• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sacre bleu! It's the SAQ topic!

Carswell, I did a Beaujolais trio at Bu last night:

ean-paul brun, l’ancien, terres dorées, beaujolais 2003

château cambon, beaujolais-villages 2004

g. descombes, brouilly 2003

I don't know if I'd be as harsh on #1 but... I really liked the #2 in sort of a replacement for a great Rose way - I thought.

Have you tried #2 and #3?

Carswell,  I did a Beaujolais trio at Bu last night:

ean-paul brun, l’ancien, terres dorées, beaujolais 2003

château cambon, beaujolais-villages 2004

g. descombes, brouilly 2003

I don't know if I'd be as harsh on #1 but... I really liked the #2 in sort of a  replacement for a great Rose way - I thought.

Have you tried #2 and #3?

Nope. Is the Cambon a private import? Haven't tasted any 2004 Bojos yet but it's supposed to be a classically styled vintage.

Maybe I was a little harsh re the Brun. The TNs were from memory and I was disappointed at the showing of a wine I normally love. That said, a French friend has since reported that the Gault et Millaut guide, also normally a Brun fan, found the wine to be totalement raté (i.e. Brun blew it).

Another eGer has written that he found the Poncié "thin and empty," though, which is about 180º from my take on it, so go figure.

Should also mention that the Clos de la Briderie is not only gamay. Though that variety dominates, the wine also contains some cabernet franc and cot (the Loire's name for malbec).

Edited by carswell (log)

• 2 weeks later...

This just in. The latest flyer from the SAQ Signature store is announcing another "10% off all purchases of $100 and over" sale this Thursday through Sunday, July 28-31. In the past, these sales have been system-wide and I expect this one will be too, though there's currently no mention of it on www.saq.com.

edit: As suspected, the sale is system-wide.

Edited by carswell (log)

For Cal Wine lovers, the SAQ has now released De Loach's 2002 entry-level Zinfandel. Less extracted and less over-oaked than previous years efforts, this is a lovely fruity Zin for $18 and change. Also noticed that some of the outlets are also carrying Ravenswood's mid-level ICON - the Rhone clone from Sonoma Country. It's a 2002 Syrah (with a little Grenache and Mourvedre blended in). A steal at $25, especially if you love the winery's style of big fat fruit bombs. Finally, not sure if this has been mentioned here before but the 2002 Estancia Monterey Pinor Noir is also released, a relative bargain at $25.

Edited by ademello (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying to find the latin american drink AGUARDIENTE as they have in Colombia. Doesn't seem that the SAQ carries it also the same for CACHACA from Brazil. Is there something similar available mfor both?

According to their website, the SAQ doesn't carry any Columbian products at present. And the only ones the LCBO carries are a couple of rums, no aguardiente. You could always try seeing if it's available on a private import basis.

You'll have better luck with cachaça: Cachaça Canna Schnaps eau-de-vie aromatisée (if the link doesn't work, go to saq.com and type the product code in the search box: 10232770).

• 1 month later...

Yet another sale in progress at the SAQ: until Monday, October 10, save 10% on purchases of six or more bottles of wine or spirits with a total price of $100 or more. "This offer applies exclusively to bottles of wine and/or spirits of a value of $10 or more each, after all other discounts. Coolers, beer, products in 3 or 4 L formats and gift certificate products are not included in this promotion."

Also, the SAQ has announced that it's cancelling the Sélections mondiales des vins competition in order to focus its energies on its sales network.

I never quite understood the Sélections mondiales. The SAQ had a hard time stocking the products and there were just too many. Though there were some real finds in the winners, on the whole, I'm happy to hear the project has been scrapped.

Actually, you got 2 promotions mixed up. The first one is $10 off on 6 bottles of over $10 in value. The second is 10% of for a $100-plus purchase on the website.

You're absolutely right. I must have read the 10$ as 10%. I think it's also the first time the promos for the outlet network and saq.com have been different. Anyway, $10 is not nearly as interesting a promo as 10%. Thanks for setting us straight.

they had the exact same sale erlier this year... i think it is to encourage people to buy oneline more than the store

juging from the crowds at the saq at marche atwater i think people understood it is 10 dollars off per botttle... people were stacking up like during the strike

• 2 weeks later...

happy halloweeen

sale at the saq

15% off on the internet

10%,15%,20% off from the store depending on the card you get (lucky draw)

in real and virtual world must spend $100+ to get the deal

sale ends oct 31

good luck

boo hooo

Edited by Vinfidel (log)

Funny thing is they give you the card when you come in the store and you get to sracth it right away so if you don't get the ellusive 20%, you can visit another store and try your luck again. Each store will had you one card a day.

Huh?! My neighbourhood store gives you the scratchcard at the cash. While you scratch, they ring up the total. Where you shoppin', Camp?

The 2001 Guigal Lalas (Mouline, Landonne and Turque) go on sale November 1 at the Signature outlet downtown. Fanatics usually start queuing at 6 a.m. for the privilege of paying $299 a bottle. See you there... not!

Just for fun, the menu of the Guigal closing dinner at this weekend's Montreal Passion Vin.

BANQUET DE CLÔTURE – E. GUIGAL

Chef Richard Bastien – Leméac

Canapés et champagne

Saumon fumé Leméac sur pain brioché et beurre moutardé

Tartare de cerf à l’huile de truffe

Shooter de fumet de crabe

Médaillon de homard, poire asiatique et bourgots de l’Atlantique,

jus parfumé au gingembre et au safran

Bar bio de Nouvelle-Zélande, trompettes de la mort,

haricots coco, fumet de crustacés, réduction de vin rouge

Carré de caribou du Nunavut, choux rouge braisé,

sauce gibier aux airelles sauvages

Fondue de Valbert sur pain aux noix

Soupe de fruits rouges, sirop à l’hibiscus et basilic,

sabayon froid au citron et gousse de vanille

Wines that will be presented:

Condrieu La Doriane 2004

Hermitage blanc 2003

Saint-Joseph Vignes de l’Hospice 2002

Côte-Rôtie Château d’Ampuis 2001

Côte-Rôtie La Mouline 2000

Côte-Rôtie La Turque 2000

Côte-Rôtie La Landonne 2000

(edited to add wines)

Edited by Lesley C (log)

Turns out M. Guigal is also going to be at the Signature at 10 a.m. on November 1 to sign (appropriately enough) bottles of his wine. I dare someone to show up with a half bottle of the Côtes-du-Rhône!