• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Wolfgang's/Luger showdown - Anyone interested?

mikeyrad

From Frank Bruni's review in the New York Times:

At 6:43, we had the Steak for Two at Wolfgang's. At 9:21, we had the Steak for Two at Luger.
We walked all the way to Williamsburg. Our gluttony demanded penance.

So here's the idea: Let's pick a date and have the steak at both establishments. The walk to Williamsburg is optional. We can compare the taste, thickness and doneness of both steaks just as Bruni did. We can share the Steak for Two between three or four people to avoid overgluttony. In addition, if we get enough people together, we can sample more than just the porterhouses.

Reply if you're interested. Include how you like your steak cooked. If we have enough interest, I'll get in touch with the Times to see if they'll publish our results as a follow-up to Bruni's review.

Count Kirk and I in for this. I think it's a great idea.

It might be easier to reverse the journey, though...Luger's for lunch and Wolfgang's after. I previously tried to organize something similar at Luger's. Depending on the final group size, it would be easiest to reserve tables in groups of four...I think they asked for a deposit or a Luger's card number for a large party, and I wasn't willing to put my Luger's card on the line for people I didn't know well :unsure: And lunch at Luger's is much easier and less problematic than dinner, unless one doesn't mind a late res time and closing the place down.

It's cheating a bit, but it would greatly facilitate coordination.

Just my two cents. I'll be there regardless.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I have no preference which restaurant we go to first. I'd actually prefer finishing the evening in Manhattan. BTW, suerad and I like our steaks rare to medium-rare.

Edited by mikeyrad (log)

How intriguing! I'm in if the date works out. Probably not HWOE, though, he's not as much a steak lover as I. And for the record, I'm a rare gal, but if the meat is really good, medium-rare is okay. :biggrin:

On second thought, we can probably count on HWOE to be our lamb chop tester. :wub:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Wife Carrie and I have eaten at Wolfgang's already and enjoyed it hugely, and are old hands at Luger, but the thought of doing both in one day has us Strangely Intrigued. Count us in, pending date availability, etc.

I like steak blood-rare, she likes hers a little more done than that, but we happily compromise on medium-rare when ordering a porterhouse for two.

Will follow this with interest as it develops.

Barry

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Same here: Would be interested subject to availability.

Lunch followed by early dinner makes a lot of sense, especially since it allows for a hardcore sub-group to go on to MarkJoseph afterwards . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Lunch followed by early dinner makes a lot of sense, especially since it allows for a hardcore sub-group to go on to MarkJoseph afterwards . . .

Yeah, I think I could do this as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And after that, it's up to Columbia Presbyterian for a coronary bypass .... oops, that's Frank Bruni's joke.

Cool! then we can finish off with a party at my house!

OH. Maybe I'd better check that with HWOE first. :sad:

So far I have 14. Please let me if you will be bringing guests (and how many).

mikeyrad (Mike and Sue)

oakapple

wongste

picaman (Jamie and Kirk)

Susanne F

Holly Moore

baw

enrevanche (Barry and Carrie)

Fat Guy (Steven)

kurl (Ben)

Jason Perlow

It looks like our window is between the middle and end of August. I also don't hnow how many people go out of town for the weekend. Here's a tentative date:

Saturday, August 21

Peter Luger: 1:30 PM

Wolfgang's 7:30 PM

with a possible stopover at MarkJoseph and/or party at Suzanne's afterward.

Please let me know your availablity and if we should adjust the times for lunch and/or dinner.

Sounds good to me. And HWOE, too. :biggrin:

Between couches, loveseats, and chairs, we've got enough seating for all, if anyone needs a place to crash in-between (or after, if MJ is included for a late snack).

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I don't have anything currently planned for that date, though it's way outside my workable time horizon for planning so I will have to give a final answer during August. Count me in until you hear otherwise, though. Just one from my team, I think.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dining times sound fine; August 21st is penciled in on our calendar.

It looks like there's time in between lunch and dinner for some focused drinking at a friendly watering hole. Just sayin'.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

I thought that time was reserved for angioplasty . . .

Sorry, identity crisis. Again.

Dining times sound fine; August 21st is penciled in on our calendar.

It looks like there's time in between lunch and dinner for some focused drinking at a friendly watering hole. Just sayin'.

I'm thinking a visit to the Shake Shack :wacko:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

That date is fine, and it's on our calendar.

Very much looking forward to this. Kirk and I will definitely be making our traditional walk back over the Williamsburg bridge, if anyone wants to join us.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite