• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Equipment at Home

I'm doing a story on New Yorkers who have real restaurant equipment in their homes. Do you guys know anyone who does? Crazy Legs Conti, the competitive eater, for instance, has a short-order griddle in his apartment so he can cook grilled cheese sandwiches and other foods en masse. Other things might include bar equipment, a legit smoker, big spits, restauarant broilers, walk-in freezers, stuff like that. I don't think it would include regular luxury items like subzero refrigerators and viking stoves.

Anyway, if you know anyone who has this kind of setup, either post it here if contact me. I think this could be a really cool story, and inspire people to get serious with their cooking lives. Just the other day I was at a Caja China party, and the feeling of bliss and accomplishment was palpable. :wub:

your pal,

Mr. Cutlets

Edited by Mister_Cutlets (log)
Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

I had a 3 burner Wolf 30,000 btu stock-pot range that I carted around when I was renting. Left so much grease in the apartments that you would want to own the patent to tsp. That was why they all had those big hoods over the stove.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I have a full sized deli slicer that my father "acquired" many years ago. Its a Berkel (i think that the name, I'm at work now) and I called the company to find out how old it was. According to them, it was made in 1968.....Still slices like a charm...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Much of the commercial cooking equipment people have in their apartments is not up to code for residential spaces, or at least the installation is not up to code. You'll probably want to mention that in the story. It's also why some people might be reluctant to step forward with personal anecdotes.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Much of the commercial cooking equipment people have in their apartments is not up to code for residential spaces, or at least the installation is not up to code. You'll probably want to mention that in the story. It's also why some people might be reluctant to step forward with personal anecdotes.

In New York or New Jersey, If you have a fire and the insurance company discovers you had pro restaurant equipment in your house and it wasn't up to code, they'll cancel your insurance. You can forget any kind of settlement on a claim.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Maybe some of you have equipment that is not exactly professional, but is generally only seen in pro kitchens. It's hard to believe that everyone on Egullet is working with apartment ranges, toaster ovens, and foreman grills. At the very least, I would think somebody out there would have a double basket deep-fryer.

Josh

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

You just want people in New York and I am in Calif. I have a Blodgett oven, a 20 qt. Hobart mixer, a Hobart dishwasher and a salamander on my cooktop. My kitchen is certified for commercial cooking but is built on to my home.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett