joe's in Westbrook

-Tapas in West Hartford

Goulash Place in Danbury, heralded by The Sterns on their Road Food Web site. Entrees are $10.00. You won't spend more than $20.00 for your entire meal.

Roseland's in Derby. You'll spend between $10.00 and $15.00 for huge portions of old school italian. And get the birch beer.

The Sycamore Diner in Bethel... still offers car hop service... a throw back to the 50's, good burgers and shakes.

Hands down, my vote is for Penang, in Greenwich. (An unlikely spot for an inexpensive restaurant). Only 12 tables, beautiful, modern ambience, BYOB, and fabulous Pan-Asian food. You choose the menu item by sauce and meat, and they pick the appropriate vegetables and serve in little woks. The entrees, except shrimp, are about $10-$12. Soup is $1.50. GREAT PLACE!!

Penang

55 Lewis Street

Greenwich

piggys pub in hartford,,,5-10 buckos and its a fun place right around the corner from aetna. also angellinos in vernon,,the portions are enough for 3 people.on the other end of the spectrum try caveys in manchester,,,6---40 buckos! :wink:

I haven't been back since I left three years ago, but back then I had my favorites.

O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown- especially their mind-boggling selection of omelettes on weekends. In New Haven, the Yankee Doodle for breakfast or for snacks of fried doughnuts and delightfully buttery cheeseburgers. Louis' Lunch for burgers, Booktrader Cafe for killer sandwiches and coffee, Atticus for black bean soup, Lulu's European Cafe for quiet morning pastries and coffee (try her Bitch's Brew), Cafe Bravo for just about anything plus the best cappuccino in town. Oh, and lots of brick oven pizza by the slice when Wooster Sq. wasn't an option. Almost everyone I knew there loved Mamoun's which is a crummy, inexpensive little falafel joint that's open late, but it didn't do much for me- I liked Alexandria Cafe much more- I wonder if it's still around. I also liked Seoul for Korean food, The Pantry for breakfast, and Japanese Noodle House on State Street. I also ate at the natural foods store (Edge of the Woods) all the time- good salads, good deli. Istanbul Cafe is inexpensive if you order the vegetarian appetizer plate. It's huge- enough for at least two people- and cheap. The Anchor Cafe for bar food. I always disliked Claire's overrated vegetarian cafe, but the Rainbow Cafe is nice. Indochine Pavilion for lunch. Whimsel's for crepes. 21 Broadway for their awesome selection of grilled cheese sandwiches. Ivy Noodle for excellent dumplings.

That's New Haven off the top of my head. Phew.

In Milford, Chip's Pancake House for breakfast.

And I always loved Darbar in Branford for Indian food and the nearby Common Grounds for coffee and dessert.

Yes. Then there was Peaches Soul Food, and I cannot remember where it was located.

Ditto on Tapas.

Thai Gardens in Middletown.

Shady Glen -- just 'cause it's Shady Glen....

And the various New Haven pizza options - i love 'em all!

Is this becoming a Wesleyan reunion board?

Seconds to the O'Rourke's Diner and the Thai Gardens (Middletown, CT) suggestions!

The Pantry in Washington, CT always had fabulous food, but I'm not sure I'd list it as "inexpensive". :huh:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Ooooh. Shady Glen. Definitely.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on Thai Gardens, just because I've had a few mediocre meals there, but maybe I didn't get the right thing.

I vote for Hughies's on Bank St New London. Stop in on Saturday for killer lobster bisque with lots of chunks of lobster for under $5.00 and a Love Salad with great garlic bread for about $3.00. We like to sit in the lounge for a kind of pub atmosphere plus a nice little fireplace on a cold winter day.

Cheers,

HC

A dissenting voice on Darbar. I found it throroughly undistinguished. A far better Indian choice in Branford (seconded by Indian friends) was Sitar, but it closed, alas. They said they were going to open a new restaurant on Chapel Street in New Haven, but it doesn't seem to have happened.

I have to travel to thali in New Canaan for Indian I like.

And, yes, Verjuice, there are other Old Blues here. I am perhaps older than most. :smile:

• 1 month later...

The King and I - Thai in north Bridgeport (just off the Merritt, near Trumbull). Terrific Thai and great for take-out. Big draw for New Haven diners, I know.

Super Duper Weenie, Fairfield, just off I-95 (see many other posts).

I don't think there is any better "chain" fast food than La Salsa - and there's a branch in Fairfield.

Bloodroot, in the Black Rock/St. Mary's-by-the-Sea section of Bridgeport, is fanstastic vegetarian - and a relative bargain.

I've eaten at Mamoun's three times and don't get it (the praise), either. I AM a WASP Texan, though. I like Tandoor for Indian and it is on Chapel, just a stone's throw from Mamoun. YOu can get some pretty good meals at Christopher Martins, on State Street, in New Haven for under $15.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Where exactly is Thai Gardens in Middletown? The only good Thai I've ever had in CT was in Guilford on the green. Can't think of the name of course.

Only spots I've ever ventured to in Middletown are Eli's and La Boca. Is the Thai place in that area?

Where exactly is Thai Gardens in Middletown? 

Hi anna :raz:

It's across the street from First and Last. Same side of the street as Eli's, but on the opposite end of Main St. (the far end if you're at Eli's).

Edited by AES (log)

Wow lots of Middletown activity... (I grew up there--as a "townie").

Here are a few good places in New Britain:

CRACOVIA

[Polish]

60 Broad St.

New Britain, CT

(860) 223-4443

Great homestyle Polish food--bigas, galumpkis(sp), potato pancakes, blintzes, wonderful homemade soups (beef, pickle, beet... etc). In looking up the address I also found out that it is known as the first Polish restaurant in New England.

CRIOLLISIMO

[Caribbean, Latin American]

340 Arch St.

New Britain, CT

(860) 827-1177

Great Puerto Rican food--again, homestyle and very good prices.

CAPTITAL LUNCH

510 Main St.,

New Britain, CT

(860) 229-8237

One word: chili hot dogs and great french fries. Bet you can't eat less then two..

This place is a classic, serving up dogs with their great homemade chili for at least 60-70 years. (Again, looking for address, I found out something interesting; they've recently opened a 2nd store up in Storrs near UCONN compus).

Another great resource is Jan and Michael Stern's. They live in CT and as many people know they go on the road all over the US to find great "road food". Here's an article on some of their CT faves; would be nice to hear people's comments on any of these.... :smile:Stern's CT favorites

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hi anna    :raz:

It's across the street from First and Last.  Same side of the street as Eli's, but on the opposite end of Main St.  (the far end if you're at Eli's).

Thanks Amy! :biggrin:

Are you home today? We went to Eli's last night.....Next time we are down there, we'll check out the Thai place.

• 9 months later...