• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sacre bleu! It's the SAQ topic!

The Signature stores have just received a few cases of Joblot's 2002 Givry reds. Joblot is the appellation's top producer:

Jean-Marc Joblot est la star incontestée de son village de Givry. Viticulteur perfectionniste, il avait compris que les meilleurs coteaux de l'appellation offraient un potentiel de qualité aussi élevé qu'en Côte d'Or. Avec son frère, il a réduit les rendements et appliqué les principes de vinification et d'élevage les plus adaptés à la qualité. Le résultat ne s'est pas fait attendre : leur Servoisine rouge et leur clos du Cellier aux Moines ont égalé les meilleurs cuvées de Côte de Beaune et obtiennent un succès mondial mérité.

-Bettanne et Desseauve

I haven't tasted the 2002s but earlier vintages have been lovely. Although prices are inching upward, you'd still be hard pressed to find better QPR. And 2002 is generally considered a successful year. In other words, these will fly off the shelves. If you're interested, get on the blower now.

Givry premier cru 2002, Clos de la Servoisine, Domaine Joblot, $38.50

SAQ code: 10213384

Givry premier cru 2002, Clos du Cellier aux Moines, Domaine Joblot, $38.50

SAQ code: 10213368

Givry premier cru 2002, Clos Grand Marole, Domaine Joblot, $38.50

SAQ code: 10213350

Givry premier cru 2002, Pied de Chaume Domaine Joblot, $33.75

SAQ code: 10213376

Edited by carswell (log)

Carswell, as a side note on Cloudy Bay - tried to score some from the distributor in Toronto last year. (The Merchant Vintner Ltd. ) Allocation was long gone in August and this year it's worse because they had bad spring frost in NZ 2003.

Dropped by the Signature store on Friday and chatted for a while with one of the clerks. The subject of New Zealand wines came up. The clerk offered the information that in May one of the SAQ's buyers attended a New Zealand wine event in Toronto and was extremely impressed by the quality of the wines, especially the rieslings and pinot noirs. With one exception, the clerk didn't know what, if anything, had been ordered. The exception was the Cloudy Bay sauvignon blanc, so sometime in the next year it should be on sale at the SAQ, probably the Signature store. And the closures will be twist caps (the SAQ approves).

The clerk also said they'd tasted Joblot's Grand Marole, which they found surprisingly structured and in need of cellaring. Of course, the bottles are just off the boat and pinot noir is particularly susceptible to bottle shock, so final judgement should be postponed until the wine has had a chance to recover from the trip, about three months from now. They still have a few cases left. They received 600 bottles of each cuvée, less than last year's allotment but it's moving a bit more slowly because the Signature store is the only point of sale, whereas last year it was distributed through the Sélection outlets.

Perhaps a little off-topic (not about wine) and a little late (for me), but I'm curious about whether the infamous Screech Rum from Newfoundland can be found in Montreal. On my annual 36-hour blitz of MTL last week, I acted on a request to look for some with due diligence. I hit a number of SAQ's including a couple of fancy ones (on Jean Talon near the market and in the Halles du Gare) but all I got was "never heard of it". Is this a territorial thing? Is Screech too lowbrow for notice? Has anybody outside Newfoundland, New York City or Toronto even heard of it?

Edited by Gary Soup (log)

I'm curious about whether the infamous Screech Rum from Newfoundland can be found in Montreal.  On my annual 36-hour blitz of MTL last week, I acted on a request to look for some with due diligence.  I hit a number of SAQ's including a couple of fancy ones (on Jean Talon near the market and in the Halles du Gare) but all I got was "never heard of it".  Is this a territorial thing?  Is Screech too lowbrow for notice?  Has anybody outside Newfoundland, New York City or Toronto even heard of it?

You should have checked www.saq.com before heading out, Gary. The monopoly doesn't carry it and my most knowledgable contact there doubts they ever have. Cultural differences are probably to blame. The market for it here would be very small. If it's any consolation, I doubt there's much market for Quebec's rotgut Caribou on the Rock.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody know what this is all about?

Québec resserre le contrôle sur les vins du terroir

I don't know what private stores they are talking about that sells QC wine. Unless it's Marche De Saveurs etc. But their wine sales is made under some SAQ arrangement I thought.  I just can't believe it's the wineries own sales they are after.

Winemakers seek to dry up SAQ's control, an article by Jeff Heinrich in today's Gazette provides some background on the SAQ's move and details the wine and cidermakers' inspired riposte. As the article will be available online for only a few days, here's the gist and a few quotes.

Earlier this summer, the SAQ stopped supermarkets from selling local wine and cidermakers' products because the markets' mark-up was smaller than the SAQ's. In response, the producers and market owners "want to break the monopoly of the Société des alcools du Québec and create a free-market distribution system for Quebec-made beverages with more than seven-per-cent alcohol content." Their tactic? To invoke the 1864 Temperance Act of the United Province of Canada and petition municipal councils to draft by-laws prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages by the SAQ in their territories. The councils in Longueuil, Magog, Sherbrooke and Verdun were petitioned yesterday; petitions will be filed in Coaticook, Gatineau, La Pocatière and Quebec City next week. Only 30 signatures are required to force a municipal council to draft a by-law and hold a referendum within 60 days. Alternatively, a council can "take the less expensive option and pass it themselves." [The Temperance Act is a federal law so, barring some loophole, Quebec will be unable to pass legislation voiding it.]

"We think it's too bad that we're being dictated what we can and can't sell in our own store'" said signatory Jean-François Joanette, co-owner of a Metro supermarket in Verdun.

He used to stock 20 Quebec-made wines, fortified wines and ciders before being forced to remove them last month after the SAQ complained.

"A lot of Quebecers don't know much about the products made right here, only because they can't find them anywhere but the SAQ," Joanette said. "We think that's a shame."

Edited by carswell (log)

This just in. On Thursday, September 2, the Signature stores in Montreal and Quebec City will be selling two Cloudy Bay wines as part of their Guigal Lala event (go figure). As only miniscule quantities of the Lalas have been received, sales will be on a line-up, take-a-number and hope-for-the-best basis. The announcement makes it sound like the Cloudy Bay wines won't be sold the same way.

Le jeudi 2 septembre prochain, les vins de Guigal, reçus en très petite quantité, seront mis en vente aux succursales Signature.

Pour cette occasion, la clientèle devra accéder par l’entrée du 677 Ste-Catherine O, à partir de 6 h.  Cependant, la succursale ouvrira à l’heure habituelle, soit à 10 h.  Ainsi, à compter de 9 h nous procéderons à une remise de coupons numérotés afin de vous prévaloir un rang pour l’obtention des produits sélectionnés.  Un stationnement intérieur est disponible au Centre Eaton, rue McGill. 

La journée même, une quantité de vin sera également disponible, à compter de 9 h 30, à la  Signature de Québec,  située  au  Château  Frontenac.  Il  vous  sera possible  de  contacter monsieur Michel Morad au (418) 692-1182 ou sans frais au 1(866)333-0253 pour obtenir des informations supplémentaires.

The prices? More than reasonable for the Cloudy Bay, more than ridiculous for the Lalas.

Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc 2001, Osoyoos Larose, $35

Chardonnay 2001, Cloudy Bay, $33

Sauvignon Blanc 2002, Cloudy Bay, $24.75

Côte-Rôtie 2000, La Mouline, Guigal, $349

Côte-Rôtie 2000, La Turque, Guigal, $349

Côte-Rôtie 2000, La Landonne, Guigal, $349

edit: By the way, the line-up begins at 6 a.m. See you there... not!

Edited by carswell (log)

• 1 month later...

Heads up! Between Thursday, October 7, and Monday, October 11, 10% off all wines priced $20 and over. According to SAQ.com, the promotion applies to:

Aperitif: Madeira, muscat, Pineau des Charentes, white port, vermouth, and sherry

Dessert wines: red port, ice wine, Sauternes, etc.

Sparkling wine and champagne

Red, white and rosé wine

Also, another quick note - the SAQ seems to have re-priced some of their higher-end American wines. I only checked their Turleys and they seem to be down about 10-15% from their price a few weeks ago. Probably due to the recent strength of the Canadian dollar against the USD, which is pretty generous of them IMHO. Does anyone know how this happened?

Also, another quick note - the SAQ seems to have re-priced some of their higher-end American wines. I only checked their Turleys and they seem to be down about 10-15% from their price a few weeks ago. Probably due to the recent strength of the Canadian dollar against the USD, which is pretty generous of them IMHO. Does anyone know how this happened?

"Generous" might be too kind a word in that even at the revised $96.00 Cdn price, the 200 Dogtown Zin is still over %50 higher than the average $50 US asking price South of the border......

• 3 weeks later...

Boo! Resurfacing momentarily to report that a Halloween scratch 'n' save promotion is on at all SAQ outlets through Sunday, October 31. Purchases over $100 get you a coupon you scratch for an instant rebate of 10%, 15% or 20%. On-line purchases and telephone orders over the $100 threshold are discounted 10%.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The SAQ's outlet and office employees have rejected the monopoly's latest offer by a vote of 88%. And though bargaining talks are slated to resume today, both sides appear to be digging in for a long fight. Take, for example, the SAQ's recent announcement that it will be opening another Montreal outlet, the SAQ Dépôt, which will specialize in the sale of products by the case. Add to that the government's statement that it has no intention of passing back-to-work legislation and we're looking at restricted access to booze not only during the holidays but also well into the new year.

The LCBO reports a sharp increase in sales at outlets near the Quebec border, especially in Hawkesbury. And dep wine sales are said to be going through the roof.

