• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calf's feet

bleachboy

I'm making a pot roast tomorrow for my father-in-law's birthday. Believe it or not, I've never made one before. I'm following the directions for "Boef a la Mode" in Julia Child. To add body to the sauce, it calls for "1 or 2 split calf's feet" -- well, I do happen to have a package of "beef feet" in the freezer from a few months ago, that I was saving for just such an occasion. Not sure they're from a calf, exactly, but I figure they've still got the gelatin.

The question is, it seems like I've seen instructions before on "cleaning" the feet, but can't find those instructions. I assume I just split them in half with a cleaver or whatnot, but do I need to blanch them, rinse them, soak them, or what? And I assume after I've done whatever you guys tell me to do, I just plop them in the sauce (and remove them before serving, obviously)?

I've got the beef marinating in the red wine, herbs, and aromatic vegetables overnight, and I'll probably do the braising and such early tomorrow afternoon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

bleachboy - good for you. The feet can be prepared in advance to add to the braise. Defrost and then split the feet lengthwise from the top, and wash off in running water. Blanch them a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, rinse in cold water, and you can keep them (refrigerate if keeping for several hours) until you're ready to add them to simmer.

Have a nice dinner!

-Lucy

Thanks so much, Lucy! Your technique worked perfectly. The blanching process threw off a lot of scum, which I took as a sign of success. After I strained and reduced the sauce, it was quite velvety, although I still added a little corn starch since Southerners (in the US) like their sauce thick enough for the mashed potatoes. I think I'll use these feet more often. :biggrin:

The roast is about what you'd expect -- extremely delicious, with a good red wine flavor that is definitely present but not overpowering the beef, which tastes just like braised beef should.

My wife has the digital camera, but I'll post a pic if she brings it to the birthday party!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Hopefully you didn't toss it out?

I did! :sad: I figured it was "used up"... what can one do with it?

I pack them into a terrine and chill until solid. Then I cut them up and use 'em in a salad. Here's a recipe that starts from scratch, but that can be adapted to veal cooked as part of another dish.

Bouland

a.k.a. Peter Hertzmann

à la carte