• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter Chicken

Hello Good People of the India and Indian Cuisine Forum,

I know very little about Indian cuisine except that I love it!

Anyway... A friend of mine told me about a dish one of his co-workers prepared for an office pot-luck. The woman who prepared the dish said it was a popular Indian dish, which she called "butter chicken."

My friend said it was absolutely delicious. Everyone at the potluck agreed that it was the best dish and that if the pot-luck had been a competition, the woman with the butter chicken would surely have won.

I have tried searching for this dish by the name given, but I can't seem to locate a recipe.

Please help!

Thank you.

Butter chicken is known in Hindi/Punjabi as Murgh Makhani. It is really just left over tandoori chicken simmered in a tomato-cream sauce flavored with shredded ginger and cilantro. In restaurants it is also made with boneless chicken tikkas and is called Chicken Tikka Masala.

Most of the well known writers on Indian cooking have a recipes in their books, but I bet our Monica(who is fast becoming well known!) has one she would be willing to share.

Edited by Edward (log)

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Hi.

Funny you should ask :biggrin: as that's exactly the first question I asked when I found this forum. I've posted the original thread The Real Bukhara Makhani Chicken-- that I started in order to give you some info on this dish. I'll warn you that I've discovered there are as many variations to this dish as there are people who cook Indian food. And I'll second Monica and say that if you "search" here (and on Google too) you'll find more information.

Good luck.. and by all means this dish is heaven and well worth the effort to find a recipe you like.

*lol* i think it may have been my first question when i came ot this forum too. (actually mine might have been "what's the difference btwn butter chicken and chicken tikka masala") hee.

fiftydollars, butter chicken is my culinary holy grail. As Monica/Pompollo stated, there are many recipes on this site. I also have about 30 more that I'd be happy to share with you.

Does your friend have a way of getting in touch with the woman who prepared the dish? How about asking her for the recipe?