I confess that I broke down and bought a bottle of dep wine yesterday. Dinner was to be linguini with scallops, olives, fennel, tomatoes and chile pepper, and the only whites I had on hand weren't appropriate (upscale oaky Graves, a full-throttle Savangin, a Mosel auslese and an old sweet Barsac). So I grabbed a bottle of Oro ($13.50 at BoniSoir, $2 above MSRP I see!), a dry Chilean white imported by the Maison des Futailles: non-vintage and, despite the meaningless "vin de cépage" sticker on the bottle, lacking any mention of the actual grape varieties used to make it (my guess is low-end sauvignon blanc with a dollop of something aromatic, like pinot blanc or torrentès). Inoffensive but devoid of complexity, terroir or the ability to provide pleasure is about the best that can be said of it. Anyway, I won't do that again.

Even if my storage is inconveniently located off-site, I've never been happier to have a small wine collection. The downside is that it consists mostly of wines for special occasions; I've always relied on weekly visits to the SAQ for day-to-day drinking. And I'm worried that if the strike stretches on I'm going to deplete my reserve, which includes a number of wines that are, for all intents, irreplacable, since they were semi-affordable when I bought them but are way out of my price range now (J-L Chave's 1990 Hermitage, a treat wine at c. $50 in 1993, now sells for c. $500, and even the latest vintage, the 2001, retails for $200+).

So, how are y'all coping? Have you switched to beer? Do you hold your nose and buy dep wine? Have you crossed the picket lines? (If so, any problems?) Hot-footed it to Ontariariario?

And what about restos and bars? Are their supply lines affected by the strike?

Lastly, what do you think this bodes for the SAQ? Comments on the web are strongly anti-union and pro-privitization. It's almost beyond imagining, but could this be the beginning of the end of the SAQ as we know it?

Edited by carswell (log)

I shop at Rockland and I have no problem crossing a picket line (these people have it a hell of a lot better than I do). I have a small cellar and I've been holding back from drinking the good stuff. I buy a case at a time now, but have no problem heading to the open SAQ outlets for my wine. I hear the head buyer is working at the De Maisonneuve store, so you're bound to get some good advice there.

I have been to several restaurants lately that are running low on supplies, but the situation is far from dire.

same here, what a joke. I cross the line no probs.

One thing that amazes me is just how pleasant and knowledgable the replacement staff is, wow... The fat lazy boy in Saint-Bruno never cared to give me the time of day in the 15 years that I have been there... he sure doesn't gain my respect today. Why is it, that a "cadre" working overtime can deal with customers 3 times better than the best unionised sommelier ?

Fortunately, I have a wine fridge witha 220 bottle capacity. I only have a few dozen bottles that need a lot of ageing and therefore have more than enough to see me through the strike. What irks me is that I would be hard pressed to make a list of 140 grievances about life in general. If you have more than a dozen complaints about your job, find another one!

Although I have crossed the picket line (once, and shamelessly gotten a friend who lives near the beaubien outlet to do so), I've tried to minimize it. I've been hunkering down into my cave-like crawl space to bring up bottles, implored visitors from Ontario to bring stuff, and even bought a grocery store wine (which I still haven't had the heart to crack open). I'm not really up on the grievances, but I've always found the SAQ guys to be at the very least helpful, and often brilliantly so. I hope this ends soon...

I'm not really up on the grievances, but I've always found the SAQ guys to be at the very least helpful, and often brilliantly so. I hope this ends soon...

You are lucky to have good help available, strike or no strike. In Ontario, the best I can expect is to have someone re-arrange the bottles in front of me while I am pondering what to buy...

You are lucky to have good help available, strike or no strike. In Ontario, the best I can expect is to have someone re-arrange the bottles in front of me while I am pondering what to buy...

Well, we get those here, too. A few years ago I called the Rockland outlet to inquire whether they had a certain Chardonnay in stock. The clerk who took my call said he'd go check. A couple of minutes later he came back with a question: "Chardonnay. That's a white wine, right?"

In Ontario, the best I can expect is to have someone re-arrange the bottles in front of me while I am pondering what to buy...

???? At the Vintage store in Ottawa, the service is usually very good. I have found their advice as sound as any from SAQ stores in Quebec.

???? At the Vintage store in Ottawa, the service is usually very good. I have found their advice as sound as any from SAQ stores in Quebec.

I know, I took a cheap shot (irresistable) at the LCBO, but the truth is 90% of their clerks never bother to upgrade their wine knowledge, and provide poor service, protected by a powerful union. Is it any different at SAQ?

Was at the Rockland SAQ today. Things are getting ugly. You now have to stand in line to get in and they only let a few people in at a time and there's a cop at the door. This is Dec. 15th. I figure by the 24th that lineup will be crazy. My advice: buy your booze NOW.

I have no problems crossing the picket lines, since they are a monopoly and its my only source. The fact that people want their booze keeps them employed. Public sentiment never runs really high when you're trying to deny a vice (indulgence?).

I find the line-ups a hassle but generally the staff is more friendly than normal. The fact that they're able still make over 75% of normal revenues tell the SAQ that they really don't need to negotiate. Once the holiday season ends they won't need as much staff and they can wait the union out.

However, there are some wines only at certain stores that are closed that I would like to get my hands on, but I guess I can wait until the new year.