• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th of July in NJ?

Rosie

they are doing a pig roast at our lake but are having a hard time finding residents to come for it...

john won't go since he will no longer eat pork :hmmm:

i have no problem with pig :rolleyes:

but he feels it is not in his best intrest to eat something he is so close to (like most of his relatives - bad susan, bad) i still do not get his reasoning - unless it is free-range( usually the chicken and beef i buy) or aaarrrgggghhhh....

unfortunately my mom isn't alive to talk any sense into him anymore :angry:

i have to work saturday and monday so sunday i'm planning on some freezer defrost - filet, kosher hot dogs, chicken, squash, already did a macaroni salad, will do greenbean and potato salad, a key lime chiffon pie.

we did just have the first corn of the season - good but not great... more to come

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tenafly's Fourth of July celebration is today on, um, the third. Anyway, they do it right for a relatively small town. There's rides, games, food (mostly for the kids) in the park next to the middle school from 10 AM - 3 PM. Then from 7-9 there's music and food in the same park. This includes some free stuff like bottled water, popsicles, hot dogs (I don't recall the hot dogs being free, Jason does, whatever, we bring our own picnic), glow light stick necklaces, other kid-oriented stuff.

The fireworks are at 9:15. Like I said we bring our own picnic, spread some blankets out and claim a good space for firework viewing around 8. Bug spray is important, as is a flashlight for the walk back to the car.

Just as important, the bathroom facilities are good, last year they started letting people into the middle school to use the boys & girls room. Big improvement over the previous years' porta potty situation.

Ridgewood's celebration is not until Monday, and feeling not so much like celebrating "America" we thought we would do something to honor community so we are this weekend's volunteer Chefs at Prospect House (shared living for independent seniors) in Bergen County.

The menu tonight will be grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, buttered corn off the cob, and ice cream from Van Dykes for dessert.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Best fireworks display in Bergen County is probably in Hackensack on Sunday, in Foschini Park on the river. Free DooWop show, usually the same groups you pay $30 for at the Meadowlands. And the fireworks can be seen for miles, because they do them on the Hackensack River. Parking can be daunting if you arrive late. I think the show starts at 7, fireworks at dusk.

Heading to Asbury Park tomorrow. Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes 8:00 - 10:00. Who could ask for more?

Planning on dinner of some sort down there before the show. If we discover anything eGullet-worthy, you'll read about it here! :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Pictures of our picnic are on the Dinner! thread. I made Pork "Souvlaki" (Jason grilled the chops, I marinated and pulled the meat), Tzatzkiki, Babaganouj, Eggplant & Tomato Salad, Corn Relish (had some leftover grilled corn, not really with the theme, but tasty), carrot sticks & cucumber slices for dipping, pita for wrapping (bought), and watermelon. We're leaving for the park to enjoy the music soon (after a stop to buy bug spray :wink:).

At home with the immediate family, parents and brother. Will be dining on Union Pork Store brats (out of Usinger's), Usinger's Angus Beef Weiners, Best's 5 count beef dogs (same as served at Syd's), Union Pork Store German franks, Wegman's hamburger's, Homemade potato salad, pasta salad, macaroni salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, honey teriyaki chicken breasts, Franziskaner Hefe Weizen, Samuel Adams, and apple pie.

John the hot dog guy

I'll be on The Bridge Farm outside of Princeton :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe