• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identifying SupperClub's eggplant dish

bong

We had a very different eggplant preparation  mixed with gur.

Pray tell more about this, I am very curious.

And welcome to the forum....

I wish I could tell you more. The eggplant (which btw looked like chinese eggplant) was cut into cubes and coated with a sauce. The sauce itself had the consistency of a murabba (thick and syrupy) and brownish in color. The eggplant tasted sweet but not overly so and very delicious. I googled to see of any eggplant + gur recipes and all I could find were Eggplant Gojju, Eggplant Pachadi, and Maharashtrian Eggplant with Potatoes. I am sure it was none of these.

Next time I go to Supper Club I'll definitely try to get more details.

I wish I could tell you more. The eggplant (which btw looked like chinese eggplant) was cut into cubes and coated with a sauce. The sauce itself had the consistency of a murabba (thick and syrupy) and brownish in color. The eggplant tasted sweet but not overly so and very delicious. I googled to see of any eggplant + gur recipes and all I could find were Eggplant Gojju, Eggplant Pachadi, and Maharashtrian Eggplant with Potatoes. I am sure it was none of these.

Next time I go to Supper Club I'll definitely try to get more details.

I think there is a Konkani recipe Brinjal Puddi Sagle which also uses jaggery but I am not sure that was what you ate. Perhaps I will call the restaurant today and find out

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

From Edward - I am still learning how to merge posts! Sorry

Sounds like Khatte Baigan to me. Supper Club has Bhagare Baigan on the menu-eggplant with peanuts, poppy seeds, tamarind and I think jaggery. This is Hyderabadi....no?

--------------------

Edward Hamann

Culinary Instructor

Regional Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice