• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sacre bleu! It's the SAQ topic!

A favourite cheapie has been <a href="http://www.saq.com/pls/devsaq/recherche.pp_build_query?p_iden_tran=18895801&P_modi_url=0508111023&P_type_rese_dist=99&P_NIVE=2&P_mot_rech=borsao" TARGET=_blank>Borsao</a>. It's not exactly a secret find: my local SAQ can't keep it on the shelves, though I see from SAQ.com that it's in plentiful supply around town right now. An excellent use for $11.45, surtout avec des grillades.

Mr Fagioli: Spanish wines are a favourite of mine :) Especially as they're so often such a great value for your dollar. I'll be sure to give that a try.

I'm currently sitting here with three bottles of the Perdrix awaiting my attention. I can't WAIT to give it a try.

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

Mr Fagioli: Spanish wines are a favourite of mine :) Especially as they're so often such a great value for your dollar. I'll be sure to give that a try.

I'm currently sitting here with three bottles of the Perdrix awaiting my attention. I can't WAIT to give it a try.

The Bosao's a great buy.

With a forecast high of 26ºC (and that's at the airport; downtown will be a few degrees warmer), you're best off sticking those three bottles of Perdrix in the fridge. It'd be a shame to "cook" what has become a vanishingly rare commodity.

In the Gazette on Saturday Malcolm A gave a great review to an amarone by Nicolis ("Ambrosan" SAQ inv. # 00896860) for a hefty $75 compared to $44.95 on the Ontario side of the 401 (LCBO inv. #598219).

In the Gazette on Saturday Malcolm A gave a great review to an amarone by Nicolis ("Ambrosan" SAQ inv. # 00896860) for a hefty $75 compared to $44.95 on the Ontario side of the 401 (LCBO inv. #598219).

Wow. Are they the same vintages? I bought a couple of bottles of the Nicolis at the SAQ last year but I now see I didn't add them to my wine list and so can't confirm what I paid; as I recall, it was around $50.

At the higher end, the price discrepancies aren't usually so pronounced or always in the LCBO's favour. One of the more extreme examples was the 1994 Bordeaux premiers crus (Margaux, Lafite, Latour, etc.), which sold for $100 a bottle here ($90 during the 10% off sale) and, a few months later, were $495 in the Classics Catalogue. And the differences are not explained always by mark-up; factors like exchange rate and date of purchase also enter into play. (Was told that's what happened with the '94 premiers crus; the SAQ bought them as futures, the LCBO didn't and the Bordeaux boom hit in the interim.)

They are both from the 2000 vintage.....

I also note the price difference between Beringer 1998 Alluvium which is a personal favourite. $55 ici, $39.95 la bas.....

I wouldn't mind a few dollars but when we're talking 30 or 40 percent differences it becomes a tad much.... :angry:

Edited by eat2much (log)

Hah! returned the corked coldstream hills, and found the borsao right next to it at the cash. Grabbed two bottles and exchanged them, plus change :) I'm happy! At $11.45, even if it's only drinkable, it's a steal.

I uncorked bottle 1 of my perdrix this weekend too.... mmmm... *falls in love*

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

Two new promotions, both in effect from today (May 19) through Monday (May 23):

- in the outlets, 10% off purchases of six or more bottles of wine and/or spirits each worth $10 or more

- at www.saq.com, 10% off all purchases of $100 or more.

• 3 weeks later...

Have only just begun tasting some of this summer's rosé offerings, if anything more depressing than last year's. Report to follow at some point, assuming I don't get fed up with drinking dreck. That said, I've encoutered one really bright spot — not only the best of the rosés tasted to date but good enough that I expect it won't be beat by the remainder — and I thought I'd send out a heads-up, as the wine is fairly flying off the shelves (several outlets have already sold out) and all signs are pointing to a rosé summer if ever there were one.

2004 Vin Gris de Cigare, Bonny Doon ($16.55, i.e. $0.05 more expensive than the 2003, while many French rosés have gone up $1 or so).

Nearly half grenache, slightly more than a quarter mourvèdre and the rest cinsault, rousanne, syrah and marsanne. 13% alcohol/volume, which it wears lightly.

Light orangish pink to the eye. Inviting nose of nectarine and lime/orange/grapefruit zest with some hibiscus and garigue floating around in there too. Strawberry/peachish (mit pit) on the palate with herbes de Provence and a touch of creaminess. Good acidity and, unlike the 2003, totally, blessedly dry. Persistant grape skin (Red Flame?) flavours on a finish that just doesn't quit. I can confirm that it makes an excellent aperitif with savoury nibbles; it's also easy to imagine alongside grilled salmon, seafood and chicken, paella, charcuteries, tarte aux blettes...

This is one of the best-ever Vins Gris de Cigare, folks, easily rivalling any Tavel or CDR you might care to mention. And unlike them, it comes with a screwcap. Carpe diem.

Edited by carswell (log)

I noticed a very strange and potentially disturbing phenomenon while shopping at the SAQ on St. Denis near my place (this is the one right next door to Academie, on the corner of the Duluth). I bought a mixed case of vin, including some Saintsbury Pinot Noir, a Maculan dessert wine, some nice Hermitage, some Wolf Blass Premium Cab. I was having some friends over, so I skipped straight back to my apt (2 blocks away, which is well-cooled) and proceeded to open the bottles over the course of the evening.

Something I noticed immediately is that corks were soaked in the Pinot. Soaked as in, the cork itself was squishy. The wine did not taste cooked but it was certainly warm. I wish I had my wine thermometer to measure a reading, but I can tell you that the bottle was warm as if it had been left in a car.

The same, to a lesser degree, could be said of the Hermitage. Tasted fine, but definitely heated. This was amazingly obvious with the Blass, tasting super hot from the heat of the alcohol and the heat of the wine itself.

Had any of the wine been bad, of course I would have returned it. But this is not the case - the wine was just warm.

I am guessing that due to the heatwave many ACs were not functioning properly. This is also compounded by the fact that a busy SAQ like the one I am speaking of probably never has time to cool down due to the fact that the door is opening and closing constantly thanks to the traffic.

Had I been planning on cellaring this stuff, then certainly I would have sought out a refund. My concern is how long the 'heat damaged' wine will be sitting on the shelves. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I also see lots of SAQ stores with big windows and lots of products on display (and for sale!) DIRECTLY in the window. What's the story with that? Has anyone bought what MUST be UV- and heat-damaged wine like this?

the heat melted the chocolate bits in my jordan's morning crisp cereal. imagine, i had to refridgerate my cereal! i can imagine wines sitting in the heat any length of time would lose the war on drugs.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Heads up! From Thursday, June 16, through Sunday, June 19:

- 10% off all wines over $20

- 10% off all saq.com purchases over $100.

Edit: The first promotion applies to all red, white and rosé wines, aperitif wines, dessert wines, Quebec wines and sparkling wines including champagne in all outlets, including the Signature stores. It does not apply to bottles three litres and bigger or to gift packages.

Edited by carswell (log)

here's a list of delightful spatlese rieslings, most of quality, available at the lcbo for $20 and under:

HAUTT RUDESHEIMER ROSENGARTEN SPATLESE

Germany | WEINGUT EDUARD HAUTT K.G.

LCBO 37507 | 750 mL | $ 12.05

SIEGERREBE SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut Werner Anselmann

VINTAGES 722041 | 750 mL | $ 14.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2002

Germany | Weingut Louis Guntrum

VINTAGES 913848 | 750 mL | $ 14.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut Königswingert

VINTAGES 915975 | 750 mL | $ 14.95

SCHEUREBE SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut Meiser

VINTAGES 927830 | 750 mL | $ 14.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2002

Germany | Weingut Carl Finkenauer

VINTAGES 996249 | 750 mL | $ 14.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Porta Nigra

VINTAGES 927749 | 750 mL | $ 15.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 1995

Germany | Weingut Dr. Zenzen

VINTAGES 960138 | 750 mL | $ 17.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 1999

Germany | Weingut J. & .H.A. Strub

VINTAGES 707117 | 750 mL | $ 18.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 1998

Germany | Weingut Studert-Prüm

VINTAGES 912659 | 750 mL | $ 18.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2002

Germany | Weingut J. & H. Selbach

VINTAGES 995738 | 750 mL | $ 18.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut Hans Lang

VINTAGES 901280 | 750 mL | $ 19.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut Villa Sachsen

VINTAGES 905489 | 750 mL | $ 19.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut Karl Lingenfelder

VINTAGES 928192 | 750 mL | $ 19.95

RIESLING SPATLESE 2001

Germany | Weingut G.H. von Mumm

VINTAGES 980185 | 750 mL | $ 19.95

here's a list of spatlese wines available from the saq under $20:

I stopped by the big SAQ in Les Cours Montreal Royale today. Wow - what a selection of under $20 JUNK!! I guess the SAQ really specializes in low-end sh*t. Not to be an uneducated complainer, I picked up 3 cases of under $20 stuff that I had never tasted. Much of it is Chilean/Argentinian/Spanish. Nothing from the USA to be had under $20 that is not under $10 or under $5 from our neightbors to the south. Was physically nauseatued to see cases of LITTLE PENGIUN littering the store.

My first sub $20 bottle is something called BORSAO from Spain for $11.45. Tastes like lemon-scented kool aid. My guess is new contender for PROVIGO wine of the year. Garbage but harmless. Also got the 2003 LA Cetto Petite Syrah and Cab Sauv. The Cab is raunchy like Crescent St. at 3:15 am. The Petite is all tannins no fruit. I bought the EXP Paso Roble Syrah, lovely at $19.95. Also some fine Canadian wines incl. a riesling from Joackson-Triggs, as welll as their Cab-Shiraz (over $20).

What is the story with the SAQ and the SHITLOADS of junky cheap-ass wines?! WHo buys that crap? They have SEAS of plonk from Chile, France, Italy, Spain. I could not bear to see shite like Little Pengiun being sold on the monopoly's shelves!

What I did see that was value - magnum of Dominus for $220! Other end of the spectrum but still a fair deal.

Funny, I was just in South Carolina and I was shocked by all the crappy cheap wine there. And take a look -- or better yet a taste -- of the cheap stuff in France and you might not hate the SAQ so much. I have bought a ton of nice wine in the $20 range at the SAQ, mostly French.

As for the Little Penguin, they are having a big launch party this week. Don't forget, if it's crowding SAQ shelves, it's paying good money to be there.

Funny, I was just in South Carolina and I was shocked by all the crappy cheap wine there. And take a look -- or better yet a taste -- of the cheap stuff in France and you might not hate the SAQ so much. I have bought a ton of nice wine in the $20 range at the SAQ, mostly French.

As for the Little Penguin, they are having a big launch party this week. Don't forget, if it's crowding SAQ shelves, it's paying good money to be there.

Dunno about the wine in SC, nor do I know about the wine in Boise, Idaho or Des Moines, Iowa. All I know is that in a booze-loving, French-speaking city like this, we deserve better wine for our money. Also if you live in SC you can have wine shipped direct to you (SC is not reciprocal so you pay taxes but still...).

What's the good stuff from France for $20? Please do share. Scouring the shelves of the SAQ in the Old Port this afternoon and I was even more afraid for the local wine drinkers.

The only good thing about Little Penguin is that maybe it will herald the beginning of wine advertising in .QC. I notice that there is very little advertising locally. Hopefully the importers or producers will start using advertising to educate our numbed public into demanding better wine from our government.

I assume you are referring to the "launch party" at Cafe des Eclusiers? Is anybody going? Maybe this can be an unofficial 514 offline? If anyone wants to grab a bite post-party maybe we can all go to L'Express or a BYOB and live it up.

My first sub $20 bottle is something called BORSAO from Spain for $11.45. Tastes like lemon-scented kool aid. My guess is new contender for PROVIGO wine of the year. Garbage but harmless. Also got the 2003 LA Cetto Petite Syrah and Cab Sauv. The Cab is raunchy like Crescent St. at 3:15 am. The Petite is all tannins no fruit.

[...] WHo buys that crap?

I do, and I'll tell you why.

For one thing, those two particular wines correspond to a $10+tax sticker at Provigo. I haven't tried much from the supermarket or dep, but I'd bet they're better than anything at that price. Certainly better than the few bottles I tried during the strike. What do they offer? They compare favourably to most things I've tried costing around 50% more, so I drink 'em.

Second, I am, and freely admit to being, part of the great unwashed for whom spending $20-25 on a bottle of wine is a splurge. I don't know much about wine -- I'm sure I'd rank dead last if we compared the wine knowledge of the people posting in this thread -- and yet compared to the general population I probably have slightly above-average knowledge.

For every one of me, there are four or five who neither know nor care that there are dozens of different grape varieties and wine regions to be explored -- and dozens more variables that combine to result in the specific product in your glass. I know and care, but haven't yet reached the point of caring enough to spend the time and money required to develop the kind of discriminating palate you and other knowledgeable posters have worked to develop.

In other words, the SAQ's offerings reflect mass-market tastes. You are part of a very small discriminating elite, and that is fine. I wish I could join you, and maybe someday I will. But for now, my wine budget is small and I look for cheap wines that represent a bargain compared to peers costing $15-20. If you try some other wines in the $12 range, I think you will find that my mission is nicely accomplished by Borsao and L.A. Cetto petite sirah (which was a recommendation from a poster whose wine knowledge appears to be very extensive). Just pop open a bottle of Candidato if you don't believe me.

As an aside, Carswell offered me a long list of recs in the $15-30 range a couple of months ago. I confess I've only tried two or three of them so far -- so I know I have only myself to blame if my palate remains crudely barbarian. The Chateau des Charmes Viognier was a hit; the Montauriol less so (though I clearly opened it with the wrong meal -- I don't remember what we had, but it wasn't the meaty fare it should have been).

Other recent purchases on the upper end of my range have been a 2001 Lucien Albrecht muscat (tasted of rose petals) and a 2002 Cuvée Émile Willm pinot gris, both of which I found delicious. I have also had a couple of bottles of the Lurton pinot gris as recommended by someone else. I enjoy this wine, but for about the same price I'd just as soon have a low-end Alsatian pinot gris, with its more lively, fruity style.

I woke up this morning with a nasty sinus infection that has been building since yesterday, so my tasting abilities were probably impaired.

My friends tell me that the real value point for the SAQ is south american wineries, which I confess I know nothing about. Hopefully I'll learn more in the next few months.

I was surprised to see that in the sub $15 category there were almost no german or Austrian wines, let alone the typical new world wines.

Don't get me wrong - I too would prefer to drink the best possible wine for the best price. I was just surprised to be steered towards those choices. I sniffed at the remained for the Cetto Petite Sirah and I could begin to see the attraction; the tannins had softened and I could detect the start of the inky black fruit that distinguishes the varietal.

Thanks for this, Mr. Beans. I'd avoided replying because the post came across as either a troll or an insult thrown at the upthread correspondents who said they liked the Borsao and L.A. Cetto petite sirah. Having had both wines, the Borsao on several occasions, I consider neither excremental in the slightest.

The Borsao was first recco'd to me several months ago by one of best (most knowledgeable, experienced and perceptive) wine tasters I know: "Difficile de demander plus à ce prix-là" was how he put it. Others have since joined the praise-signing chorus, including many local critics, e.g. Phaneuf, the only one whose guide I have at hand, who gives the wine three stars ("très bon") and a heart ("bon rapport qualité-prix") and includes it in his yearly list of 24 good wines under $13. Sure, I wouldn't complain if it showed greater breadth, depth and length. But at $11.50, I'm happy to drink it, lightly chilled, with picnic chicken or a weeknight pizza. And, to speak from recent experience, it makes an excellent basis for a daube provençale.

The Cetto I'm less enthusiastic about — indeed, I found it hard to finish a bottle over two nights — but not because the wine lacked fruit. On the contrary, the highly extracted, superripe and jammy fruit is what made it hard to swallow (I buy a bottle of shiraz about once a decade; U.S. wines account for less than 5% of my purchases these days; and I tend to view a 90-point-or-higher rating from Parker as a warning). But I can certainly see how fans of the style would find the wine to their liking.

There's no denying that the SAQ could do better at the low end. Many value wines that US east coast wine geeks rave about are unknown to Quebecers. Has the SAQ ever stocked any of the Clos Roche Blanche portfolio? And as dutchrusk points out, our selection of inexpensive German wines is laughable (though at least part of the reason is lack of demand; as a group, Ontarians prefer sweeter wines and are not predisposed to francophilia; also, many more of them have Germanic roots). With California wines, I think the problem lies more with the prices. Even in the States, it's hard to find much of interest in the sub-US$15 range (still, Pepperwood Grove and Navarro are two high-QPR labels I'd like to see on our shelves). And let's not place the blame entirely on the monopoly's shoulders; nothing is stopping Quebec-based "promotional agents" (the so-called importers) from pitching such wines to the SAQ.

