• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Toppings and Fixin's: The Topic

Alex

... and tomato slips past bacon into first place. Pork producers demand a recount. Supreme Court says, "We're staying out of this one." Clickety

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Tomato

Lettuce

Grilled Onions

Pickles (dill, homemade)

Mayo

Zatarains Mustard

Ketchup

Avacado (sometimes)

Crushed Black Pepper

No Bacon

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Here are the results broken out by geographic region.

I'm a burger minimalist. The few items you have on the burger should not interfere with the taste of the meat. With the exception of avocados :angry: Mayhaw Man has a pretty good list. I'd just add cheddar cheese.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

• Bacon, but only if it's good bacon. (Yes, there is such a thing as bad bacon.) I rather like pancetta these days.
  • Gruyere. Aged provolone, in a pinch. On top of the bacon.
  • Good, sharp Dijon mustard.

Catsup is a tool of Satan. :angry:

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

Bacon, definitely.

Tomatoes and RAW onion, preferably Vidalia or Bermuda. Also cooked/caramelized onion, so you get both flavors.

Horseradish mixed with mayonnaise and mustard.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Finally, some of the more unusual burger toppings mentioned by respondants include banana, pudding, peaches, crab meat and artichokes.

pudding?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Vidallia onions seem too meek for a burger. Kinda Richard Simonsy. Red onions strike me as way too foodie. Give me a good ol' yellow or bermuda onion.

My burger tastes are ever changing. Right now I'm tending towards extra greasy cheeseburgers with brown or yellow mustard. Perhaps some fried onions if they're handy.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Finally, some of the more unusual burger toppings mentioned by respondants include banana, pudding, peaches, crab meat and artichokes.

pudding?

Peaches?? :hmmm: Banana?? :shock::sad: No, make that :angry:

Avocado can be a very nice addition. Except that it can make the whole burger squirt out the other end as you bite it. :rolleyes:

plain.

muenster, jalapeno & onion (any).

one question: are turkey burgers sacrilege?

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Horseradish mixed with mayonnaise and mustard.

Dude! :cool:

I throw on some good cheddar every now and then, but when forming burgers, I include minced red onion, dash or two of Worceshire, couple good grinds of each of my pepper mills, chopped fresh thyme and oregano and Janes Krazy Mixed up salt to the ground beef and mix well. They come out grand.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Iceberg lettuce, THICK slice of tomato, two dill pickles (no more), either the perfect combination of mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish or whatever the secret sauce is and bacon and avocado. There must be that hint of char. And if the bun is slightly grilled but still soft on top and you squish it together with just the right amount of pressure, the avocado doesn't squidge out! (To anyone who lives near an Archibald's burger joint you can get the above-mentioned burger there. Very good for a chain. Very inexpensive.)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Nothing too wierd....ketchup, cheddar (melted), thinly sliced onion, sliced tomato (in season). My heresy goes inside the burger: A1 Steak Sauce mixed into the meat, with a little Woosterchestershire®.

Anyone make their own burger buns? I use the recipe from "City Cuisine". A good bun hides a multitude of sins. :smile:

too many choices... depends on the mood!

bacon, cheese, tomato and a little mayo

swiss cheese and grilled onions, with or without ketchup

blue cheese and bacon

sharp cheddar cheese, with or without ketchup

avocado and bacon

Hmmm.. bacon seems to be a common theme...I'm probably in the minority not really liking lettuce on my burger... it okay sometime--but for added veggies, it's usually only added sliced tomato or avocado...

Jason's horseradish mixed wtih mayo and mustard sounds really good too...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have two different types of burgers I can enjoy, one is your basic flip joint style, thin pattie, cooked all the way through, slice of raw onion, bit of iceburg lettuce, american or mild cheddar cheese, yellow mustard, ketchup, tomato, and a couple dill pickle chips, served up on a plain bun (no seeds, no crustyness, just your average wonderbread of buns) that has been squished down a bit.

The other, and in more substantial burger is more of the gourmet type I suppose.

Thick rare ground sirloin/regular ground beef blend patty.

Thick slice of strong Onion (raw)

Dijon Mustard

Tomato

Crispy Bacon (I like bacon solo to be sort of still chewy, but for a burger, crispy is better)

Good slather of Mayo (no miracle whip ever, blech)

Provolone Cheese

Good amount of nice thick dill pickle

Also good is a more foodie variant:

Thick rare sirloin/regular patty

Sauteed Carmelized Onions

Bleu cheese crumbles

Mayo

Portobella mushroom cap

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The burger patty is formed of 20% fat ground chuck, salt, pepper, a generous dose of shredded basil, and a squeeze of lemon.

Formed into a reasonable size (4 - 5 oz) and slow roasted on a moderate grill, basting alternately with butter and lemon.

Onto a toasted bun, super-ripe ripe tomatoes (canned works in a pinch), finely shredded iceberg or bibb lettuce, mayo on both sides, creole mustard on one, no cheese, no other sauces. OK, a slice of American (Deluxe, please) if you must.

Damn. Just made myself hungry.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

option 1 - some type of spicy mustard, slice of vidalia, plenty of dill pickle chips

option 2 - dukes mayo, iceberg, slice of vidalia, tomato

note: option 2 only when homegrown tomato is available

both options - toasted or grilled bun

ketchup is for fries!

doug

No ketchup or mayo. Raw onion, dill pickle, yellow or brown mustard, iceberg lettuce-crunchy and tomato. Grilled bun. Cheese gets lost if there is a good char.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Niman Ranch beef grilled with whatever spices/herbs strike my fancy on that day (garlic pepper, cayenne, parsley) along with a bit of Worcestershire and liquid smoke. Topped with melted Swiss cheese goodness followed by raw diced red onions or carmelized yellow/white onions; Claussen dill pickles or homemade spicy bread-and-butter pickles; crispy bacon; avocado slices; ketchup; and either spicy brown, stone ground, or horseradish mustard. Mmmmmmm.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Cities included Athens, TX; Honolulu, HI; Omaha, NE; Redding, CA; Topeka, KS; Tyler, TX; and Wichita, KS. :hmmm:

• Largest population: Omaha, NE
  • Easternmost city: Topeka, KS
  • All cities West of the Mississippi River

Hardly representative of America as a whole, I'd think.

My personal favorites:

• Bacon
  • Good aged cheddar
  • Onion (grilled and/or raw)
  • Shredded iceburg lettuce
  • Slightly underripe tomato (i.e., not so soft)
  • Pickle slices

Usually not all of these together, though.

--

blue cheese (Forme d'Ambert works beautifully)

caramelized onions

burger

Dijon mustard

bacon (Whole Foods slab bacon...mmmmmmmmm)

on a good crusty toasted roll

Or

ketchup

mustard

dill pickle

american cheese

burger

tomato

lettuce

good mayo

on a regular old bun

In that order. :smile:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Cities included Athens, TX; Honolulu, HI; Omaha, NE; Redding, CA; Topeka, KS; Tyler, TX; and Wichita, KS. :hmmm:

• Largest population: Omaha, NE
  • Easternmost city: Topeka, KS
  • All cities West of the Mississippi River

Hardly representative of America as a whole, I'd think.

Indeed. The home office is in Wichita, so I'd guess they didn't want to travel too far to find out "how America voted."

:wink:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite