• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcohol consumption survey:

It would be interesting to see this list over a period of history. How much to countries move up or move down? Who is consistently at the top or bottom. A solitary data point like this doesn't reveal much.

I believe in 1992 the top four were Germany, Denmark, Poland, and Ireland. If that's the case, I wonder why Poland has dropped so dramatically.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm not sure this survey tells us much at all. Some societies (like the US) have a split personality when it comes to alcohol consumption -- lots of complete abstainers and lots of "abusers"; while others (like France) have a more moderate consumption practiced by more people (in other words, not as many abstemious citizens, but not as many abusers either).

It'd also be more interesting to know in what form the various countries tend to imbibe their alcohol -- beer, wine or distilled spirits.

By the way, I'm sure that I, personally, up the average in the US.

Luxembourg (440'000 inhabitants) is a banking/financial center of Europe. A lot of the European union administration is located there too. They must have happy lunchtimes there. :biggrin:

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

To compare these numbers with consumption of wine, beer and spirits could be telling about drinking habits.

For instance, the French consume 70-80 l wine (=7.5-8.5 l pure alcohol). Not much left for beer and spirits.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.