A couple of final points: When comparing prices, people should remember that the mark-up is ultimately determined by the Quebec government (the SAQ controls only how part of the mark-up is applied) and that our prices include sales tax (a hefty 15+%) while US prices almost never do. And check out some of the non-eG wine boards where at least two New York wine geeks are in the midst of posting notes from low-end taste-a-thons. One, whose ceiling is US$10 (after case discount and before taxes), has had a success rate of around 3%. The other, whose ongoing series is titled "Boatloads of Cheap Crap" but who is willing to pay slightly more, is probably averaging 6-8%. And, by the way, one of the authors quotes a NYC wine store clerk as saying "$20 is the new $10." Well, US$20 sans sales tax works out to about C$28.50 including GST/QST. And, there are plenty of excellent wines on sale at the SAQ for much less than that.

Edited by carswell (log)

I am neither a troll nor an insulter with an agenda; I just have my own opinions. I can see how the Barsao appeals to those that love sangria, wine coolers, and the spiked high school punch of their teenage years. To me, it's Sutter Home from Spain. However, I will not condemn it yet, I'll take Casswell's advice and chill it next time before I guzzle.

I take back my comments about the LA Cetto; the Petite is tasting fine tonight, nothing special; I would argue that it is neither over-extracted nor a fruit bomb, but it is a tooth-staining inky monster. To me, it's more of a rustic home-made style that one would expect from Baja California. Definitely good value at the price, in fact I will buy a case and lay it down for 2-3 years to see what happens. Anyone drinking this today would best guzzle each glass alternating with a glass of water and Maalox.

When you have a monopoly, you leave yourself open to criticism. My experience with the SAQ has been sub-par so far, I had the shock of my life this afternoon while trying to procure some CANADIAN ice wines for some incoming business clients tomorrow - their selection is horriffic.

Also, an informal tour of the terrasses of the city confirms that Little Pengiun monster has taken over the wine lists in the Old Port. Peeking into the wine cellar at LES REMPARTS, an allegedly "award-winning" wine list, I saw more bottles of Little Pengiun than anything else, all chilling at a subdued 55 degrees... Scary stuff.

One last issue - is there a release schedule for the SAQ? I asked the store manager at the one in the Eaton Center and he said that wines fairly randomly show up and that we should not expect the summer Zinfandel release until AFTER the summer?!

I am neither a troll nor an insulter with an agenda; I just have my own opinions. I can see how the Barsao appeals to those that love sangria, wine coolers, and the spiked high school punch of their teenage years. To me, it's Sutter Home from Spain.

I don't particularly care for sangria, have tried a wine cooler a total of once in my life, have no fond memories of spiked punch and scorn Sutter Home even on airplanes when it's the only option, so perhaps you'll understand why I find such comments insulting. I also find them totally off the mark. How you get from a medium-bodied, dry, mainly grenache blend (20% tempranillo and 10% cabernet sauvignon) with a tart finish to a wine cooler or fruit punch is beyond comprehension.

When you have a monopoly, you leave yourself open to criticism.

Any merchant, monopoly or not, is fair game for criticism. But if the criticizer doesn't want to be written off as a whiner or a windbag, he had better know something about the object of his criticism.

My experience with the SAQ has been sub-par so far, I had the shock of my life this afternoon while trying to procure some CANADIAN ice wines for some incoming business clients tomorrow - their selection is horriffic.

Certainly not as good as in Ontario or, for west coast ice wines, Alberta and BC. And less good than it used to be. There's a reason for that: it doesn't sell particularly well anymore. Quebec consumers find it always expensive and often overpriced. Many would rather drink a sweet wine from France, Italy or Portugal; others opt for the new "ice wine" on the block, ice cider, or one of the far more affordable and, frankly, frequently more enjoyable late-harvest wines from Ontario, such as Château des Charmes' late-harvest riesling.

Also, an informal tour of the terrasses of the city confirms that Little Pengiun monster has taken over the wine lists in the Old Port. Peeking into the wine cellar at LES REMPARTS, an allegedly "award-winning" wine list, I saw more bottles of Little Pengiun than anything else, all chilling at a subdued 55 degrees... Scary stuff.

So? The SAQ isn't pushing it on restaurateurs. And, as LC points out, the only reason you see so much of it on display in SAQ outlets these days is because the promotional agent is paying megabucks for a short-term promotional blitz in hopes of a Yellow Tail-like success. If consumers like it, it will stay around. If they don't, it'll be a flash in the pan. Are you suggesting the SAQ and restaurants not stock popular wines? That the SAQ not accept fees for shelf-talkers and end-of-aisle displays, fees it'd have to make up by raising prices or cutting back service?

