• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF Visit Inquiry

mascarpone

My favorite Thai place in SF is Khan Toke, on Geary and 24th. Part of it is the atmosphere, as they make you take off your shoes and sit at low tables, but the food is quite good. I never have been to Marnee Thai, although I used to live nearby; the reason why is that everytime we passed by, there was a long line out the door, which is an indicator of its popularity. If you do make it out there, they are known for their angel wings.

On the subject of Filipino food, has anyone been to the Jolly Bee in Union City (I think that's the name of the city)? Apparently it's the biggest fast food chain in the Phillippines, and has some menu items unique to it. It's right next to the Krispy Kreme. It has a big metal bee character outside the front door! I never ate there, but sure was curious.

I live near the Union City location. There was also a Jollibee near Moscone Center, but that has apparently closed now. Its fast food with a Filipino twist, more or less. They serve Fried Chicken, Burgers, and Spaghetti. Very very greasy. Not sure what you're looking for, but if you want somewhat more "authentic" Filipino fast food, Goldilocks is a better bet, as they serve lumpia, pancit, and of course, diniguan. :biggrin:

I live near the Union City location.  There was also a Jollibee near Moscone Center, but that has apparently closed now.

Just to complete the circle here, the Jollibee at 4th and Harrison was replaced by a Thai place (Cha Am Express). :raz:

On the subject of Filipino food, has anyone been to the Jolly Bee in Union City

Oh, you mean Jollibee.

California is the only state in the U.S. with Jollibee locations. Same with the Goldilocks bakery chain.

Yes! It's "Jollibee." I always thought of it as "Jolly Bee" because of the jolly bee outside. :laugh:

Goldilocks Bakery looks very interesting. Is the Richmond location near that asian-food mall? I never made it there but always heard good things about it.

Goldilocks Bakery looks very interesting. Is the Richmond location near that asian-food mall? I never made it there but always heard good things about it.

Yes, it's in the Pacific East Mall (as is 99 Ranch Market).

allison

I ended up going to the Thai House affiliated to the more recent 2200 Market branch which is located on Noe Street. Very good Crispy Catfish Salad. I asked for a 75 percent spicy (medium spicy) Green curry with Chicken and I got mild. When I asked to have it made spicier I was brought a small spice rack with Red Chili paste (?) and some red pepper like powder, as well as salt and something else. Then I spiced the food myself. I think this worked out nicely. The bill, including tip, came out to just over twenty dollars. Very enjoyable. I hope to check out more recommended restuarants next trip. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

mascarpone

Edited by mascarpone (log)