• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sacre bleu! It's the SAQ topic!

wow - this is great! i never herd of this how come there is no discussion here

is anyone from here going? i assume lesley will go for the paper to tell the story?

good to see the price and have 1 year notices, i will need the time to save

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Three QPR wines now on the monopoly's shelves:

2005 Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, Kim Crawford, $17.15. Just off the boat. Superior to the 2004, this could be the model for NZ SB: fresh, crisp, juicy, tangy. Flavours tend more to lime and grass, less to gooseberry, pipi de chat and jalapeno. People who dismiss these wines as Fresca will not be swayed from that view; the rest of us will smack our lips and pour another glass.

2002 Terres Dorées, Beaujolais blanc "chardonnay," Jean-Paul Brun, $23.25. Haven't opened this yet but have no qualms about recommending it in a good vintage like 2002. Expect purity, balance, minerals, chalk, a bit of butter/cream, lemon, apple, almond. Brun is a non-interventionist (ambient yeast, little sulfuring, little filtering) and favours low alcohol levels (12% in this instance), meaning he doesn't need to chaptalize. There's not a lot of this around and it'll go fast: you have been warned.

2002 Casa de la Ermita, Jumilla, $19.60. A new estate near the coast south-southeast of Valencia. A blend of tempranillo, mourvèdre and cabernet sauvignon that sees some oak. Internationally styled but not flashy or slick, this is a rich, mouth-filling but not heavy wine. Gains heft with a half hour or so of breathing.

I was at the Pied de Cochon last week and tried a red named "Le Telquel - Un vin au poil dur". I could see from the label that it ws from France and the picture was of a teckel dog, but not much else.

The wine was one of the lowest priced at the PdC (37$ if memory serves) but it was very original. The dominant taste was peat, and could be compared to pu-erh tea. The wine was fizzy and had to be decanted. The sommelière had avised that this was a very different wine and not to everybody's liking. Well I loved it.

Does anyone know where we can buy this? Or how to find out? I'm pretty sure it was a private import....

I was at the Pied de Cochon last week and tried a red named "Le Telquel - Un vin au poil dur". I could see from the label that it ws from France and the picture was of a teckel dog, but not much else.

The wine was one of the lowest priced at the PdC (37$ if memory serves) but it was very original. The dominant taste was peat, and could be compared to pu-erh tea. The wine was fizzy and had to be decanted. The sommelière had avised that this was a very different wine and not to everybody's liking.  Well I loved it.

Does anyone know where we can buy this? Or how to find out? I'm pretty sure it was a private import....

Even before checking, I was sure from the name and description that the wine was made by Thierry Puzelat, one of the Loire's most iconoclastic producers. It's also on the list at Bû and, I believe, Pop. It's definitely a private import (the SAQ views its features as flaws) and chances are good it's brought in by Rézin. If not, the sommelier at APDC or guys at Bû will be able to give you the dirt.

Thank you Carswell! I never even knew that use mere mortals could benefit from private imports...

Have you ever ordered from Rézin?

Are all Puzelat wines generally good? Because although the Telquel isn't on Rézin, I see they have four wines from Clos du Tue-Boeuf and I now recall that the Telquel was associated with that house. I'm tempted, but when you have to buy 12 at a time, it's quite a risk!

very good question ribojoe, i do not know. will try to ask my contact for more details

Rezin is a great bunch of guys, also Reserve et Selection and LLC wines

Note that you have to buy by the case from most of these guys only a few like reserve et select will let you do a bottle or two

all the best wines when importer privee are reserved in advance so hurry up and order!

Thank you Carswell! I never even knew that use mere mortals could benefit from private imports...

Yep. It's one of the best ways to fill in the many gaps in the SAQ's offer. Not that's it's without problems, however. Prices are often higher than they would be on the open market. And big purchasers get the royal treatment (priority access to sought-after wines; invitations to private tastings; hand delivery of purchases; etc.). Still, some of the "importers" (quotes because the SAQ is technically the importer; the "importer" is the promotional agent) value wine lovers regardless of the thickness of their pocketbooks.

Have you ever ordered from Rézin?

Yep. They're a small firm. The prime mover, Jean-Philippe, has one of the best palates in town and is as funny as hell. You can trust them.

Are all Puzelat wines generally good?

I almost always find them unique and endearing. Serve them to someone with a Parkerized palate, though, and they'll accuse you of trying to poison them. And the SAQ generally refuses to stock the wines because they're unpredictable, can be cloudy, spritzy, bracingly tart, often have a sedement and (this always kills me) don't contain enough sulphur.

Because although the Telquel isn't on Rézin, I see they have four wines from Clos du Tue-Boeuf and I now recall that the Telquel was associated with that house.

Tue-Boeuf is run by the Puzelat brothers, Jean-Marie and Thierry, and produces wines from grapes grown in the family's vineyards. Thierry also makes wines from purchased grapes and sells them under his eponymous négociant label. See here and here for some background in English.

And just because a wine isn't on Rézin's website, doesn't mean it's not available. They're not religious about updating. And I suspect that if the quantities they receive are small, they don't make an effort to publicize the wine's availability, especially for wines with an assured audience of fans (like the Puzelat's).

I'm tempted, but when you have to buy 12 at a time, it's quite a risk!

Well, you could see if others were interested in splitting a case with you (hint, hint). Or you might approach the importer about selling you a mixed case. And, shocking as it may seem, some importers have been known to sell private imports in less than case amounts. Not that I'd ever suggest you or anyone else try to lead an upstanding importer astray by suggesting such a devious act to him.

Three of the 2003 Joblot cuvées landed at the Signature today and, except for the Clos Grande Marole, had sold out by noon, despite a $4.50 price hike ($43 vs. $38.50). Odd that the 2003s sold so fast when the probably superior 2002s took more than a week to disappear. Armand Rousseau's 2002 Chambertin Clos de Bèze and Ruchottes-Chambertin Clos des Ruchottes also flew off the shelves, despite the respective price tags of $195 and $135.

And Phaneuf's Guide du vin 2006 is now on sale at a bookstore near you. Also just published is a large-format soft-cover book of Phaneuf's colour photographs of vineyards and wineries around the globe.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, the gift card promotion ended last week. But what I heard is coming up is 10% discount for a purchase over $100 next weekend (dec. 9-11). I just finished my classes at SAQ Connaisseurs and the teacher told us that there won't be any bocing day promotion because it gets too crazy. They'll have 2-3 different promotions instead from now to the new year. He didn't go into details.

can anyone explain what SAQ depot sells?  For instance, will I find cheaper prices for champagne there?  Is it worth the drive?

The Dépôt concept has just been updated. From a November 10 news release available at www.saq.com:

Volume savings remain the cornerstone of the SAQ Dépôt concept, which also offers bulk table, varietal and controlled appellation wines. A range of discounts allows consumers to save from 3% to 25% every day. Customers also enjoy an automatic 15% discount when buying 12 bottles (10% for six bottles) of the same product (bulk products and 1.75-litre-format spirits excluded).

Lastly, the SAQ Dépôt product offer has been revised to include all the wines and spirits most popular in the other outlets of the SAQ network.

I've not been in a while but it sounds like you'll find the standard Classique range of Champagne there and if you're willing to buy it in half-case increments, you could save a few bucks. On the other hand, if you plan to buy fewer than 12 bottles, why not wait until next weekend's discount (10% off purchase of $100 and over) and buy it at your regular outlet? Also, you could always call the closest Dépôt (contact information here) and ask what they're stocking and if they have any bubblies on close-out special.

Edited by carswell (log)

I've been to the SAQ depot at Marche Central. There are two main features in this store:

1. You can purchase bulkwine which you fill into bottles you bring or purchase.

They have nice facilities for rinsing bottles as well as hand operated (but good) corking machines to seal your bottles after you fill up..... Selection of bulk wine usually by vareital, but I think also some blends. You can taste each wine - kind'a fun to hold a small paper cup under the spigot. We're talking bulk wines here.

2. A limited selection of wines, usually in three packs. Seems to me much limited if you're looking for quality.

It's worth checking out though, especially on a weekend just to see old Greek and Italian geezers arguing which bulk wine they should get. It's a bit of a scene, in spite of SAQ trying to make it sterile.

And who knows, for the holidays SAQ might feature deals.....

For those of you who are planning to get their hands on good sippers for the holidays, the SAQ is offering 10% off every $100 or more purchase in store and on the website this friday and saturday. Strangely enough, it doesn't carry over to sunday.

It's also worth noting that today's SAQ e-newsletter says this is "the last sale of the year," i.e. there'll be no Boxing Day sale with its 25% discount. :sad:

• 1 month later...

List of wines in a recent "nouveaux arrivages" tasting. All except the 2002 Juliénas are currently on sale at the SAQ, though some won't be for long (for availability, plug the code that follows the price into the search box at www.saq.com). Complete tasting notes will be found in the TN: Drinkers' dozen thread on the Wine forum.

- Sauvignon Blanc 2005, Marlborough, Kim Crawford ($17.15, 10327701)

- Sauvignon Blanc 2004, Marlborough, Jackson Estate ($20.00, 10383543)

- Fumé Blanc 2003, Dry Creek Valley, Lake Sonoma Winery ($22.35, 10353310)

- Menetou-Salon 2004, Morogues, Domaine Henry Pellé ($23.00, 852434)

- Touraine 2004, Domaine de La Charmoise ($16.95, 00329532)

- Beaujolais-villages 2004, Combe aux Jacques, Louis Jadot ($17.60, 00365924)

- Juliénas 2002, Domaine du Clos du Fief, Michel Tête ($20.95, N/A)

- Juliénas 2003, Domaine du Clos du Fief, Michel Tête ($22.85, 00743849)

- Primitivo di Manduria 2001, Terrarossa Pichierri, Vinicola Savese ($22.95, 00863852)

- Lytton Springs Vineyard 2002, Ridge ($51, 00513929)

- The Holy Trinity 2001, Barossa, Grant Burge Wines ($30.50, 10257871)

- Minervois 2003, Le Régal du Loup, Domaine du Loup Blanc ($21.55, 10405010)

Also, a couple of Ridge heads-up. First, the 2002 Geyserville is supposed to go on sale at several SAQ outlets this week; price will be $51. Second, the 2003 Lytton Springs and Geyserville (both at $44.95) and 2002 Home Ranch (at $84.95) will be part of the LCBO's January 21st release.

• 3 weeks later...

Those who understand the political nominations and shuffles at the SAQ know what a raw deal this decrease is, it is still a joke. The fact that wine lovers have to pay disgusting severence package to people who lie and almost break the law, isn't any comfort either.

Privatise it already !