One last issue - is there a release schedule for the SAQ? I asked the store manager at the one in the Eaton Center and he said that wines fairly randomly show up and that we should not expect the summer Zinfandel release until AFTER the summer?!

If you mean like the LCBO's, no. Thank god.

www.saq.com has a monthly list of a dozen or so selected new arrivals that usually goes up a couple of weeks before release. In the early days of www.saq.com, they used to list nearly all impending arrivals a week or three in advance; have never understood why they stopped, though it might have been related to the switch-over to the new inventory tracking system that now enables them to provide real-time availability listings for products, even on their website.

The Courrier vinicole works something like the LCBO's Classics Catalogue, although the wines in a given offer tend to be from a single region. For example, the current offer, also available through www.saq.com, is for 2002 Burgundies.

The date and location of the release of a very few high-demand, low-quantity items, such as Tignanello and Sassicaia, are announced a month or so beforehand. Diehards begin queueing at 5 or 6 in the morning. The doors open at 10 and the stock is sold out by 10:30 or 11.

The Signature and some Sélection outlets send out mostly weekly e-mail announcements of new arrivals and specials.

If you're interested in the wines of a particular producer — California's Ridge, for example, or France's Beaucastel — you can contact the promotional agent for a general idea of the release date. The outlets that will stock it usually have a good idea of when they will receive it.

Edited by carswell (log)

Love the Borsao, if you will - if I want my wine to taste like Lollipops, I'll put the bottle on a stick and shrink wrap it.

The SAQs time has come and gone Carswell. They serve no purpose in our world today beyond ensureing that our fatcat govt has a strong source of revenue. I say put the concession up for tender and let the strong big importers bid for it.

My tax dollars being diverted by an agent who compensates the SAQ to promote Little Penguin? Surely you are joking. In a open, fair market I welcome the rise of Little Pengiun, Sutter Home, Arbor Mist, Yellow Tail, and whomever else wishes to compete for that segment. Here where our government shields us so it can skim all the profits? I expect nothing but the finest wine at the $10-$15 price point.

Thanks for the heads up on the courrier vinicole. I was looking more for the value price sub $20 zins I can use to fuel my BBQ rather than high-end offerings. I bought a bunch of Coppola merlot today ($27 a bottle!) which I am used to buying at my supermarket, i just closed my eyes when I hit the cash register to pay....

The SAQs time has come and gone Carswell. They serve no purpose in our world today beyond ensureing that our fatcat govt has a strong source of revenue.

People in the Saguenay and the Gaspé would strongly disagree. As a self-centred Montrealer, I lean toward privatization; if I lived outside a major urban area, I wouldn't. And, like it or not, our political system gives voters outside the city a disproportionate say in how things are run.

Also, many in the biz and around the fringes don't feel even Montrealers, except for a fortunate few with the deepest pockets, would be better off post privatization. Due to its buying power, the SAQ has enormous clout with producers. If, like most Quebecers, you're a fan of French wines, you'd probably find your choice limited, not increased. Certainly, when I look at US cities of comparable size and wealth, I don't see the overall wine situation as being any brighter than it is here; quite the contrary, in fact. And wine lovers there end up running around a lot more than they do here.

I say put the concession up for tender and let the strong big importers bid for it.

It'll never happen. The monopoly is far too popular with the general public, and the unions simply wouldn't stand for it. There's discussion of this upthread, so I won't repeat it here.

My tax dollars being diverted by an agent who compensates the SAQ to promote Little Penguin?

Please explain how a promotional agent who bids the highest in a competition and then forks over tens of thousands of dollars for end-of-aisle placement of products already on sale at the SAQ is a diversion of your tax dollars. And do you really think such product placement doesn't happen in, say, your neighbourhood grocery store or dépanneur? Hoo, boy!

In a open, fair market I welcome the rise of Little Pengiun, Sutter Home, Arbor Mist, Yellow Tail, and whomever else wishes to compete for that segment. Here where our government shields us so it can skim all the profits?

Get your facts striaght. The government doesn't shield us to skim all the profits. In a privatized system, the government would make sure its take is every bit as high as now.

I expect nothing but the finest wine at the $10-$15 price point.

Your definition of what constitutes the finest wine, of course. Unfortunately for you, most people would rather drink Little Penguin. Life's a bitch for us snobs, you know.

edit: spelling, clarity.

Edited by carswell (log)