• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Place in Edison

Daniel

I remember about 8 years ago i would go to this chinese restaurant in edison i think. It was close to middlesex county college.But what i remembered about it was how authentic it was. It would always be jammed packed with people, most of which were speaking chinese and ordering things off a seperate menu then the one i had. There was an eel tank also that was very busy.

My mother and father never really liked the place too much, and at the time i had very little exposure to authentic chinese cooking. Anyway, I have asked my mother the name of the restaurant and she has forgotten. I think of this place from time to time and would love to go back.

This place is in a strip mall i remember and its like 5 or 10 minutes away from middlesex county college.

I would love to hear a review of this place.

Ok.. so i have narrowed it down to two places. Dragon Palace on Oak Tree Road in Edison. Great Shanghai on Route 1 in Edison, NJ. Certainly have no qualms about trying both. Going away for a couple of weeks so it will have to wait.

Daniel

Daniel,

I am going to guess it wasn't Dragon Palace unless they have changed considerably over the years.

I used to go there quite a bit, several years ago, and it was fine, but nothing special and never really crowded. I haven't been there since they moved (they used to be in a different spot in the same strip mall).

It's been probably 10 years since I've been there.

I do remember that one time they dropped my remaining dinner on the way to the kitchen (which I hadn't finished and I'd asked them to wrap it). And they didn't offer to replace it, and still charged me the full amount.

Back then I wasn't as ballsy as now. Now I would have made an issue of it.

Randi

P.S. Also, it's not all that close to the college

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I'm going to disagree with Randi and say it was the Dragon Palace. It's in a strip mall, has a largely Chinese clientel and is pretty crowded at lunch and on weekend evenings.

This place is notorious for its wildly different English and Chinese menus. The English menu is a joke with pu-pu platters and dishes that seem to feature canned fruit while the Chinese menu is one of the best Sichuan offerings in New Jersey (perhaps the whole NYC area)

Try the Chinese Okra or the Cold Rabbit With Chili Sauce - amazing!

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Well, as I said, it's been quite a while since I've been there. It was never crowded when I used to go. I need to try the place out again!!

Thanks for the tip!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

In that same area is a great Chinese restaurant...Orchids. They used to be on Main St. in Woodbridge but relocated several years ago. They are now in a little strip mall just around the corner from the Metro Park RR Station. Great selections and it's also a BYO.