• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any recommendation for a "Roti Maker"?

bong

Do you guys have any experience using these "Roti Maker"s? So far, using Google, I have found a "Revel" brand Roti Maker and a "ChefMaster" branc Chappathi maker. Any experience using these or any others?

sorry, only has experience with a Tortilla press, which I use to make various ethnic flat breads...All it does is squish the dough into a flat disk...You have to cook em the old fashioned way...

Looks like a cool gizmo, but wifey would probably make my life more miserable than it already is if I bought another kitchen appliance :biggrin:

so these gizmos actually cook the roti too?
That's the claim, yes.

I am surprised nobody here has used any of these gadgets.

i've seen these in india and despite the ads showing sanitised roti production at the dining table,i'm not convinced they're a good thing primarily because i don't like the thought of my rotis being cooked between two teflon surfaces..no one i know uses one though several people use the tortilla/roti press to form the rotis.

We have one, which has not been used more than 2-3 times. Most of the people have similar story about this appliance, bought but not used. Bong if you are in New Jersey, you can pick it up from my place or you pay for shipping and I will ship it.

I don't like them at all, surprisingly, my MIL thinks they are great (she hates cooking).

In order to make things progress a little faster, I use a large, heavy griddle pan that spans two burners. Much fast than using one of those machines, IMO.

--Jenn

I don't like them at all, surprisingly, my MIL thinks they are great (she hates cooking).

In order to make things progress a little faster, I use a large, heavy griddle pan that spans two burners. Much fast than using one of those machines, IMO.

It's the most sensible thing to do. I got myself a rectangular tava that spans two burners to make dosas. No more one dosa at a time and grumbling diners.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Bong,

Some Bengali housewives resident in the US aver that the tortilla press allows them to form large numbers of luchis [100+] very conveniently. If get-togethers and pujas require your family to turn out similar numbers, a press may be useful for this purpose.

regards,

gautam

Bong,

Some Bengali housewives resident in the US aver that the tortilla press allows them to form large numbers of luchis [100+] very conveniently.  If get-togethers and pujas require your family to turn out similar numbers, a press may be useful for this purpose.

regards,

gautam

Yes, I got my wife a tortilla press a few years back. Unfortunately, it does not work as well as she thought it would -- the dough sticks to the damn thing when you press it. Apparently, you are supposed to place a sheet of plastic in between the dough and the metal -- but even that doesn't seem to work.

My family has a special press for puri - we've had it for a long time; I think an old family friend gave it to us. The surface is allegedly nonstick; we oil it often while we're cooking, though. Truth be told, we haven't made puri in a long, long time :sad:

Mmmmmm, now I'm hungry for rotis! Using a pan that spans two burners is a fantastic idea!

Amy

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...

My issue with the Rotimatic is that the roti that I make (like in Malaysia/Singapore) is a laminated dough, made by taking the dough ball and stretching to a very thin sheet, then rolling up into a snake and curled into a disk.  This gives the roti a great flaky texture - it's not just puffed...

• Like 1