• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Best Sushi in Dallas

irodguy

My votes follow:

1) Masami 75 & Beltline. I have known Naoshi for 25 years. He was the first Sushi Bar and I still personally think the best.

2) Simon's Sushi 75 & Plano Parkway. Very close 2nd.

Never trust a skinny chef

Welcome aboard. I am in Houston and hate raw fish but glad to have you here anyway. :biggrin:

Have you found any sushi tacos yet? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am not a fan of sushi but my friends who love it say that Nakimoto's at 75 and Parker in Plano is excellent as is 9 Fish at Gaylord Pkwy. in Frisco. I have eaten at both restaurants but my food had to be cooked. :biggrin:

Jinbeh is not bad but actually Korean. That being said it's not a bad thing because you can also get Korean BBQ.

For sushi though it's no match for the Japanese. Nakamoto's previous chef for many years is Simon. That's why I mentioned Simon's Sushi. He is among the best.

I was also agree with 9 Fish forgot to mention it earlier, all though they really hate to make Sushi. They are more Sashimi and Robato bar. They are a tad more expensive than the other mentioned. It's the only Sushi bar in the US that I ever broke $100 for lunch!!! (Easy to do in Japan or the UK)

I will post a message next time that we do WWW (Wacky Wasabi Wednesday) or TTT (Terrified Tuna Thursday). We normally go and take over a Sushi bar with 12 to 15 of us. We try to do this on a slow day so we don't disrupt their normal business. I believe the next one will be WWW @ Simon's Sushi in Plano.

Rodney

Quite a bit of Sushi is cooked. You can even get away from the Seaweed by using Tofu Paper.

I do Sushi parties once every few months. I have converted several people to Sushi by making it with "known" foods. Like my Italian Chicken Sushi, with Teriyaki Sauce.

When we to WWW or TTT we have a couple of people who don't eat "Fish" So they do Katsu or Teriyaki. If you eat at one of the Korean Sushi Bars you can always get Korean BBQ or bibimbap.

Jinbeh is not bad but actually Korean. That being said it's not a bad thing because you can also get Korean BBQ.

For sushi though it's no match for the Japanese.

Are you sure about Jinbeh being Korean? Isn't Korean BBQ where you cook it at your table?

Nothing about the Jinbeh's I've been to struck me as Korean, and they have all the typical Japanese restaurant fare: tataki, gyoza, the hibachi grills . . .

Sushi = pickled Rice (Rice with Vinegar) There are many different types of Sushi including

Maki - Rolled with Nori or Tofu Paper

Edo Sushi - Small balls of rice with something normally fish draped over it

Pressed Sushi - I believe this is the oldest variety. A two piece box is used with a weight

9 Fish believes the true art is cutting sashimi (raw fish). The true masters are knife experts extreme.

Robato is small cooked items like shrimp or small pieces of fish. There are bars that specialize in this. Many normal Sushi restaurants don't do this.

irodguy, 9 Fish sounds great--I love sashimi, just wish I could afford to eat it more often.

I live in Dallas proper and have yet to venture outside the city limits (DFW metroplex wise) for sushi. My city favorite is Teppo. The sushi/robato bar is cool and chic. Raw and cooked items are first class.

For a more casual meal I love Sushi House on Lovers (near Inwood). A lovely Korean couple own the place and they make you feel so at home, especially if you sit at the bar. Miso soup is the best in town imo. Fish is fresh, prices are reasonable, and they strive to please. Ikura last week was wonderful--the pieces were bite sized with ample roe without rice overload. Easily the best proportioned I've had in years.

Hmm I wonder if Sushi house is the bar that Ms. Lee of Royal East Asian Cuisine in Denton used to own. I know they had a sushi bar in the inwood & lovers area.

Have not tried Teppo but, I have been to Tei Tei Robata Bar which is quite good.

Overall it's still very hard to beat Masami for sushi.